Milestones & Memories

Scotty

m+m.pngAs noted on our Facebook and Twitter pages, we are delighted to help publicise a new book by ICTFC club historian Ian Broadfoot.  "Milestones and Memories" is Ian's second book about the club (Going Ballistic was his first) and provides a wonderful nostalgic trip down memory lane which is sure to bring back many happy memories. Anyone who knows Ian, as I have done since the early days will know how meticulous his fact and record keeping is. It has formed the backbone of our stats on this and other earlier versions of our site for many a year and we still use his records to double check and make sure what we have on here is correct. This makes this a must-have for any ICT fan. In fact, if you are like me at all you will buy 2 copies. One to read, one to keep for posterity!!

Its been a hard road to get this published, in no small part thanks to the Coronavirus, but with the help of the supporters trust, the club, and other businesses in the local area who provided support or assistance in kind, the book is now available for pre-order. 

For pages with a sidebar you can find a link on the right side of the page, or you can click below to donate to help with costs or to buy the book (or both). Pre-ordered books can be signed by Ian if you wish, and any donation over £20 will be acknowledged in the final book (or you can remain anonymous).  

BUY BOOK : https://shop.ictfc.com/product/pre-order-milestones-memories-book

DONATE TO COSTS : https://shop.ictfc.com/product/donations-for-milestones-memories-book

Thanks Scotty. I may inadvertently have hit the “report post” icon. If I did, it was totally accidental as I was looking for the pre order link. 

Hopefully there is enough interest and support to get it into print. 

Thank you Scotty. This is an amazing record of 25 years of ICT and a must for every fan. It is very much a book of memories of which we will all have played a part. Once again excellent work from our club historian. I for one can't wait to get my hands on a copy

No worries, nothing in the report area so you must have hit the correct link .... Definitely hope it garners enough financial support to get into print. If you are an ICT fan it really should be in your collection alongside his other book Going Ballistic, and also Against All Odds by @Charles Bannerman which is still available for free download HERE

14 minutes ago, Robert said:

Thanks Scotty. I may inadvertently have hit the “report post” icon. If I did, it was totally accidental as I was looking for the pre order link. 

No worries Robert. I have banned you from the site though just to be on the safe side.

• Funny 4

17 minutes ago, Robert said:

Is Going Ballistic still available anywhere?

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Going-Ballistic-Paperback-Ian-S-Broadfoot/303620499354?epid=89238079&hash=item46b131279a:g:9gUAAOSwSmxfCZVa

£20.94, free postage.  They say they have two available.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Going-Ballistic-Inverness-Caledonian-Thistle/dp/0953124010

7 used, from £20.

https://www.abebooks.co.uk/book-search/title/going-ballistic-inverness-caledonian-thistle-fc-the-first-decade-1994-5-to-2003-4/author/ian-s-broadfoot/

4 available, from £19.50.

There may be some overlap - ie the same vendors could be on more than one of those platforms.

On behalf to the Board of the Supporters Trust I would like to say how delighted we all are to be able to work with Ian Broadfoot and the Club in an effort to get Ian's wonderful book published.  You can read a bit more about the book and the background to the campaign in the article posted here.  Originally "Milestones and Memories" was intended to be published as part of the Club's 25th Anniversary celebrations, but financial difficulties exacerbated by the Coronavirus outbreak mean that the club has had other priorities on its cash.

Having seen the book in electronic format, the Trust Board were absolutely convinced that it would have wide appeal and would make a useful profit for the club.  We therefore approached the Club and it was agreed that if we led a fundraising campaign to raise the money for printing, the club would sell and distribute the book.  

"Milestones and Memories" is a very accessible book and is sure to be a source of enjoyment and happy memories for years to come - but only if it actually gets published!  The book will only go to the printers once printing costs are met in full, so we urgently need people to support the club by pre-ordering the book and/or making a donation.  Also, please spread the word!  There are a lot of folk who regard ICT as their team but who rarely look at ICT related social media sites.  There are many who rarely go to games but who might be encouraged to go to more if they read the book and recalled memories of some of the great occasions over the last 25 years.  We need you to help us reach out to these people so that they too can learn about the project and offer their support to the club.

