2020-21 Challenge Cup

Jack Waddington

Don't quite know when (or if) the cup is still happening, assuming the cup is still going ahead with invitees, the the teams will be:

All 32 Scottish Clubs plus 12 Colt teams (and Brora and Kelty if it's going from the very start).

Linfield and Coleraine from the NIFL.

Yeovil and Harrogate Town or Notts County from the National League.

Dunno who from the LOI, too confusing to find who.

And as per, TNS and Connahs Quay from the Cymru Premier.

Of everyone, the potential challengers for the cup I think will be, Us, Hearts, Yeovil and Notts County.

3 hours ago, Jack Waddington said:

Don't quite know when (or if) the cup is still happening, assuming the cup is still going ahead with invitees, the the teams will be:

All 32 Scottish Clubs plus 12 Colt teams (and Brora and Kelty if it's going from the very start).

Linfield and Coleraine from the NIFL.

Yeovil and Harrogate Town or Notts County from the National League.

Dunno who from the LOI, too confusing to find who.

And as per, TNS and Connahs Quay from the Cymru Premier.

Of everyone, the potential challengers for the cup I think will be, Us, Hearts, Yeovil and Notts County.

Remember that last season's tournament, in which we still have a very healthy interest, is still to be concluded.

The 'Caramel Wafer Cup' will have a very low priority and, if the tournament takes place at all this season, I expect that it will be very much scaled back with only the 30 clubs forming the Championship, First and Second Divisions with the possible addition of Brora Rangers and Kelty Hearts.

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Remember that last season's tournament, in which we still have a very healthy interest, is still to be concluded.

The 'Caramel Wafer Cup' will have a very low priority and, if the tournament takes place at all this season, I expect that it will be very much scaled back with only the 30 clubs forming the Championship, First and Second Divisions with the possible addition of Brora Rangers and Kelty Hearts.

Most probably, guess we'll have to wait and see how lockdown goes...

I suppose Brora v Yeovil might set a record for the longest trip for a competitive game in the UK.  Unless you make it to the final then this competition is a loss maker.  Personally I rather like it  but I can't see the clubs showing any enthusiasm for this.

• Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...

If the cup goes ahead this season, a sensible solution would be to restrict it to the 30 teams in the Championship and Leagues 1 and 2. 

Give us and Raith byes to the second round so last year’s final can take place on the weekend of the first round games. 

That means 28 clubs play in 14 first round matches, with us and Raith making it 16 clubs for the second round.

That avoids fixture congestion. 

• Agree 3

21 minutes ago, Robert said:

If the cup goes ahead this season, a sensible solution would be to restrict it to the 30 teams in the Championship and Leagues 1 and 2. 

Give us and Raith byes to the second round so last year’s final can take place on the weekend of the first round games. 

That means 28 clubs play in 14 first round matches, with us and Raith making it 16 clubs for the second round.

That avoids fixture congestion. 

That sounds to sensible Robert 😃

18 minutes ago, IBM said:

That sounds to sensible Robert 😃

Also sounds really unfair on the teams that have qualified. First Brora and Kelty are denied the chance from promotion now they aren’t even able to play in a cup competition. Doesn’t sit well with me just for ease.

56 minutes ago, Robert said:

That avoids 

Surely the sensible and fair solution for a slimmed down but equitable solution is for the cup to be on a knockout basis with the 30 league clubs eligible plus Brora and Kelty. 

That way nobody gets a bye and a little justice at least is restored to the winners of the Highland and Lowland Leagues.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3