Sign in to follow this  
Moogthurso

Supporting our youth teams

Definitely is. Hopefully we can cultivate youngsters who break through and give us a foundation for the future over time. 

Robbie Deas is 20 years old and a product of the Celtic youth system and not ours, they invested 7 years in him and then let him go. I wonder if our youth set up is providing value for money.

The coaches are generally ICT players so there may be a lack of new ideas, could be some coaches taken in from outside the club may help stimulate things.

The £100k a year cost could be used for buying players that we need.  A coach from a spl team once told me the problem with youth players is that you may develop good prospect at say left back but its a right winger the  first team need, so player is let go.

We are fans of the team but I like many do not appreciate the brutal nature of the professional game and only a very few make it.

The solution might be that the Highland League becomes our youth setup. There you have youths playing against grown men which will prepare them for the physical nature of the Scottish game, youth players play against other young people until they make the first team and its a big step up.

The above may seem harsh but we are struggling financially at the moment and should consider all options in trying to move forward.