Raith Rovers (A) 10 November 2020 - Matchday & Streaming Info

RiG

Cracking nights entertainment and well worth £10. Raith TV was by some distance the best PPV setup I've experienced so far this season. One stutter just before the opening goal and that was it. No problems casting to the TV and the commentary team, whilst slightly biased towards RR as you'd expect, were good fun to listen to. "Has a ball ever hit a train here do you know?" 

Raith definitely the better team in the first half and I think we were on top for most of the second half save for a frantic final 10 minutes or so when Raith almost equalised on a couple of occasions before the finally did. Some pretty obvious penalty shouts for us turned down by a laughably bad referee though I can just about see why some Rovers fans would be clamouring for a red for us in the first half.

Slack defending by Devine to allow Duku wrestle the ball off him and score the opener. Kennedy, who was superb throughout the game for us last night, sent in a wonderful cross from the right to find Sutherland peeling off his marker to head in the equaliser. It looked like Thomson seemed to misjudge the ball when it was headed towards him or it didn't bounce off the astro but I thought he should really have saved it. Wasn't absolutely convinced about the Raith penalty as I thought that Duffy got to the ball to poke it away but regardless it was ballooned high into the Fife sky by Armstrong.

I felt we took control of the game in the second half and were well on top and Doran almost put us ahead when he broke into the box and lashed a shot wide. But then, against the run of play, Ethan Ross broke into the ICT penalty area and cut the ball back from the goal line where it thumped off Devine and past a stranded Ridgers. We then had the first of around 3 penalty claims for handball when Kennedy tried to send a cross into the box but it was blocked by the hand of a Raith defender.

Fortunately we got back on level terms only a few minutes later. Not completely sure what the penalty was given for but someone I was watching the match with said there might have been a possible push on Keatings? Anyway, we took advantage of this good fortune when Keatings scored from the spot and only a few minutes later he had a hand in the ICT 3rd goal as his free kick cracked off the post and MacGregor followed it in to poke the ball in from close range.

There were a couple more penalty appeals for ICT before Raith suddenly sparked back into life again creating some good chances as we headed into the final 10 minutes or so before they finally drew level. Devine seemed to lose the ball in the air and another ICT defender (possibly Harper) didn't follow Duku who lashed in a late equaliser. Yet we almost had a 4th when Allardice lifted a lovely through ball to Keatings who attempted an acrobatic shot at goal but completely fluffed his effort and then Thomson pulled off a superb double save at close range to keep the sides level.

The ICT penalties in the shoot out were poor. A little bit concerning when a CB takes the best spot kick for your side.

Edited by RiG
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

10 hours ago, CaleyTennis said:

You can add John Robertson, Barry Wilson and Scott Kellacher to that as well!! Laugh or moan all you like lol but, I'm entitled to my opinion and that is it, its getting ridiculous how bad we defend and lose games, one win all season is just unacceptable for a team that ended 2nd last season, and don't give me pish about a new team, its basically the same team with some good, and disastrous additions!

How the hell did our so called manager think Danny Devine is better than any other CB that was available!! I do, however, applaud him for finding gems like Allardice, Deas and Kennedy though ;-).

Its time for a new manager imho because this one just doesn't learn from his past mistakes and can't change things when its going wrong.

Its going to be a long season, one where we will be battling to stay up, which for a club like ours is totally unacceptable!!

Rant over hahaha.

That's being a little unfair of John Robertson IMO (but obvs your entitled to yours) ….he has had to entirely reconstruct a defence after last seasons exits, plug gaps in the midfield (that lost the creative influence of Polworth and Vigurs in recent seasons), and try and add firepower up front. All on virtually no money, suffering a large number of injuries to key players and of course a disjointed start to the season.

Clearly our first choice CB would be Toshney, but presumably we only got him because of the 'fragile' label. I'm guessing that Deas and Toshney would be the go-to pairing. Carson would surely walk into the midfield if fit. Likewise I get the feeling Sutherland will be our first choice forward

I am a firm believer in the notion that a squad that is effectively new, needs time to get the right balance and blend, level of understanding, and get key people into form, and that is not done in a few games in my view (however inconvenient that is). Of course it's the same for many teams but if shorn of key players the margins of success soon edges against you. Raith of course have the momentum from a successful promotion campaign as we can see in the league. Hearts despite relegation seem to have the financial and hence quality edge.

That said my overall impression is that we have played pretty well in most games. Happily guys like Deas, Allardice and Kennedy seem to have done well, and we have bedded in some younger players. No one seems to be complaining about Duffy, and Todorov seem to be contributing more.

I think with a few more players back from injury, we stand a decent chance in a competitive league. Obviously we don't want a season long battle against relegation, but I'm not sure what advantages we have that would make it unacceptable if we went down, it certainly isn't money, if Partick and Falkirk can go down, no reason why we should be immune.

