Inverness Celtic and Inverness Union

Jack Waddington

Joint post with IWYWAK (Inverness when you were a kid).

Was just wondering if anyone had any info on either of the two neglected Highland League Invernesians, namely where they played? All I've got on the forgotten sides is that Citadel played at Shore Street, but Union and Celtic are pretty much lost, with a couple lines on Wikipedia, with nothing relating to where they played. Best guess is Bught and the Northern Meeting Parks had some involvement with the pairs few years in existence.

On 1/28/2021 at 3:50 PM, Jack Waddington said:

Joint post with IWYWAK (Inverness when you were a kid).

Was just wondering if anyone had any info on either of the two neglected Highland League Invernesians, namely where they played? All I've got on the forgotten sides is that Citadel played at Shore Street, but Union and Celtic are pretty much lost, with a couple lines on Wikipedia, with nothing relating to where they played. Best guess is Bught and the Northern Meeting Parks had some involvement with the pairs few years in existence.

Did you try a search on here? I think you'll find some discussion on Citadel buried fairly well back.

If you fancy spending a little money on it, have a look at https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/    .  Subscription rates are at https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/account/subscribe  .

They appear to have the Courier, Highland News and the Northern Chronicle from the relevant period, all online.   

The papers are scanned in, and then OCR software "reads" the images and produces text files, so you can perform searches.    The text is often gibberish, since the quality of the original newspapers is variable, but with the image to refer to, you can usually work it out.  

I don't have a subscription.  I have only used it once, in a free trial, when I discovered that my great-grandfather was killed by a train at the station in the 1890s, and I was able to find reports of the incident and of the subsequent inquiry.

Public libraries sometimes have subscriptions to online newspaper archives which you can use for free, but it doesn't look as though Inverness Library does.  It does, however, have all the local newspapers on microfilm. How easy it would be to find information in them will depend on whether the Library has indexed them.  Something to ask them when they re-open.

If you did find some information about the early Inverness clubs and then wrote it up, I would be very interested to read it, and I am sure that there will be many others.

Good luck!

8 hours ago, Jack Waddington said:

..........and Crown at Cameron Barracks. Still nothing on Celtic...

I've never heard of a senior club called Crown .  There was a good juvenile team called Crown back in the 1950s, playing their home games, I think, at Fraser Park.

Don't know anything about the original 2, Union and Celtic.

7 hours ago, Caley Mad In Berks said:

I've never heard of a senior club called Crown .  There was a good juvenile team called Crown back in the 1950s, playing their home games, I think, at Fraser Park.

Don't know anything about the original 2, Union and Celtic.

Pinging through 'Going Ballistic', there's a brief mention of Crown but it alludes that they turned to Rugby instead of football. Intriguingly, no mention of Celtic, maybe because they were so short lived(?) Union also gets a brief mention, but Ian Broadfoot only goes into deep detail on the four who survived into the 20th Century...

• 3 months later...
1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

Crown and Union merged in 1885 to form Inverness Thistle who went on to win the inaugural Highland League title some 8 years later.

Another merger :ohmy: Charles Bannerman could write another book :wink:

• Funny 2