The Election

Kingsmills

44 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

The interesting thing about the constituency map IBM posted is that Scotland will be a fair bit smaller when the border regions choose to remain in the UK.

Even more interesting is the patchwork map that arises if you show where support for independence is below 50% rather than just which party got most votes. You then have the tantalising prospect of even Edinburgh Central, home of the parliament and Bute House, not being in Scotland.

The SNP will of course respect the right of the people to choose their own future because that’s what this is all about, isn’t it? How many thousand times have we heard the line “dragged out of the (European) union against its will”? Same principle applies to any part of Scotland that doesn’t want to leave the UK, they should be granted a referendum and a right to choose. I look forward to the SNP folk getting tangled up in their hypocrisy trying to argue against the very principle that is their raison d’etre.

An entirely valid argument which, following it to it's logical conclusion, means that since each of London, Manchester, Liverpool and Newcastle Upon Tyne all voted to remain within the European Union, they ought to have been given the opportunity to remain as Independent City states.

More seriously, you make extremely well the argument why Scotland, which did not vote the same way as it's neighbour, in the EU referendum ought to be given the opportunity to choose a different path.

There are many sound arguments for remaining within the Union. For goodness sake please employ them instead of resorting to this infantile and ridiculous nonsense!

Edited by Kingsmills

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

One very clear feature of the election is the continuing decline of the Liberal Democrats as a credible political entity.

Agreed, although, along with the Greens, they had a few encouraging results in Engerlandshire - https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2021/may/07/lib-dems-and-greens-make-gains-in-english-local-elections

They have taken overall control of my local council in St Albans, which was one of only two English seats to kick out a Tory MP in the 2019 GE.  (The other was Zac Goldsmith in Richmond.)

I think a way forward at the next GE would be for Labour, Lib Dems, Greens and maybe Plaid to form a pact, promising a temporary coalition government until some form of PR could be pushed through Parliament, and then going for another GE under PR.  Whether the SNP and Scottish Greens would be involved would probably depend on the prospects for independence at the time.

However, that's far too radical, especially for Labour, so I wouldn't put a lot of money on it!

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

There are many sound arguments for remaining within the Union. For goodness sake please employ them instead of resorting to this infantile and ridiculous nonsense!

It’s not an argument for remaining in the UK, just consistent application of the SNP’s own position after separation on the right of people to choose their future when they live in a part of the country that gets dragged out of the UK against their will. The only credible answer the SNP can give is to accept that principle otherwise they show themselves up for what they are.

Obviously areas in the middle of Scotland would not seriously consider leaving due to the practical issues it would cause, but the border region is where the impact of the hard border would have greatest impact on peoples lives and jobs. I spent part of my life just a few miles this side of the border and the people I still know there have even more contempt for nationalism than I do!

12 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

It’s not an argument for remaining in the UK, just consistent application of the SNP’s own position after separation on the right of people to choose their future when they live in a part of the country that gets dragged out of the UK against their will. The only credible answer the SNP can give is to accept that principle otherwise they show themselves up for what they are.

Obviously areas in the middle of Scotland would not seriously consider leaving due to the practical issues it would cause, but the border region is where the impact of the hard border would have greatest impact on peoples lives and jobs. I spent part of my life just a few miles this side of the border and the people I still know there have even more contempt for nationalism than I do!

Something we can agree on. Nationalism is indeed a philosophy worthy of contempt and it's to the credit of the mainstream parties in Scotland that none of them advocate it.

Today is when the MSPs in the new parliament get sworn in and get to work.

With the retirement of Ken Macintosh, their first task will be to elect a new Presiding Officer.

Since the parliament was reconvened we have had Presiding Officers from every mainstream party other than the Greens so my money will be on a Green MSP perhaps that experienced and very capable Alison Johnstone.