Positive messages for Robbo

Northern_jaggie

I’ve just seen Robbos news feature on STV tonight and on the back of this I thought I’d start a thread for positive messages to Robbo, here’s mine;

Robbo, I think you are a very good manager and a great match for our club. From my experience, our fans believe you are elevating our club higher than resources permit and in that regard you are adding good value and that makes you one of our best assets. Your approach to youth players is so encouraging and our club feels like more of an Inverness club than it has in a long time. We can’t be there in person at the Caledonian Stadium to give you my backing in person, but we will return in numbers at some point!!

Keep the chin up, lockdown is temporary ☺️

• Like 2
  • Agree 4

Glad to have you as manager of our club Robbo, keep up the excellent work you are doing in these most difficult times, I am sure you are appreciated by the Caley masses for the splendid approach you have towards the well being and advancement  of I CT. Thank you Robbo.

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

First things first, we'll done on opening up on this, most people would bottle this up and carry on suffering. 

I understand that you miss family, kids, grandkids etc, I don't have kids (some may say that is a good thing lol) but I do work with kids and, right now, I miss the kids at the setting so I totally get you. 

Finally, I've not been to kind in here sometimes and now I feel even more guilty :'(, I certainly don't want you to resign due to mental health issues.

Keep fighting lad, as is the message from government(s), we will get through this together! 

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

This just shows that we often forget that there are greater struggles in life than playing games of football.

Football is a sideshow, a break from the daily grind, a release. At its best it can be a tremendous pick me up and confidence booster, at its worst it will drag you down.

To hear that such a positive guy like Robbo is suffering along with everyone else just brings it all home. I think it's time to cut a bit of slack to everybody during these unprecedented times and listen to what they have to say. The ear can be a great comfort to someone finding the daily grind overpowering during lockdown, or just life in general.

Robbo, you are a great fit for this club despite the current plight, I am sure your ebullient character will help you see it out.

• Agree 2
  • Thank You 1

It took courage to speak up like that, and it will hopefully inspire others to share issues they are facing. Too many of us bottle things up, and should follow his example as none of us are immune to the prospect of mental health issues, what may trigger them or the damage they can cause for individuals and families.

From my perspective, Robbo has done a great job with a very limited budget. We all want the club to prosper and get back in the top league, but with the inevitable player turnover and lack of funds, we have matched bigger clubs with bigger budgets consistently whilst in the Championship.

It is great to see the youngsters getting more game time, whilst we keep unearthing unknown gems who do well for us and kickstart their careers.

I certainly hope Robbo overcomes these issues and continues to lead our club. This week has only increased my already positive view of him. 

• Agree 3

Dear Robbo, keep going and keep smiling, you're doing a great job 👍 

You were brilliant in your first spell with us and doing brilliantly again under even more difficult circumstances - club in a shocking position when you took over and now the pressures of the pandemic on top of everything else! We're lucky to have you and be in a position where we probably don't deserve to be.

Many of us have buckled under less pressure and we don't have the disadvantage of being in the public eye. All the best Boss, we're right behind you!

• Agree 2

With today being the day of Ian Broadfoot's funeral, it is perhaps a day for a bit of reflection.  Thinking of Ian today, I picked up my copy of 'Milestones and Memories" and looked back on some of the great days and wonderful people associated with the club.  I also had Robbo in mind and I don't think I had really registered before that it is now over 18 years since he first came to the club as Manager.  To be here now as Manager so long after first coming here is a testament to what he means to the club and how much of a fit he is for the club.  Robbo may not have been here when the club enjoyed its greatest success, but he was integral to building the foundations of that success.

Robbo's first spell with us may have been short, but it was full of success and great memories.  In 2003 we beat a strong Celtic side in the Scottish Cup and made it to  Hampden for the first time.  Then in 2004 it was a 2nd consecutive Hampden Semi-final to go with the 1st Division title and the Challenge cup.  We started life in the Premier League under Robbo's leadership, but with those achievements under his belt it was no surprise that he was tempted away.

Now Robbo is back, albeit in rather different and difficult circumstances,  and he has overseen a solid rebuilding of the team.  But then Coronavirus struck.  These are difficult times for all of us; much more difficult for some than others and Robbo has shown his courage and character in speaking as he has.  Memories of the good times help to sustain us through the bad times and with the directors, staff, players and supporters coming together to support each other through this difficult period, the good times will return.