Edited by Eagle4Caley
  • Like 1
  • Agree 3

10 hours ago, CaleyTennis said:

Its time for a new manager imho because this one just doesn't learn from his past mistakes and can't change things when its going wrong.

Let's be realistic.  The name of the game this season is survival.  Not just avoiding relegation from the Championship, but survival of the club itself.

Paying compensation to terminate the contracts of the manager and assistants, and hiring new ones, would be suicidal.

Not going to happen.

• Agree 3

1 hour ago, IBM said:

Great highlights, it seems that more fans paid Raith Rovers for the viewing than paid Hearts.

I did and really enjoyed the game. I skipped the Hearts game due to their rip off pricing. Is our game on Saturday being streamed? If so, presumably our season tickets won’t count?

On 11/11/2020 at 12:34 PM, Eagle4Caley said:

That's being a little unfair of John Robertson IMO (but obvs your entitled to yours) ….he has had to entirely reconstruct a defence after last seasons exits, plug gaps in the midfield (that lost the creative influence of Polworth and Vigurs in recent seasons), and try and add firepower up front. All on virtually no money, suffering a large number of injuries to key players and of course a disjointed start to the season.

Clearly our first choice CB would be Toshney, but presumably we only got him because of the 'fragile' label. I'm guessing that Deas and Toshney would be the go-to pairing. Carson would surely walk into the midfield if fit. Likewise I get the feeling Sutherland will be our first choice forward

I am a firm believer in the notion that a squad that is effectively new, needs time to get the right balance and blend, level of understanding, and get key people into form, and that is not done in a few games in my view (however inconvenient that is). Of course it's the same for many teams but if shorn of key players the margins of success soon edges against you. Raith of course have the momentum from a successful promotion campaign as we can see in the league. Hearts despite relegation seem to have the financial and hence quality edge.

That said my overall impression is that we have played pretty well in most games. Happily guys like Deas, Allardice and Kennedy seem to have done well, and we have bedded in some younger players. No one seems to be complaining about Duffy, and Todorov seem to be contributing more.

I think with a few more players back from injury, we stand a decent chance in a competitive league. Obviously we don't want a season long battle against relegation, but I'm not sure what advantages we have that would make it unacceptable if we went down, it certainly isn't money, if Partick and Falkirk can go down, no reason why we should be immune.

To be fair, he does deserve some credit for finding gems like Allardice, Deas etc and by showing faith in youngsters like Harper, Mackay and MacGregor, but he is susceptible to the absolutely ridiculous signings to, such as Danny Devine! As I said, surely there were better CB available than him, or even one of our youngsters, at least that way we can say, "he's young so mistakes should be tolerated, but hopefully he learns from it", or words to that effect :-).

What I will say is that I don't think John is a bad manager, I'm just thinking we need new direction.

i do agree with you regarding being "stronger" once injured players return vut but how far behind the play offs will we be by then?

Surely you peeps can understand that I want us back in with the big boys before too long otherwise I'd be happy to be mid table and happy with our current manager, so long as we didn't get relegated. I get that I'm public enemy number 1 at the minute, ive I've been putting up with that tag for years but my posts are because im I'm sick of failure to deliver when I know we're capable ;-). 

Hope that clears up any confusion and we can move on but I won't hold my breath hahahaha (note sarcasm lol).

31 minutes ago, CaleyTennis said:

To be fair, he does deserve some credit for finding gems like Allardice, Deas etc and by showing faith in youngsters like Harper, Mackay and MacGregor, but he is susceptible to the absolutely ridiculous signings to, such as Danny Devine! As I said, surely there were better CB available than him, or even one of our youngsters, at least that way we can say, "he's young so mistakes should be tolerated, but hopefully he learns from it", or words to that effect :-).

What I will say is that I don't think John is a bad manager, I'm just thinking we need new direction.

i do agree with you regarding being "stronger" once injured players return vut but how far behind the play offs will we be by then?

Surely you peeps can understand that I want us back in with the big boys before too long otherwise I'd be happy to be mid table and happy with our current manager, so long as we didn't get relegated. I get that I'm public enemy number 1 at the minute, ive I've been putting up with that tag for years but my posts are because im I'm sick of failure to deliver when I know we're capable ;-). 

Hope that clears up any confusion and we can move on but I won't hold my breath hahahaha (note sarcasm lol).

Out of curiosity if we were to get rid of Robbo, which I personally dont think we should, who would you like to come in? 

17 hours ago, IBM said:

Great highlights, it seems that more fans paid Raith Rovers for the viewing than paid Hearts.

And rightly so as the price was ridiculous although I believe the Hearts PPV offering was of very good quality. 

Looking back at those highlights you can see why Robbo was straight on the pitch at the final whistle to remonstrate with the referee. Three blatant penalties for handball not given in our favour although the one we did get was arguably the weakest shout of them all and it was still a good claim.

• tm4tj unpinned this topic