Six Nations

Robert

Wow, what an enjoyable watch and a well deserved, tremendous performance and win.

We bossed the game and won at Twickenham in the competition for the first time since 1983.

It more than made up for not being able to watch Caley Thistle this afternoon. 

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Robert said:

Wow, what an enjoyable watch and a well deserved, tremendous performance and win.

We bossed the game and won at Twickenham in the competition for the first time since 1983.

It more than made up for not being able to watch Caley Thistle this afternoon. 

Absolutely. Brightened up a very wintery, ICT free, afternoon.

Would be brilliant if we stayed as competitive and showed such commitment for the remainder of the tournament.

We’ve had a few good results against England in recent years but haven’t been that dominant since the 1980s. Possibly Scotland’s best performance of the professional era, even though we still failed to convert a few good chances. Consistent performances like that would put us in contention, but we don’t have a track record of consistency after a great result. Could this be different?

Indeed!

We dominated the first half but couldn’t finish the game off. The disallowed try just before Wales scored was bad, but the (harsh) sending off really made it tough for us and was the pivotal moment.

After fighting hard and getting back in the lead, a great try did us in.

We should be used to glorious failure!

• 1 month later...

A thoroughly professional and utterly comprehensive win against Italy.

With a bit more composure and a slightly more generous slice of luck, we could well have been going into the final match of the tournament vying for the grand slam.

A bit of work to do yet but very encouraging signs.

• Agree 1

Wales run of good luck in this year's championship finally ran out in the last 10 minutes against France. Right up to that point, in every match,  Wales seemed to have the 'Rugby Gods'  (or cynics might say 'Rugby Referees') on their side  with quite a few debatable decisions going their way.  However, Wales managed to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory in a dramatic final few minutes.  They still win the championship, so 'well done' to them for that.  However I'm sure they will rue missing out on another Grand Slam , which seemed to be theirs when, holding a 10 point lead, France had a man red carded with only minutes to go.  But France (and maybe the Rugby Gods') thought otherwise.  Dramatic viewing!

12 hours ago, Caley Mad In Berks said:

They still win the championship, so 'well done' to them for that.  

Not necessarily, France will win if they get 4 tries and a 21 point win over Scotland, which is certainly possible when you see the attacking prowess and determination shown against Wales. What a game that was though, so much drama.

Its been a great tournament though. Italy and England just there to make up the numbers but the games between the top 4 sides have been close and exciting.

Fantastic performance and result to end Scotland's tournament.

Wins in London and Paris for the first time this millennium. Congratulations to Wales on winning the tournament but, with a little a little more good fortune and a bit more discipline in the two games we lost a very good tournament for Scotland could have been a great one.

Well done to all concerned. Very good omens for the future.

• Agree 1

A great, nail biting, deserved win.  At last we got a bit of the good fortune that Wales were blessed with throughout this championship!  Finishing 4th out of 6 belies our performances,  after all we were really only a couple of scores away from a grand slam.  Many great individual performances, so I expect Scotland to be well represented in the Lions squad later this year.  Well done to all.

You know that feeling that you get near the end of a Scotland match - football, rugby, whatever - when you know that they are about to blow it? 

The strangest thing happened last night - I got the exact opposite feeling!  Even though Russell had been sent off and Scotland were behind, I had the oddest premonition that this would be the one time when everything worked, and we would win. 

Then France had a man sin-binned, Dulin stupidly decided not to kick into touch to end it all, and the rest is history... :scotland:

And if I was ever in a scrap and could pick someone to be on my side, I'd pick Hamish Watson.  Incredible drive, power, wriggle ability, and always, always at the heart of the action.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Caley Mad In Berks said:

Finishing 4th out of 6 belies our performances,  after all we were really only a couple of scores away from a grand slam. 

I was overcome by a feeling of total despair in the final few minutes, repeatedly turning down the chance of 3 kickable penalty points just like we did against Ireland and Wales. My thought was exactly as you said, we could have been looking at a grand slam if only we'd decided to go for the sticks instead of toughing it out for field position and grabbing a try.

Well, it paid off in Paris, and on reflection it was worth doing - death or glory!

A great tournament, and it feels like our best one in years. If only we’d been able to beat Wales or Ireland (or preferably both) in those close games and we could have been really celebrating!

• 1 year later...

I taped yesterday’s Calcutta Cup game and watched it this morning.

It is great to win at Twickenham again, and we deserved to.

Hopefully we can build on this and beat Wales next weekend and get in contention for the Championship itself.

We have three home games against Wales, Ireland and Italy and an away game against France to come, and having already won away from home, this must be our best chance in years to actually win the Six Nations.

Edited by Robert

What a second half tonight! Four tries without reply to make it the first time we’ve ever won our first two six nations matches.

At half time we were lucky to be ahead, and Wales looked the more likely winner.

After our 3-0 win, this made it a great day!