2nd Bottom...

caley100

:amazed:  Alas we find ourselves second bottom of the championship ( albeit with a good few games in hand ) But any manager will say it's safer to have points in the bag ( Look at Hearts, Partick last season), I wonder if any of our stato's can tell us when we were last in that position?

Anyway, we certainly have a lot of work to do in order to catch up with the play-off hopeful! And i'm sure Robbo has his concerns too, To me they are goal scorers.

At the moment, Our top scorer is Shane  who is sitting at 26th place in the Championship scores list with a total of 4 goals. Storey will pop up now and then with a goal but was/never will be prolific in front of goal. Todarov probably comes into the same category.

We do have Macdonald back in the side, Along with Keatings and Doran and maybe Mcgregor to provide the ammo but i'm worried our guns are not big enough, Storey,Sutherland and Todorov are going to have to up their game big time for us to consider even being in the playoffs.

• Agree 1

We have the tightest defence, lost the joint lowest number of games in the league, we have the 4th best goal difference, unbeaten in the last 3 games and statistically on the 3rd best run of results in the division.

So yes we are 2nd bottom or 9th, but we also have played the fewest games by 2 which if we won would put us in joint 4th still with games over others.

What does all this show - only data and stats can be manipulated to be as positive or negative as you want. Its known our issues with lack of game time and matches being on this season and falling to a (false) low position is a concern especially if the League was to be ended early like last year, however that's looking unlikely for the premiership & championship so we have to keep faith that once games start they will be every few days so positive momentum could build quickly!!!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Even if the league were to be called now, on the same basis as last year with average points per game played, we would move up to 5th.

Team P GD Pts Pts per game
1 Hearts 16 24 37 2.313
2 Raith Rovers 14 7 24 1.714
3 Dunfermline 15 7 24 1.600
4 Dundee 13 0 20 1.538
5 Inverness CT 11 3 14 1.273
6 Ayr 14 2 17 1.214
7 Morton 15 -6 17 1.133
8 Queen of Sth 15 -12 15 1.000
9 Arbroath 16 -7 15 0.938
10 Alloa 15 -18 12 0.800

In the 11 league games we've played we've dropped 8 points from winning positions. 6 of those were against sides you'd expect us to beat. Having games in hand is only good if you can win them. We will be playing catch up now with the back log of fixtures and could be playing twice a week for some time. This could have a drastic effect on performance and fitness I think. Hopefully the boys will be up for the challenge and have the rants of Robbo ringing in their ears when they enter the field of play. Queens are up first and are in form just now so this isn't going to be as easy as it was when beat them in the TV game in Dumfries. That was our last win incidentally.

• Agree 4

After hearing that football is again in the spotlight after Rangers players have been alleged to have attended a house party, it is not impossible that the Government will lose patience and require the season to be paused or suspended.

Rasczak’s analysis may come into play but does highlight the importance of us picking up points as we play our games in hand.

Surely Wednesday’s game will go ahead, but we are up against a team on a pretty good run so will need to be up to pace for it and play well for the full 90 minutes. 

• Agree 1

It's a false position under very unusual circumstances so I don't have any great concerns - at the moment!

If, as Gringo says however, we don't pick up the available points from our games in hand we will be under great pressure with a very busy schedule and it won't be easy.

I'm putting my faith in Robbo to see us through ok - a win on Wednesday would be the tonic we all need to set us on our way.

• Like 1