Arbroath -V- Inverness CT - Preview, Streaming, Matchday

tm4tj

13 hours ago, CaleyTennis said:

I really think his mental health issues are hampering us too, he should resign and let someone else in (God knows who though). 

At the risk of being accused of picking on you again, I really think it has to be pointed out that this is an unacceptable comment on several levels. Surprised no-one else has picked up on it.

• Like 1
  • Well Said 8

13 hours ago, CaleyTennis said:

I don't like calling for managers sackings lol (I've giving Townsend plenty time, even on back of poor RWC) but this time, I just can't see how we can improve under his stewardship, I really think his mental health issues are hampering us too, he should resign and let someone else in (God knows who though). 

I'm actually stunned that 1) I missed this disgraceful comment; and 2) no one else has called it out.

At a time when mental health is such an important topic and people are being encouraged to speak out if they are struggling, now that someone with a relatively high profile in Scottish football has broached this sensitive issue (and received praise for doing so) you want to use it against him and try and have him leave the club?

That's completely and utterly appalling. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that maybe you didn't mean to phrase it quite that way but if you truly believe that, and it's the kind of thing some outdated cretin like Jimmy Calderwood would say, then frankly you can get filed in the "things Scottish football can do without" bin.

Edited by RiG
  • Well Said 8

Going by last night's goals, both sides are where they deserve to be with that complete lack of defending. You'd expect to see that down the bught ffs. 

Lack of creativity isn't surprising given the midfield lost Keatings early, but there are some players throughout the team who , regardless of system or instructions are playing well within themselves.

Regardless of who is picking & managing the players next year I'm probably not alone in thinking that a few of this current crop might be moving on.

• Agree 1

4 hours ago, tm4tj said:

Interesting comments from Robbo. Generally supportive of the performance this time, recognising that with the number of youngsters we will make mistakes and be naive at times.

Welsh is not being as influential this season as he was when he first joined us, possibly impacted by being captain? I’d like to see Carson start on Saturday if the game goes ahead, along with MacGregor if Keatings doesn’t make it, so we have our normal 4 2 3 1 without having to push a central midfielder further forward. I also think last night showed that Sutherland should be up front with Storey playing wide. 

5 hours ago, RiG said:

I'm actually stunned that 1) I missed this disgraceful comment; and 2) no one else has called it out.

At a time when mental health is such an important topic and people are being encouraged to speak out if they are struggling, now that someone with a relatively high profile in Scottish football has broached this sensitive issue (and received praise for doing so) you want to use it against him and try and have him leave the club?

That's completely and utterly appalling. I'll give you the benefit of the doubt that maybe you didn't mean to phrase it quite that way but if you truly believe that, and it's the kind of thing some outdated cretin like Jimmy Calderwood would say, then frankly you can get filed in the "things Scottish football can do without" bin.

You are indeed right about it not being mean to phrase it that way ;), i am not the type of person to be as racist, steroetypical etc,despite what a lot of you on here think!! 

And to Alternative Maryhill, I really don't give a **** anymore, I only post occasionally on here due to certain posters and to avoid rants from mods :P.

19 hours ago, CaleyTennis said:

Yes unfortunately and I've said that a lot this season, only to be shot down!! 

I really don't have any idea what the f*** he does in training but it certainly can't be effective if we a) can't defend properly or b) players are ignoring him (see last week after match interview to see what I mean). 

I don't like calling for managers sackings lol (I've giving Townsend plenty time, even on back of poor RWC) but this time, I just can't see how we can improve under his stewardship, I really think his mental health issues are hampering us too, he should resign and let someone else in (God knows who though). 

I think we are going to be fine this season, probably between 5 and 7th so the bonus is, youngsters get a chance of playing (that's actually a bonus of signing nobody all month too) so the summer could be crucial in terms of getting players in if that's needed.  

I hope you never suffer from mental health issues. You are a disgrace and you should be ashamed of yourself

• Well Said 1

Really annoyed again to have established control in the game and looking likely to win, only to throw it away for the 2nd game in a row. Not sure what the cause is. Fatigue/ motivation? Did the wind die off as they seemed to cope much better towards the end of the 2nd half and could have won the game. 

Ridgers was fine. Duffy and Harper were much improved from last week. Keatings was linking well and I think Robbo needs to recognise he made the wrong call bringing on Allardice. While I don't think Allardice, Welsh or Vincent had bad games, you can't play those 3 together. They are so similar and lateral. Vincent tried to play further forward but his natural instinct is to play deeper. Carson is another similar player. Robbo needs to pick 2 from the 4 not shoehorn them into other positions. Imo it should have been MacGregor on for Keatings. 

Sutherland was playing really well at the target man but then got moved out wide. Not sure why. We created very little after and didn't change back. 

McKay/Toddy did okay. Storey had a good first half. Mackay was okay. Doran looks disinterested.

There is potential there, but worryingly there are many more problems to iron out. 

• Agree 1

40 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

I hope you never suffer from mental health issues. You are a disgrace and you should be ashamed of yourself

Are you blind or something, I posted above that it was worded wrong!! 

This is exactly what I mean when I say that I get bullied on here, there's no need for responses like your one especially after I explained my error! 

1 hour ago, caleyboy said:

1 hour ago, CaleyTennis said:

Are you blind or something, I posted above that it was worded wrong!! 

This is exactly what I mean when I say that I get bullied on here, there's no need for responses like your one especially after I explained my error! 

Guys, either wrap it up or take it to pm. Don’t cause us to close comments on a thread with decent analysis of the game.