You've done wonders at this club, Robbo.  Always know you have both our support and gratitude.  

• Agree 4

Life is very difficult working in any job just now and football is no exception.  I hope Robbo gets all the support he needs like he is giving to the players just now in these challenging times.  I along with all the ICT supporters will be fully behind him giving all the support he needs.  He always has the teams interests at heart when he speaks and that's not just our team he genuinely cares about all footballers!  Keep going Robbo we are fully behind you.

• Agree 3

Lots of positive messages on Jambos Kickback too :ictscarf:

I went on there on Wednesday (the day he revealed he has been struggling) to see their reaction to the news one of their heroes was struggling. 

In fact, one fan hopes Ann Budge and Hearts can help in some way. It's well worth going over to the forum to have a look :). 

• 1 month later...

Robertson has been granted compassionate leave after a family bereavement. The club are looking to get an interim manager in alongside Barry Wilson and Ryan Esson as Scott Kellacher is still out of "action" due to illness.

My thoughts are with Robbo and his family. Experiencing the physical and emotional trauma of this pandemic has been difficult for many people. I can appreciate how footie can provide distraction to many but I simply cant enthuse whatsoever about this season and cant wait until it is over and we are safe to battle it out again next season. I dont see the need for an interim manager as that may just cause more problems. I would be happy to leave that the "old school brigade" are capable of keeping the ship going and hopefully none of the Robbo vultures will turn on them to.

So you take all the feckin time you need Robbo and most of us look forward to your return and hopefully to attend in person to watch your assault at the top of the Championship in the 2021 - 2022 season. 

• Like 2
  • Agree 3
  • Well Said 6

I’m pretty sure Someone with experience is available who loves football so much they’d be willing to help out. People like Steven Pressley Stuart McCall or John Collins. (Probably draw the line at Walter Zenga tho) And when Robbo returns it’ll be like getting a new manager in again refreshed motivated and raring to go!

Football is football and will always be football. But there is only one Robbo - so keep yourself safe and well as one day we would like our Robbo back with us. He maybe away from the club right now but he has ICT family behind him all the way, and the same goes for Scott. We are so lucky to have such a great management team, who are not only managers, but a part of the fabric of the club, it's people, and the community of Inverness, as well as the wider world. Robbo need not worry as we safe in the capable hands of Barry, Ryan, and Charlie.

Edited by Jockdoonsouth
Typo
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

There are very many things in life more important than football and family is, without doubt, one of them.

Best wishes to JR in dealing with his circumstances. It's important that he takes as long as is necessary and does not rush back.

Given his Hearts connection, it is perhaps fitting that the virtual ticketing initiative initiated by Hearts fans can, in part at least, go towards paying his salary in full for as long as he is absent.

• Agree 2

I agree with all the comments above. This highlights that while we often sound off when our club is not doing as well as we hope, it is not nearly as important as other events in life.

It is tragic news at a very difficult time, and Robbo was already finding the pandemic tough.

My thoughts are with him and his family, whilst I wish Scott all the best too: I had not realised his illness was as bad as it has clearly been.

Club statement issued today:

https://ictfc.com/club-statement-john-robertson

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 1

Sending all our of love to Robbo and his family at this difficult time. I can only echo those thoughts of the above posts. Take all the time you need Robbo, life isn't always about football. 

Best wishes to Robbo and hopes for a speedy recovery for Kells. The Herald article is a very good one and I particularly like the references to both Robbo and Kells being friends and colleagues because that speaks to a different mindset in how you handle any challenges, and it is important that we support both of them with whatever life throws at them right now. 

As for a temp manager, my mind went first to the likes of Charlie Christie given his history and past experience, but seems he is not in the frame right now given the comments about the youth setup. Going to pull this one from left field ... but assuming this is for a temporary stint, what is Pele doing these days? or perhaps Parky? Failing that then perhaps we need to persevere with Wilson and Esson. Not sure of the coaching badges of all the aforementioned but cannot see us getting any big names for a temporary appointment in the Highlands during a COVID pandemic ..... 

• Like 1