Betfred Cup

CaleyTennis

Seeing as we are struggling to think of things to talk about, I thought I'd be the first to mention that the league Cup draw is tomorrow at 1300hrs and live on SPFL YouTube channel and Free Sports (Sky 422).

All I know is that there are 40 clubs to be drawn into 8 regionalised (North and South sections) groups. 

There are seeded teams and unseeded teams, but again I don't know who's seeded etc. 

Clubs in Europe are not in the draw. 

So, who would you like us to draw :ictscarf:

Given that fans are unlikely to get into these games and the club are likely to treat them as friendlies I'm hoping  for the most boring draw possible full of rubbish away days and teams we have played, or will play, way too many times over the next few months.

Saint Johnstone and then any three from Raith, Cove Rangers (only at home), Peterhead or Cowdenbeath.

1 hour ago, Jack Waddington said:

Can someone explain to me how Edinburgh is considered "North"? It is just to get some big games for the northern teams rather than clumping them with the Glasgow bunch or what?

It's because of the seeding. The following teams are seeded first for this competition:

St Johnstone ,Ross County, Hibs, Hearts Killie, St Mirren, Hamilton and  Livingston.

Of these eight teams the four most "northern" teams are the first four so that's why the two Edinburgh sides are in the "north" section.

Edited by RiG

Thank f'ck we've been drawn with Raith again. only the third year in a row that's happened and now we get to play them in the league as well. Third year in five we face Cowdenbeath and of course we've got Hearts in this competition as well as the league. Utterly dull.

And if East Fife is away I'm going to be raging as that's one of the few grounds I have left to visit in Scotland... 

• Like 1

One good thing about the group is that we don't have a Premiership side in it. Those teams you'd imagine will be fully up to speed by the time the rest of us pull on our boots for the first time. Everyone in Group A is starting "cold" to come extent.

I agree that not having a Premiership team in our section will help. There was always the concern that being so far behind one of these teams in terms of match fitness we would get absolutely pumped.

Yes, "North" is a joke. We are the only team north of the Tay. I also don't know why there are three Championship teams in our section.

If Brora draw Hibs at home that will be interesting. County also have a reasonably easy section with only Arbroath as a bit of a hurdle.

21 hours ago, MorayJaggie said:

The whole group stages are a bore every year. The same small pot of teams being drawn again each year. 

Agreed. It's become a very stagnant contest especially when it involves teams we play in the league. If fans aren't allowed in it will be worse still. 

8 minutes ago, Gringo said:

Agreed. It's become a very stagnant contest especially when it involves teams we play in the league. If fans aren't allowed in it will be worse still. 

As I said above even though the draw is predictably dull, save for East Fife potentially away, if fans can't get in I am happy with that as I won't be missing out on any decent matches. 

I've already been looking at Google Maps to see if you can stand outside the ground to watch a game at East Fife :laugh: 

• Funny 1

41 minutes ago, RiG said:

As I said above even though the draw is predictably dull, save for East Fife potentially away, if fans can't get in I am happy with that as I won't be missing out on any decent matches. 

I've already been looking at Google Maps to see if you can stand outside the ground to watch a game at East Fife :laugh: 

Aye just take a stepladder.

• Like 1

On 8/12/2020 at 8:30 AM, RiG said:

Are you hiring a cherry picker? Maybe the travel club could hire some double decker stay socially distant and watch from top deck.

7 minutes ago, MorayJaggie said:

Are you hiring a cherry picker? Maybe the travel club could hire some double decker stay socially distant and watch from top deck.

There has been a MEWP doing work on the Hibs ground recently. Might ask them if I can borrow that for later in the year :laugh: 

• Funny 1

23 hours ago, Jack Waddington said:

If I remember right, there's a wee hill outside the ground, but I don't quite know what the views are like.

Nah, the whole Methil Docks area is flat as a pancake. It has the look of somewhere that's been reclaimed from the sea.