• Thank You 1

There is one bright spot believe it or not: our record at Gayfield this season is better than last season. They beat us 3-0 there last season in our only away meeting with them, and they also beat us at home before the season got suspended.

Yes, we should have been able to win the game, as we should have against Alloa and Morton, but we always seem to struggle against Alloa and Arbroath.

Four points out of fifteen is not good enough, and if we are to have any hope of making the promotion play offs we need to do better.

Dundee away will be tough if the weather lets it proceed, then we have home games against Alloa, Morton and Queen of the South. We should be aiming to win all three of those.

Time will tell!

Edited by Robert

1 hour ago, TheMantis said:

Guys, either wrap it up or take it to pm. Don’t cause us to close comments on a thread with decent analysis of the game.

I tried to edit my original post to take out the sentence that caused out roar because, as I said, I didn't mean it phrased like that so feel free to delete the whole post or the sentence ;)? 

It's ridiculous how I always get targeted but I will leave it there :-P.

Nobody gets an easy game at Arbroath. Even as an SPL team we once scraped through on penalties in the league cup. In the good old days with Wyness  and co. we still lost often enough. Apart from a 7-0 win a few years ago I doubt if we’ve ever won by more than the odd goal.
All these draws are killing our season though. That’s 5/11.

Edit- Oh yes, a glorious 4-1 thumping in 96 en route to the div 3 title, featuring a marvellous dinked finish by 10cc. As the sun set at 4.45 we went to the top of the league 😉

Edited by TheMantis
  • Agree 1

53 minutes ago, Robert said:

There is one bright spot believe it or not: our record at Gayfield this season is better than last season. They beat us 3-0 there last season in our only away meeting with them, and they also beat us at home before the season got suspended.

Yes, we should have been able to win the game, as we should have against Alloa and Morton, but we always seem to struggle against Alloa and Arbroath.

Three points out of twelve is not good enough, and if we are to have any hope of making the promotion play offs we need to do better.

Dundee away will be tough if the weather lets it proceed, then we have home games against Alloa, Morton and Queen of the South. We should be aiming to win all three of those.

Time will tell!

It's straightforward Robert we beat Dundee on Saturday and go on a run :wink:

• Like 1

Just now, TheMantis said:

Nobody gets an easy game at Arbroath. Even as an SPL team we once scraped through on penalties in the league cup. In the good old days with Wyness  and co. we still lost often enough. Apart from a 7-0 win a few years ago I doubt if we’ve won by more than the odd goal.
All these draws are killing our season though. That’s 5/11.

Aye and the 7-0 win would not have been with Dick Campbell in charge!

• Agree 1

Is very clichéd but apart from the queen's game earlier in the season I haven't expected any easy games.

However we have been either performing within ourselves or team selection has been questionable in my opinion. 

Many of these draws could and should have been victories. It will prove costly unless we can go on a run now like we did a few seasons ago. 

13 hours ago, Stirling Observer said:

Really annoyed again to have established control in the game and looking likely to win, only to throw it away for the 2nd game in a row. Not sure what the cause is. Fatigue/ motivation? Did the wind die off as they seemed to cope much better towards the end of the 2nd half and could have won the game. 

Ridgers was fine. Duffy and Harper were much improved from last week. Keatings was linking well and I think Robbo needs to recognise he made the wrong call bringing on Allardice. While I don't think Allardice, Welsh or Vincent had bad games, you can't play those 3 together. They are so similar and lateral. Vincent tried to play further forward but his natural instinct is to play deeper. Carson is another similar player. Robbo needs to pick 2 from the 4 not shoehorn them into other positions. Imo it should have been MacGregor on for Keatings. 

Sutherland was playing really well at the target man but then got moved out wide. Not sure why. We created very little after and didn't change back. 

McKay/Toddy did okay. Storey had a good first half. Mackay was okay. Doran looks disinterested.

There is potential there, but worryingly there are many more problems to iron out. 

That sounds a fair summary and quite good, we have to remember that we have had a lot of games called off since Christmas, and we had a slow start because of injuries, (and judging from Wednesday the CB positions look under pressure still), so we haven't really built much momentum, and we are kinda starting again. Losing Kennedy, without a replacement was a blow, but not the biggest surprise. However we have only lost one game in the last seven, and as the old saying goes if you cant win the game, don't lose it.  We have games in hand, and yes we do need to get a run going. JR needs to find the right balance in midfield, and on their day Carson, Allardice, Welsh and MacGregor, are all decent and dangerous players. Given the size of our budget and the Covid situation, I'm just glad we're still here.

First things first is to build a bigger gap between us and the bottom two so that we are still in the Championship next season, which could have a  rather interesting line up, rather than League 1...if we do that quickly then we might slingshot our way into the play offs. That said the sides in positions 2 to 4 look pretty strong.

I enjoyed this game. Chances at both ends and - we got away with few which is understandable given the options at centre-half, but also created good chances - Shane played well but his finishing was poor. Most pleasing was the desire to start the 2nd half on the front foot and that's really when we should've moved out of sight. 

We're a bit fragile at the moment but i still think there's more to come from this team once it settles down and we'll go on a wee run at some point that takes us into the top 4. Perhaps we have to accept at this point that Dundee and Dunfermline will be too much for us over the course of the season but that just leaves Raith and Ayr as our competition for 4th spot and we have a better squad than either. 

• Thank You 1
  • Well Said 1

Arbroath have beaten Dunfermline 2-0.

They are now unbeaten in 5 games and have taken 9 points. That includes games against 2 of the top 4 teams in the league.

As tm4tj has said, it puts our draw in horrible conditions in a better light.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

• tm4tj unpinned this topic