We will have to wait and find out but it's certain to damage the party.  I think Salmond is a dangerous man who likes the power and would like to be back in charge of the party.

As far as I am concerned I want an independent Scotland and will vote the best way to get that but not sure if I would always support the SNP and am not a member of the party.

It’s interesting timing with the Election due in May, although there are indications it will be delayed.

I’m not an SNP supporter so possibly not best placed to comment, but my instinct is that Sturgeon will be playing it pretty straight whereas Salmond will have more of a selective memory. 

I may have that totally wrong, but the issue and publicity may influence how people vote at the Election depending on how messy things get.

It is notable that the SNP Chair of the Committee reviewing this sordid episode has been very critical of the Government not cooperating with the inquiry.

Then there is the fact that Sturgeon’s husband is the Chief Executive of the SNP, with some finding it hard to believe they were not discussing the situation when it was taking place, and the alleged differences in their evidence.

I just hope the real truth does come out, whatever it turns out to be, and that it does not distract the Government from taking the right actions to fight the worsening situations, both health and economic, stemming from the pandemic  

Edited by Robert

Surprisingly, this doesn't get a lot of press coverage down here in darkest Englandshire!  I'd appreciate someone telling me where I can read up about it, background etc,  where it has reached, and what might happen next. 

Posted (edited)

If the initial events had been happening in the bedroom of Downing St rather than Bute House and all the subsequent political shenanigans involved the uk government rather than ours, we’d all have heard of little else over the last few years! It’s  possibly the greatest political scandal of our lifetime but the full truth isn’t really in the public domain yet. I’m not sure where you’d start on this one, it’s quite a saga.

Edited by Yngwie

I will reserve my thoughts until I hear both give evidence to the enquiry.

I think it will prove to be a blow to Sturgeon, to the SNP and to the independence cause.

However, I don't think it will prove to be the fatal blow that the Unionists are hoping for.

However, I do think that a more appropriate topic heading would be Salmond v Sturgeon as the fight is one picked by the former First Minister fuelled by his ego and vanity.

As a footnote, I would add that, although it is very widely known who the women complaining about AS's conduct are it remains a contempt of court to identify them and anyone posting on this thread should refrain from doing so even, as I suspect, many on here know who they are.

Edited by Kingsmills
8 hours ago, dougiedanger said:

I guess this is all that Tory Unionists have to cling to now.  🤣

That and the skill, wit and wisdom of Douglas Ross!

• Funny 3
On 1/9/2021 at 1:22 PM, Robert said:

It’s interesting timing with the Election due in May, although there are indications it will be delayed.

I’m not an SNP supporter so possibly not best placed to comment, but my instinct is that Sturgeon will be playing it pretty straight whereas Salmond will have more of a selective memory. 

Funny you should say that - my missus hoovers up all the stuff on twitface and reads all the blogs, and she’s convinced that Sturgeon’s in deep doodoo. But why is AS doing this now? 
No doubt there’ll be some damage to the Indy cause, but not much. The unionist/media/tory narrative is that there’s this nasty wee group (the SNP) trying to sell the Scottish people something that nobody wants. In reality the Indy movement is far, far larger than the SNP and feel that they are dragging their feet, and asking if they really want independence or if they’re just happy having careers in government (or even opposition, like the UK Labour Party have been for decades). Many people are happy to lend the SNP their vote as they’re the most likely vehicle to hitch to. If you look at  photos from any of the AUOB marches there’s hardly a trace of SNP yellow to be seen, just solid blue.

1 hour ago, TheMantis said:

Funny you should say that - my missus hoovers up all the stuff on twitface and reads all the blogs, and she’s convinced that Sturgeon’s in deep doodoo. But why is AS doing this now? 

That’s what keeps life interesting, as we all have different views on different things.

I just hope the real truth comes out, whatever it turns out to be.