Return of fans

MorayJaggie

17 minutes ago, Satan said:

I think Dumfries and Galloway did go tier 1 for a few weeks , whereas south of the border would have been tier 2 at best.

I think you'll find saint Nicola announced on the 8th that it was moving to tier 1 on the 11th December...

I doubt NS announced anything about tier changes.

Leaving Dumfries and Galloway for now and returning to the Highlands, I fear that some in the area, like Aberdeenshire a few weeks ago became complacent after so many months of following restrictions, and decided, with a relatively low prevalence locally, to take more risks and take a more casual approach.

With this virus, and particularly with this seemingly more virulent strain, that is a recipe for disaster and what can seem to be a situation under control can, within a week or so, rapidly escalate out of control.

We all need.to keep doing what most of us have been doing since March and by the Summer, with the vast majority of the most vulnerable vaccinated, we can all return to something much closer to normal with as few more families as possible suffering the heartbreak of bereavement or individuals suffering debilitating illness.

The rules are tedious and restrictive but they are not difficult to follow or understand and they are in place for a reason

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Robert said:

Remember we have levels not tiers!!

But isn’t that just a good example of the Scottish Government making us different just for the sake of it, when there was nothing about the English tier system they were basically copying that was unsuitable for Scotland? It just causes unnecessary confusion and achieves no benefit.

At least they have now withdrawn the “FACTS” advertising campaign that few people understood, and quietly adopted the simpler and clearer UK slogan instead. Not that it’ll make much difference but confusion and inconsistent messaging are not good things when you are relying on the public knowing what they should do.

Unlike some on here, I’m not a nationalist, but I think our politicians have handled the pandemic better than those down south, with clearer messaging from the Government and a willingness to be open with regular updates.

We had level 4 before England had tier 4, and restricted gatherings better. We also seem to be proactive when we can, rather than reactive.

Charles Bannerman’s update is a good reminder of the risks we face and the results we now face from the complacency that has set in. The positive tests are rising so fast in all parts of the UK that this wave will be much worse than the spring and we have not yet seen the impact of Christmas. I really hope everyone heeds the messages about Hogmanay. I agree with his view that enforcement is key: why have travel bans that are not enforced and therefore flouted. I know people who have spent time in other areas recently, for no good reason other than they wanted to, and I’m sure most others have similar tales of complacent selfishness risking the health of our families, friends and neighbours  

I can’t see us leaving level 4 any time soon. 

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 1

Going back to Dumfries & Galloway, and Wigtownshire which has seen cases rise fast, with 171 cases reported since Christmas eve, compared to 59 in the previous 2 weeks. New variant has been identified there.

Figures not good at all, and in a rural part of the country previously in tier/level 1 if Scottish restriction system.

It can easily be the same up here.

Can't see the fans back for months yet.

5 hours ago, Robert said:

Unlike some on here, I’m not a nationalist, but I think our politicians have handled the pandemic better than those down south, with clearer messaging from the Government and a willingness to be open with regular updates.

We had level 4 before England had tier 4, and restricted gatherings better. We also seem to be proactive when we can, rather than reactive.

Charles Bannerman’s update is a good reminder of the risks we face and the results we now face from the complacency that has set in. The positive tests are rising so fast in all parts of the UK that this wave will be much worse than the spring and we have not yet seen the impact of Christmas. I really hope everyone heeds the messages about Hogmanay. I agree with his view that enforcement is key: why have travel bans that are not enforced and therefore flouted. I know people who have spent time in other areas recently, for no good reason other than they wanted to, and I’m sure most others have similar tales of complacent selfishness risking the health of our families, friends and neighbours  

I can’t see us leaving level 4 any time soon. 

I am not a Nationalist either. Boris Johnston, Bill Cash, Jacob Rees- Mogg and their ilk are Nationalists.

I am, by contrast, merely someone who believes that Scotland should be a normal, democratic, independent country pooling sovereignty with other nations where appropriate. I have held this view for the best part of half a century when it was perhaps regarded as a marginal and rather quaint notion. Now, as times have evolved, it appears the majority and mainstream view, particularly among the younger generation.

As far as the levels are concerned. The Scottish government were advised that the 3 tiers put in place were not going to offer sufficient flexibility to cope with a likely rapidly changing picture so, instead, adopted a system of 5 levels which has, thus far, stood the test.

In contrast, England have had to introduce a tier 4, broadly similar, although not identical, to our level 4.

As far as the FACTS campaign is concerned, it has not been withdrawn in it the clearest possible acronym and is well understood.

The UK Government now pay for their hands, face, space message which FACTS predates by some time, to be broadcast in the devolved nations too. The latter, of course, omits 2 vital elements of the advice which me, in part at least  account for why so relatively few people self isolate when required to do so.

Edited by Kingsmills
  • Well Said 3

To get back on topic, which I have been as guilty as any for straying from, I agree with Robert that we are unlikely to move from level 4 any time soon. Certainly not after the initial 3 week review.

However, I am a little more optimistic about the medium term and believe that, unless this damn virus throws us another curve ball which is entirely possible, things me improve by late February/early March with more of the vulnerable vaccinated, more carrying natural antibodies and T cells from infection and the easing of the normal Winter pressures on the health service.

I believe that we could see the return of fans, possibly in somewhat greater numbers, for the conclusion of the season.

It would be good if ICT were still in contention for play off place and maybe still in the cup by then.

Things will, without doubt, get better.

• Agree 2

6 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

As far as the FACTS campaign is concerned, it has not been withdrawn in it the clearest possible acronym and is well understood.

The UK Government now pay for their hands, face, space message which FACTS predates by some time, to be broadcast in the devolved nations too. The latter, of course, omits 2 vital elements of the advice which me, in part at least  account for why so relatively few people self isolate when required to do so.

FACTS is NOT well understood, Scottish Governments own research found that only a minority of people knew what it stands for and fewer still know the required action for each letter. It was also their decision to adopt Hands Face Space in Scotland so if you think that campaign is inferior you are criticising them.

Just now, Yngwie said:

FACTS is NOT well understood, Scottish Governments own research found that only a minority of people knew what it stands for and fewer still know the required action for each letter. It was also their decision to adopt Hands Face Space in Scotland so if you think that campaign is inferior you are criticising them.

I have read the research. 57% of people clearly understood the acronym. FACTS. Not ideal but not a minority.

The Scottish government have not adopted hands, face, space. They did, I concede, drop their resistance to the UK government advertising, paid for by the UK government, being broadcast in Scotland but only after the latter said they were going ahead anyway.

The Scottish government message remains FACTS and appears regularly still in advertising paid for by Holyrood.

• 1 month later...
On 12/29/2020 at 9:14 PM, Yngwie said:

But isn’t that just a good example of the Scottish Government making us different just for the sake of it, when there was nothing about the English tier system they were basically copying that was unsuitable for Scotland? It just causes unnecessary confusion and achieves no benefit.

At least they have now withdrawn the “FACTS” advertising campaign that few people understood, and quietly adopted the simpler and clearer UK slogan instead. Not that it’ll make much difference but confusion and inconsistent messaging are not good things when you are relying on the public knowing what they should do.

At least the Westminster government have now stopped advertising their inadequate 'hands  face, space' campaign north of the border with regular reminders of the more comprehensive and older  FACTS message.