This is a great opportunity to recall some great memories and produce some much needed funding for the club.  We hope this is a project that will generate a lot of interest and we thank you in advance for your support.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Ordered 2 copies (as i suggested myself) and also donated a little.

£14 for international postage seemed a bit high but looking up Royal Mail for both customer and business rates its not actually OTT.   (For World Zone 1 its between £10/£14 for packages weighing up to 1Kg for standard rates, and £7.16 per Kg for packages up to 2Kg if paying business rates)   

3 hours ago, Robert said:

Not sure if the club or Ian have any copies left. I have sent a question to find out.

If it is out of print it might be good if it could be put into a PDF version in the same way that happened with AAO a few years back. Biggest issue we had with AAO though - or to be exact that CB had with it, even as the author - was copyright. Good job he is into athletics as he had several hurdles to overcome to get all the permissions in place before he could place it into the public domain. 

I'm pretty certain the club has copies of Going Ballistic.  In the intervening years the book would have stopped selling so may have been taken out of the shop.  It's a very different style of book, but if interest in the new book promotes interest in Going Ballistic then there may be value in putting it back in the shop.

5 hours ago, Robert said:

Best guess is they took them off sale sometime after the shop got moved from the shipping container (some decade and a bit after the book was published). Got mine for free, so I think they were just desperate to get them gone, and the rest are either lying somewhere in the depths of the stadium storage or are long gone in the recycling. But best bet is finding them from the links above, managed to get Against All Odds for a fair bargain from one online book retailer, forget the name now, otherwise I doubt you're going to get it much cheaper.

6 hours ago, DoofersDad said:

if interest in the new book promotes interest in Going Ballistic then there may be value in putting it back in the shop.

if they have it they should sell it, even for a reduced rate. its an add-on sale. Sales and Marketing 101. 

For interest, just mentioning AAO on this thread today has seen a few copies of that downloaded too .... 

19 hours ago, Jack Waddington said:

For reference how many orders are needed, and how many orders have been made?

There's no specific target.  The bottom line is that the book won't go to the printers unless the printing and P&P costs have been met.  How many we get printed will be decided depending on the balance between pre-orders and donations.  The bulk of the printing costs is the set up, so we would would only need to raise roughly another 20% in order to double the number of books printed.  However there would be no point printing double quantity if the volume of pre-sales indicated that we were unlikely to sell the lower number as the extra cost would eat into the profits.  Depending on the level of donations we would probably need pre-sales of 2-300 copies.  In the event of donations alone being sufficient to fund the costs, then all of the sale price of each book would represent profit for the club!  Even on a minimum print run of 500 copies, that would represent a tidy profit for the club!  We therefore need both strong numbers of pre-orders and generous donations in order to get this terrific book to the fans whilst generating a much needed profit for the club.  Spread the word and let's make this a success!

I can't say how many orders have been placed as these will all be on the club's system, but I will be in regular contact with the club and hopefully we can give some updates on progress in due course.

Do you know ....

• Who was the first Chairman of the newly formed Caledonian Thistle in 1993?
  • Which team were our opponents on our Scottish Cup debut?
  • How much money an SFA tribunal decided we had to pay Lossiemouth for the transfer of Iain Stewart?
  • When the club changed its name from "Caledonian Thistle" to "Inverness Caledonian Thistle"?

The answers to these and lots, lots more can be found in Chapter 2 of "Milestones and Memories", Ian Broadfoot's terrific new book to celebrate the first 25 years of ICT.

But before you can dip into this treasure trove of information and memories, we need to raise the money to get the book printed.  Help to ensure you get your copy by pre-ordering one now and, perhaps make a wee donation to the costs?  You can do it here!

• Like 1

• tm4tj unpinned this topic