Alloa Athletic -V- Inverness CT - Preview & Matchday

tm4tj

It is frustrating that we're walking a tightrope where a couple of bad results would put us in deep trouble but a couple of good ones would put us right in the play-off picture.

That said, who fancies us in Spiffle Premier play-offs?

I was actually quite possitive about the squad at the start of the season, thought there were some good signings in there but that's how much I know.

2 hours ago, TheMantis said:

Yip, appreciate that. When I say a fit Doran, I don’t mean the player who has filled a jersey but has struggled through games when he’s obviously not fit. His whole career has been a bit tragic, although if it hadn’t, he wouldn’t have been with us. He’s still only 29, but I’m slowly coming round to the view that maybe we should cut our losses.

Disagree. One of our best players ever and we’re lucky to still have him. Hope he can still give a decent bit to the cause!

• Like 1

Re Doran. I remember venturing a few years ago  that we werent missing Doran because there was nothing to miss. He was almost permanently injured or coming back. I got shot down in flames. I feel the same now and find myself in agreement with Mantis. He could actually be a liablility. Dont get me wrong................a fit Doran could be a match winner and a wee bit special. But will we ever see the likes again?

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I just wonder if we have also become a bit too predictable with our 4-4-2 or 4-3-3 set up. Other teams seem to be exploiting this too easily.

Perhaps it's time to change things slightly and give our promising full backs a bit more protection in defence as well as when they venture forward in the absence of the out and out wingers we are missing. Is switching to a back three plus two wing backs too obvious? Also have two central midfielders with two midfielders cum forwards with a free role supporting a target man up front might make things a bit more solid at across the park.

With the squad we have the names of players for each role are possibly interchangeable perhaps with the exception of the back three and the two wing backs. McKay, Deas and Devine are obvious back three for now, unless Toshney can work his way into the reckoning. Duffy and Harper would more than likely be the wing backs but Carson can also slot in on the right.

These are just my thoughts about how slight tinkering with the current limited squad in this difficult season might turn things around, at least to get us clear of the bottom. Making the Premiership play offs would be a bonus.     

• Agree 1

I’ve wondered about 3 5 2 also recently given our lack of natural width amongst the fit members of the squad, at least until we have Doran or McDonald available.

I agree the most likely 3 are Mckay, Devine and Deas.

The middle 5 would presumably have Duffy and Harper playing wide. We then pick three from Welsh, Carson, Allardice, Vincent, Mackay and MacGregor.

Up front it would be 2 from Toddy, Sutherland, Storey and Keatings.

I suspect we will stick with what has recently looked like a 4 4 2 though. 

Edited by Robert

Hard not to notice that McCann persisted with trying to play it out from the back despite 1) the players really not looking comfortable with it; and 2) Alloa, like Dundee, cottoning on to this and press us high up the pitch making things even more uncomfortable. 

Very strange that McCann didn't seem to make any changes in response to this. I could hear Peter Grant over the stream (or a member of his coaching staff) telling his players to push right up on us. Hard to believe McCann couldn't also hear this.

Highlights from Alloa are here BTW.

2 hours ago, RiG said:

Hard not to notice that McCann persisted with trying to play it out from the back despite 1) the players really not looking comfortable with it; and 2) Alloa, like Dundee, cottoning on to this and press us high up the pitch making things even more uncomfortable. 

Very strange that McCann didn't seem to make any changes in response to this. I could hear Peter Grant over the stream (or a member of his coaching staff) telling his players to push right up on us. Hard to believe McCann couldn't also hear this.

Highlights from Alloa are here BTW.

A bit strange that Grant took about 10 minutes to do this as even a blind man knew that McCann would have them trying to keep possession at the back - even the two commentators were predicting it pre-match.  But early on they just left us loads of space to get on with it.

Edited by TheMantis

7 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

A bit strange that Grant took about 10 minutes to do this as even a blind man knew that McCann would have them trying to keep possession at the back - even the two commentators were predicting it pre-match.  But early on they just left us loads of space to get on with it.

Probably got that from TWS scouting report that was prepared for them ahead of the game :laugh:

I've seen enough this season to suggest there is a good team team but it is inconsistent and for me the biggest issue is lacking a number 9 who can put the goals away. Keatings is past his best but is the best natural goal scorer in the squad as Toddy isnt prolific and Shane showed in the big moments that we cant rely on him to take the big chances to make a difference. The league table is a contridiction of pros and cons. The pro is it still pretty tight that IF (big if) caley go on a winning run they will sneak into the play offs but is there much confidence that they will in those play offs? But flip it upside down and the league being tight is also very dangerous as make the wrong move and could be looking at a lower division. For me it is about self preservation now making sure we stay safe which I think we will. If that leads to the play offs then great but these are the games to cash in and frankly it hasnt been good enough 

• Agree 2

Todorov has a decent return with a goal every 182 minutes.  That's a goal every other game if he was playing a full 90 minutes and his goal conversion rate is significantly higher than our other strikers.  I've sometimes felt that he's almost trying to hard and has maybe snatched at some chances.  You can't fault his effort and he gets in some decent positions.  I think if he was to get a proper run in the side he could get enough goals to at least help us keep in touch with the playoffs at the right end of the table and away from them at the wrong end.  

• Agree 2

• tm4tj unpinned this topic