Raith Rovers -V- Inverness CT - Tuesday - Preview

tm4tj

• Replies 84
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Crikey that was tense, especially following it via BBC website/Livescore App....what an evening to start drinking whisky!

Hopefully, Welsh and Keatings knocks aren't too bad, and their subs was down to time management

Good that Daniel got the only goal after he got a little bit of criticism about his performance on Friday

It is crazy that suddenly a promotion place is within reach, lets hope Dunfermline don't snuff that out this weekend, as chasing a play-off spot is more motivational than trying to stay out of trouble.

I think we deserved the win. We were well on top for most of the first half, both before and after the red card. We were unlucky not to be ahead from Devine’s header and Mackay’s shot.

Raith started the second half strongly and our goal was against the run of play, but we deserved it. Good finish by Mackay after Raith messed up dealing with a long kick out by Ridgers.

We then had to defend in the main and came under a fair deal of pressure, but between Ridgers and poor finishing we came through unscathed and had a few chances on the break.

Deas was the top player for me, particularly in the first half, whilst Welsh bossed the midfield in the first half. We cannot question the effort or commitment of any of them. Carson neutralised Kennedy again whilst Devine handled Ugwu well.

I hope Welsh and Keatings are ok after the knocks they took.

We now need to build on this. We looked confident in the first half and need to repeat that at Dunfermline on Saturday.

If we can, maybe we can look up the table again rather than looking down it!

A very big ask for what must be a tired squad nursing numerous knocks but if we can somehow best the Pars on Saturdsy we can just about stop looking anxiously over our shoulders and begin to look forward again.

Things are looking just a little less gloomy.

8 minutes ago, Robert said:

If we can, maybe we can look up the table again rather than looking down it!

We have the choice - 3 points off 4th and 3 points from 9th, keeps the glass half-full and the glass half-empty crowds both happy!

What baffles me is, we spend all this time keeping possession and passing it backwards, as if it's going to lead to somebody finding a pass, but then we just hoof it anyway. May as well just hoof it right away...

What is it with us and playing well against top teams yet struggle against "bottom half/smaller teams" 🤔

We have now drawn Hearts, Raith once and Dunfermline plus beaten Raith twice.  

Regarding struggling teams : One loss and 2 draws v Alloa, 1 draw against Arbroath and a loss to Morton.

It's weird how that is the case :ictscarf:

7 hours ago, CaleyTennis said:

What is it with us and playing well against top teams yet struggle against "bottom half/smaller teams" 🤔

I have sometimes wondered if it is similar to me when I used to play golf 😀

When I was having a bad round, chances are I would do best - par or birdie - on the hardest holes on the course, and screw up the easier ones.

My wife is no sports coach or golfer, but when I said this to her, she had an immediate suggestion - "you must concentrate better on the hard holes". 

Something similar could well be going on with the team.

Very pleased with the win.  Couldn't believe the first ten minutes or so - we came right out of the blocks with attitude and pinned them back, setting the scene for the rest of the match.  As so often, 10 men were hard to beat - maybe it's that concentration thing again, with the 10 men putting in a little extra.

Once again we can thank Mark Ridgers for keeping us alive.  I have just looked at the BBC stats, and am surprised to see that the shooting stats are about even - I though that Raith had more scoring chances than we did.  We still couldn't score in a brothel.

And finally, I learned a new expression - "that rips my mitten".  The only other reference to it that I can find is that one of the presenters on "Off The Ball" uses it a lot, and so I've never heard it down here in Englandshire.  Sounds useful, and I assume it's not rude, otherwise they wouldn't have been saying it!   

24 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

@snorbens_caleyman It’s knitting, not mitten...

So it is.    Still never heard it before  :lol:

In my defence, I offer you this from https://www.football365.com/news/programme-of-the-week-bbc-radio-scotlands-off-the-ball

"Stuart comments that Tam is always using the expression about things that “absolutely rip yer mitten”. I have yet to find out what “rip yer mitten” actually means but I don’t care. It’s a great expression and anyone who says it’s not really rips my mitten."

• tm4tj unpinned this topic