Details for streaming home games

Robert

Great strike but predictably didn't see it actually go in as the camera was too slow. Not important though, who actually wants to see the live goals in the game anyway? 🤷‍♂️

Catch them on the highlights in a couple of days.  

The camera seemed a bit more consistently focused on the play in the second half, but hopefully the club is still exploring other options; a manned camera and a commentator who knows the team would make a huge difference. 

Edited by alternative maryhill
Posted the wrong thing in the wrong thread
  • Agree 3

I really commend the club for pushing the PPV service and I hope they get it right ASAP. I won’t be subscribing until I hear reports of success from future showings. I was hugely frustrated with the product that my £10 bought.  

A ball boy on a joystick could do a better job. Bin the auto camera nonsense please.  We are close to having a fantastic service and someone needs to take ownership to see that delivered please. 

I stopped watching 20 mins into first half. The streaming is absolutely dreadful. Gives me a sore head and is not fit for purpose. Please switch to West stand for camera siting for starters. 

Glad to have helped the club with paying for my season ticket though.

I'll stick to watching the highlights on YouTube the next day.

As i posted in the Matchday Thread, I reckon the wind had an effect on the stream as well, could see some tearing of the picture at times when there was the sound of a wind gust. I reckon the cameras got out of alignment, that then caused problems tracking the ball as it seemed to get lost whenever it moved from one camera zone to another. Could be that when it moved from one zone to the other it wasn't at the point of the picture expected and so the system started searching again, moving back to the middle of the pitch ?

18 minutes ago, Rasczak said:

As i posted in the Matchday Thread, I reckon the wind had an effect on the stream as well, could see some tearing of the picture at times when there was the sound of a wind gust. I reckon the cameras got out of alignment, that then caused problems tracking the ball as it seemed to get lost whenever it moved from one camera zone to another. Could be that when it moved from one zone to the other it wasn't at the point of the picture expected and so the system started searching again, moving back to the middle of the pitch ?

So in summary, it's crap. 😬

Edited by aaroncoganshogun
Edited, because I wanted to. Doh!!

50 minutes ago, Rasczak said:

Tbf we all know the wind blows into the main stand and also the sun. 

35 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

Tbf we all know the wind blows into the main stand and also the sun. 

Not excusing it, just thinking of what happened to cause it,. Of course, as we know about it should have been taken into account in the setup.

1 hour ago, Rasczak said:

1326584274_pixellotcamera.jpg.8bd307787b26ed3ef9004aa3bf7ca999.jpg

This is what the camera looks like.  Four fixed cameras and what looks like a mike, on top of a pole.  The system stitches the images from all four together, so that at all times it has a panoramic view of the entire ground - just like having a big screen in front of you.  The AI then controls a virtual camera pointed at the panoramic view, and decides how to "move" it and when to zoom in and out - it decides which part of the big screen we see.

Nothing actually moves - except when the wind shakes the whole assembly!  This would indeed cause the cameras' images to change slightly - in absolute terms, and also relative to each other - so the line of the join between adjacent images would move.  Easy enough for a human to cope with - more difficult for a machine.

They claim to have used and tested it on a number of different sports.  Though I suspect that most of the testing was done in more benign conditions than 50 feet in the air in autumn in one of the most exposed locations that you could think of!  Hope it can cope with extreme cold.

Edited by snorbens_caleyman
  • Agree 2

10 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

1326584274_pixellotcamera.jpg.8bd307787b26ed3ef9004aa3bf7ca999.jpg

This is what the camera looks like.  Four fixed cameras and what looks like a mike, on top of a pole.  The system stitches the images from all four together, so that at all times it has a panoramic view of the entire ground - just like having a big screen in front of you.  The AI then controls a virtual camera pointed at the panoramic view, and decides how to "move" it and when to zoom in and out - it decides which part of the big screen we see.

Nothing actually moves - except when the wind shakes the whole assembly!  This would indeed cause the cameras' images to change slightly - in absolute terms, and also relative to each other - so the line of the join between adjacent images would move.  Easy enough for a human to cope with - more difficult for a machine.

They claim to have used and tested it on a number of different sports.  Though I suspect that most of the testing was done in more benign conditions than 50 feet in the air in autumn in one of the most exposed locations that you could think of!  Hope it can cope with extreme cold.

I knew it was multiple cameras, and appreciate how it creates the output stream, I didn't realise it was a single unit. There were times on the stream today where you could identify clearly where the images from individual cameras overlapped, you could see a line or at times the advertising hoarding had a step in in where it shouldn't as if one image was focused few inches higher than another. The problems with losing the ball happened a lot when it crossed those lines, and not always when the ball was at speed, sometimes it was when a player was dribbling the ball and obscured it slightly, cross the line to the other camera zone, and the focus moved to the halfway line.

The quality of the actual image itself was pretty good I thought, I forced the stream to 1080, just that that image displayed was not always the one I actually wanted to see. Definitely appears that if not in optimum position/circumstances, the limitation of the AI is seriously exposed. I am reading elsewhere that Alloa are getting a manual control system in for their installation, something we need to look at if possible.

2 hours ago, alternative maryhill said:

The camera seemed a bit more consistently focused on the play in the second half

Yes it certainly was. Improved when the sun went away, and I think the picture and ball tracking were best when it got dark and all the light was from the floodlights.

• Agree 2

15 hours ago, Rasczak said:

. I am reading elsewhere that Alloa are getting a manual control system in for their installation, something we need to look at if possible.

I would have thought that an operator with access to the video output would be able to manually over-ride the AI in situations where it couldn't properly track the ball.

In other words, a mouse controlled cursor taking precedence over a baldy heid!

17 minutes ago, buckett said:

I would have thought that an operator with access to the video output would be able to manually over-ride the AI in situations where it couldn't properly track the ball.

In other words, a mouse controlled cursor taking precedence over a baldy heid!

Possible? Yes. Enabled in the current system? Looks like it isn't and we don't know if it will be.

Whilst Alloa are using Pixellot cameras it's their own setup so they can do what they want with them. We on the other hand have left it all down to the SPFL who are using the same tech. Hopefully we can get them to use a manual controller for future broadcasts.

ETA: Here is a test stream for Alloa which, I believe, is the first one they used a manual controller for the camera(s).

Edited by RiG

3 hours ago, RiG said:

Whilst Alloa are using Pixellot cameras it's their own setup so they can do what they want with them. We on the other hand have left it all down to the SPFL who are using the same tech. Hopefully we can get them to use a manual controller for future broadcasts.

ETA: Here is a test stream for Alloa which, I believe, is the first one they used a manual controller for the camera(s).

I would settle for that level of quality. What we are getting subjected to is dire. Club emailed again to highlight I'm an unhappy (paying customer) chappy. 

They have their own camera for the highlights etc : so my simple question is why not use it 'live'???

The AI or whatever one was  complete joke. Often instead of following the ball, it went in the opposite direction.  Was it mote funny than embarrassing or vice versa??

20 minutes ago, DWH said:

They have their own camera for the highlights etc : so my simple question is why not use it 'live'???

Has it ever been used live?

Quite possibly they don't have the infrastructure - cabling round three sides of the ground, dedicated computer and comms equipment in the stand, and onward connection to a live streaming provider.

2 hours ago, TheMantis said:

What are Hearts using then? Think they've only had TV games so far.

I think they already had some kind of setup in place. I’m pretty sure you could stream games on Hearts TV in previous seasons if you lived overseas. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • tm4tj unpinned this topic
  • tm4tj locked this topic