January transfer thread

CaleyTennis

ICT got Kennedy from Rangers on loan and he has lit up the side somewhat. Certainly not been a dud, that's for sure. I would like the club to think along the same lines now and see who they might get in the loan market. We probably get better value and no millstone contracts, allowing us to also hang onto our own promising youngsters.

However, how about looking further afield?  MLS is a huge player pool for example and with the disruption to the NASL/USL/CPL over here where teams usually send players to get experience they are now looking worldwide for 'partner' clubs according to a face to face chat I had with TFC president Bill Manning in early 2020. I can really only talk about TFC but most teams will have scenarios similar to that which I describe below

Toronto FC sent 3 internationals (1 full, 2 under 23s) out on loan last Season. Noble Okello and Rocco Romeo went to HB Koge in Denmark (Rocco is still there) and Julian Dunn went to Calgary. Ralph Priso, Jahkeele Marshall-Rutty, Jacob Shaffelburg, and Jayden Nelson are all up and comers who have made first team debuts and any one of those would add to our squad, especially Noble Okello (IMO). Ifunanyachi Achara is another candidate. He was drafted by TFC last year and got injured at the start of the season. He will be on the road to recovery now but may need time to get up to full fitness and a loan outside might be beneficial for all concerned. He also counts towards TFC's international spots (Nigerian) so if he is not likely to make first team appearances in 2021 they may want him off the books for a year. He looked really good in the one game he played (his professional debut where he scored and put in a MOTM performance) and his previous (non-professional) playing experience is also impressive. Biggest issue with some of these players might be work permits but now as ex-EU it might be possible? TFC also have an incredible academy (one of the best in North America) which is churning out a lot of players - good players - who might also be options. I am not too familiar with TFC II but Dante Campbell and Nyal Higgins seem the most ready to make the step up and maybe Jordan Peruzza.

Lots of options there in just one MLS team - permits permitting - multiply that by 26 teams and you can see its a pretty big pond that is largely unfished yet!

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CaleyTennis said:

Jordan Jones and George Edmundson available for loan, would they be worth loaning? 

Are you deluded - any one of them probably earns more a week than our whole club budget. Right now football (outwith the TV money in the biggest leagues) is on its arse, there is no money to sign players or take expensive loans.

• Agree 1

FFS, I only asked a question, there is no need for that ridiculous words, jesus, this forum is getting worse by the day! Ask a simple question yet get head bitten off and accused of being "thick" and, as per usual, no admin to either steer the thread back on topic or to ask for politeness!! 

What has everyone got against me, some new year this is, I still get the most unwelcome posts on here. 

:ictscarf:

• Well Said 1
  • Funny 2
  • Confused 1
  • Facepalm 1

Wind your neck in or take another break! No-one called you thick and you didn't report the post. There is nothing for an admin to steer in any direction and if one person disagreeing with you equates to everyone having something against you then you may need to re-evaluate things a little. 

• Agree 3
  • Well Said 3

• 3 weeks later...
10 hours ago, CaleyTennis said:

Declan McDaid the latest linked on Pie and Bovril, presumably by a Dundee fan 🤔

I thought he was at Ayr but I may be confusing him with another McDaid. 

It's the same guy. He moved from Ayr to Dundee at the start of last season. Any time I've seen him, there have been odd flashes of skill that put defenders on the back foot but little end product, and neither Ayr supporters or Dundee supporters are particularly complimentary about him - comments ranging from 'frustrating player' to 'gutless shitebag'. We certainly need a replacement for Kennedy, but we don't need another Billy King, with some skill but no heart. On the other hand, as people have pointed out, we have a habit of getting the best out of players who haven't met their potential elsewhere, and Robbo's record in the transfer market is pretty good, so if he is targeting McDaid, then he presumably sees him as someone who can improve, and who can improve us.       

We need a winger to replace Kai Kennedy so, with our relationship with Hearts, could we maybe get Jordan Roberts or Lewis Moore from them.  Both will likely not get much game time due to Ginnelly and Walker/Haring etc plus JR has played for us before. 

I also saw on a fans twitter that they'd like Ralston in but do we need an RB? 

16 minutes ago, bdu98196 said:

Surprised 'nobody' is suggesting Dele Alli or Diego Costa...................

It’s because everyone knows they’d be expecting regular first team football, which is something Robbo wouldn’t be able to guarantee.

58 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

It’s because everyone knows they’d be expecting regular first team football, which is something Robbo wouldn’t be able to guarantee.

Nah, everybody knows Uncle Roy has got them both on a PCA.

On 1/26/2021 at 5:55 PM, RiG said:

I like McDaid but there's no question he isn't consistent enough.

It's all moot as I understand we're not even close to being on his radar. A move to Partick Thistle beckons.

As expected McDaid moves to Partick.

2 hours ago, ictchris said:

I assume we don't plan to make any signings today?

We need a new face or two in (at least) but whether we actually get anyone is a different matter. A creative wide man, striker and defender would be excellent.

Edited by RiG