Starting line up.

CaleyTennis

What would you say is our strongest line up for the season ahead?

Imho its tough to call as we may still do business before Monday night's deadline.

I'd go something along the lines of:

Ridgers

McKay or new RB, Deas, Devine, Harper

Doran, Allardice, Carson, MacGregor

Keatings and Storey.

I am not good at this sort of thing so feel free to criticise or help me out 😛🤣

It’s hard to tell yet, but if everyone is fit and we make no more signings, I would try:

Ridgers

Mckay Devine Deas Harper

Welsh Carson

Doran Keatings Mackay

Storey

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 1

We discussed this on the latest podcast a week past Friday and at the time I went for:

Ridgers

McKay      Devine      Deas      Harper

Welsh       Carson

Doran                                                   MacKay

Keatings       Sutherland

Throwing Sutherland and Dan MacKay in there would obviously be a bit of a gamble, but my thinking was that I really don't want another season of seeing us slinging it up to a big target man from 30 yards in front of the goal line, and that front four would in theory allow for a bit more fluidity and flexibility up front, especially if Sutherland can hold the ball up more effectively than White did last season and bring Keatings into play more. On the basis of pre-season, though, I'm starting to think we maybe should give Storey his chance through the middle. 

If Toshney is injured again, then the rest more or less picks itself, I think, unless Robbo decides to throw Fyffe in ahead of Brad, which I wouldn't mind seeing, tbh. Welsh is the heart of the team if he stays fit, and although I like Vincent as a player, I think we need Carson's greater aggression and dynamism in there from the start.       

Edited by alternative maryhill
  • Agree 1

On ‎10‎/‎4‎/‎2020 at 2:01 PM, alternative maryhill said:

We discussed this on the latest podcast a week past Friday and at the time I went for:

Ridgers

McKay      Devine      Deas      Harper

Welsh       Carson

Doran                                                   MacKay

Keatings       Sutherland

Throwing Sutherland and Dan MacKay in there would obviously be a bit of a gamble, but my thinking was that I really don't want another season of seeing us slinging it up to a big target man from 30 yards in front of the goal line, and that front four would in theory allow for a bit more fluidity and flexibility up front, especially if Sutherland can hold the ball up more effectively than White did last season and bring Keatings into play more. On the basis of pre-season, though, I'm starting to think we maybe should give Storey his chance through the middle. 

If Toshney is injured again, then the rest more or less picks itself, I think, unless Robbo decides to throw Fyffe in ahead of Brad, which I wouldn't mind seeing, tbh. Welsh is the heart of the team if he stays fit, and although I like Vincent as a player, I think we need Carson's greater aggression and dynamism in there from the start.       

Another season, another almost new line-up to get used to, especially in defence

I guess Duffy is our go-to RB now, surprised not to see McHattie at the LB berth in your pick

We seem to have a bit of squad depth with options in defence, although Toshney looks like an occasional player due to his glass-like physic!

Is Kai Kennedy just a bit of padding do you think given the shortest of the loan, or are we looking at him before deciding on something longer term? (as Doran's replacement?)

MacGregor, Vincent and Storey give us some good options...don't know enough about Allardice

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/7/2020 at 12:18 PM, Eagle4Caley said:

Another season, another almost new line-up to get used to, especially in defence

I guess Duffy is our go-to RB now, surprised not to see McHattie at the LB berth in your pick

We seem to have a bit of squad depth with options in defence, although Toshney looks like an occasional player due to his glass-like physic!

Is Kai Kennedy just a bit of padding do you think given the shortest of the loan, or are we looking at him before deciding on something longer term? (as Doran's replacement?)

MacGregor, Vincent and Storey give us some good options...don't know enough about Allardice

Just catching up with this now, and a combination of injuries and having managed to watch streams of some of our pre-season and cup games has me rethinking a bit. I'd picked Harper over McHattie because of the way Barry Wilson raved about him in the close season, insisting that he was 'ready' and pretty much acknowledging that Tremarco hadn't been made a new contract offer for that reason. Harper's inexperience was evident against Hearts though (admittedly up against a very good player in Ginnelly), so I wouldn't be averse to McHattie maybe starting the season as first pick, although I'd love to see Harper come through.

Given how highly he's regarded (turned down a contract extension at Rangers, iirc) I'd be very surprised in Kennedy wasn't signed to be a starter, and it's really frustrating that he's had to self-isolate and miss our first games. I suspect that Rangers will hope that he hits the ground running with us so that they get an offer for him in January rather than losing him for free in the summer, so they must be expecting him to feature for us, whereas I suspect we'd be delighted to extend the loan if we were given the chance. I don't think there's any chance we'd be in the running to actually sign him.