Ayr United (A): 20 February

Robert

• tm4tj pinned and featured this topic

Should Auld Acquaintances be forgot...

We travel to Somerset Park, Ayr on Saturday for a 3:00pm kick-off against the Honest Men and renew acquaintances with a couple of former colleagues, namely Tom Walsh and Joe Chalmers.

It's been a difficult few weeks for the Caley Jags with postponements in abundance although we did return to action in midweek after the big freeze relented. Unfortunately, despite dominating the game, we went down 1-0 to Queen of the South when Nortei Nortey scored his first goal for the Doonhamers. We seemed to lack composure or pick the right ball as we failed to unlock the visitors defence and resorted to shooting from distance which keeper Ferguson dealt with comfortably. Failing that, many of our efforts were blocked before troubling the keeper or blazed high and wide which meant a frustrating night all round for the Caley Jags and their supporters.

Ayr have not played since losing narrowly to Hearts a couple of weeks ago, a Liam Boyce penalty the only difference between the sides.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OFFICIAL PREVIEW

Ayr United PPV £12.50

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Last 10 Competitive Meetings against Ayr United going back to August 2018
draw.png
1 - 1
(H)
loss.png
0 - 1
(A)
win.png
2 - 0
(H)
win.png
2 - 0
(A)
draw.png
1 - 1
(H)
win.png
3 - 1
(A)
win.png
1 - 0
(A)
win.png
3 - 2
(A)
win.png
1 - 0
(H)
draw.png
0 - 0
(H)

Incidentally, that 1-0 defeat shown in the above stats for January 2020 was the first win for Ayr in 17 years covering 14 games. We drew the first encounter this season in the Highlands when Nokolay Todorov earned a point with an 86th minute goal after Innes Cameron gave United the lead around the hour.

All fixtures on Saturday at 3:00pm

table12.jpgAyr United v Inverness CT

Arbroath v Raith Rovers

Dundee v Queen of the South

Dunfermline v Alloa Athletic

Hearts v Morton

Latest Team News

Robbo will be without the usual long term crocks, Kevin McHattie and Lewis Toshney (is he a real thing). Add Aaron Doran and recent loan signing Anthony McDonald to that list. James Vincent is a new short term casualty, another training ground injury. Good to see David Carson back on the pitch in midweek, his energy has been missed. Looks like more game time coming for our youngsters over the next few weeks which will see two games a week for the foreseeable future.

Mark Kerr has defender Jordan Houston returning to the squad after injury. We know all about the dangers that Walsh and Chalmers possess but there's more to United than that. Former Aberdeen and Dundee United forward Cammy Smith will cause problems and never write off veteran Michael Moffat. Young keeper Sinisalo is also proving to be an excellent shot stopper. The team that night v Hearts: Sinisalo, Miller, Muirhead, Baird, Ndaba, Chalmers (McGavin 79′), Murdoch, Walsh (Moffat 74′), Smith, McCowan, Wright.

Robbo talking ahead of the trip to Ayr...

This post has been promoted to an article

Sounds like Carson will start (Source: Inverness Courier) which is a bonus :ictscarf:

I know most will likely say we will likely get nothing out of this (or is it only Pie and Bovril forum where pessimistic fans are?) But I can see us either nicking a point or getting a smash and grab win :O.

Struggling to get enthused for this considering the disappointments for our previous few games. 

Glad Carson is likely starting. He provides energy and drive in midfield. He may be rusty though considering his lack of minutes. Will he replace Welsh or allardice. I would think Welsh with the number of games upcoming. 

Hopefully MacGregor gets a start. Even the last 10 mins against QoS he was linking play and always an option for a pass. Keatings didn't provide this and drifts out of games. 

If I'm honest, I don't rate todorov. Some fans seem to clamber for him I think because he is a different option. However, his control is generally poor and finishing isnt great (although same can be said for all our strikers unfortunately).

13 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

Keatings, Storey and Welsh drop to the bench.

Good to see MacGregor and Carson starting. Presumably Toddy up front and Sutherland wide right with Mackay wide left?

We may lack a bit of pace today.

• Agree 1

I'm in but no sound so far. Here we go again. More in hope than expectation. Glad to see Carson back, Keatings, Storey and Welsh were poor in midweek. But then who wasn't?

Edited by TheMantis
  • Agree 1

11 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

I'm in but no sound so far. Here we go again. More in hope than expectation. Glad to see Carson back, Keatings, Storey and Welsh were poor in midweek. But then who wasn't?

Mckay also on bench with Devine in.

Hover over the sound icon to the bottom left and it should let you get sound.

Windy conditions. Based on the first four minutes, whoever masters the wind will win this one. 

Edited by Robert

7 minutes ago, Robert said:

Mckay also on bench with Devine in.

Hover over the sound icon to the bottom left and it should let you get sound.

Windy conditions. 

No luck, slider on left, button on right. 2 browsers. Nowt.

I agree, it lets us see more.

A bit more power from Sutherland there and we’d have been ahead.

Ayr goal disallowed for a push in the build up.

The wind is benefitting Ayr this half in the main. 

Edited by Robert

• RiG unpinned this topic