Ian Broadfoot

RiG

Really sad and tragic news. All our thoughts are with his family.

His books, Going Ballistic and Milestones and Memories, are even more poignant now, but mean that Ian and all the great work he did over many years will never be forgotten by the club and fans.

https://ictfc.com/inverness-caledonian-thistle-fc-mourns-death-of-club-historian

Edited by Robert

• RiG changed the title to Ian Broadfoot

Such sad news but makes his book even more special.  I am honoured that he signed his name to my copy.  Unbelievable really.  So sad.  My sincere sympathy to all his loved ones.  

Truly awful news. Our sincere condolences go to all his family and friends. It makes the purchase of his book (signed by the man himself) even more poignant now. I've not read the book yet but when I do I'll raise a glass in his memory and have a tear in my eye. 

• Agree 1

I'm really shocked and saddened at this tragic news.  On behalf of colleagues on the Supporters Trust Board, I can say it was both a pleasure and a privilege to work with Ian in helping to get his wonderful book to print.  Ian had put so much time and effort into the book and I know he was hugely grateful to everyone who kindly contributed to the fundraising campaign.  He was also very touched by the numerous messages he had received from folk congratulating him on the finished product.  "Milestones and Memories" is a worthy memorial to a man who has made such an important contribution to the Club throughout its history.  Our heartfelt condolences go to Ian's family.

• Agree 4
  • Well Said 1

I am shocked, saddened and really devastated to hear this news. I have known Ian since the very early days of ICT and a nicer, more dedicated, honest and humble gentleman you were not likely to meet. His stats, reviews and records for ICT have always been the gold standard for fans and directly led to both of his books. He (and Peter) also did wonders as volunteers in the club shop for many years and if you read the release when he was made a life member, you will see what else he did. When people talk about someone having ICT in their blood and being a stalwart of the club they are usually referring to the likes of Charlie Christie or others who have been with us from the start and who played for us for a long time ... Ian Broadfoot is in this same category behind the scenes.

Ian would probably be too humble to think himself deserving of any fanfare but the club should definitely honour his memory in some way. Armbands and a minutes silence at the next game, for sure, at a minimum, but like his stats, which will live on, maybe something else more permanent too.

Rest in peace Ian. The world has a large hole in it right now and you will truly be missed by friends and family alike. 😢

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Thank You 1

Incredibly sad news.  I spent time with Ian many years ago when he gave me an insight into the work he carried out as a historian and just last week I came across a huge wad of documents which he very generously copied and shared with me.  I'd been saving my proud copy of his new book to enjoy later this month.  

Like many others, I thought incredibly highly of Ian and sincerely hope we as a club do something to commemorate him on a permanent basis. 

Very sad news. Going ballistic was a great history lesson for me when I first started supporting the club and I was delighted when I got milestones and memories for Xmas which was another fantastic edition and they will represent his legacy and always remain important history for the club. RIP Ian 

• tm4tj pinned this topic
18 hours ago, RiG said:

It might not have the same effect without the fans but a minutes silence or applause at the next home game is surely the least that could be done to remember Ian.

Devastating news. Deepest condolences to his family and friends.

An integral part of the club since the very beginning.

Agree that his passing should be acknowledged at our next match.

It should also be marked again, probably by a minute's applause at the next home game when a full cohort of fans are permitted back into the stadium. I am sure that there are very very many who would wish to show appreciation in person for all the work he has done for no personal reward over the last quarter of a century and more.

• Agree 8

I was shocked and saddened to hear the news that Ian had died. Although I had never met him, we corresponded on email when he helped me immeasurably on a project that I was pursuing, supplying me with statistics, information and photographs. Along with all the information he sent me, he enclosed a signed copy of his book 'Going Ballistic ', it was such an unexpected gift from the man, and reading all the tributes that I have over the past few days, was such a well respected man. RIP Ian.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Very sad. Ian was obviously a great servant to the club over many years.

I hope that in time, it will be a comfort to his family that he saw his second book published and received life membership of the club, just before he became ill. We will treasure our signed copy of the book.

R.I.P. Ian.

• tm4tj featured this topic

Very sad news indeed. Ian was an extremely humble man who had time for everyone. Although I hadn't come across Ian for many years I will always remember him as a leading light in the formation of our club. Ian is up there with the likes of Dougie McGilvray and Jock MacDonald. R.I.P. Ian.

• tm4tj unpinned this topic