Scottish Cup 4th round draw

Yngwie

57 minutes ago, AndreaMutombo said:

so is the cup now the only way to get Europa league football? do hibs and Aberdeen play in the conference? 

Aye. Celtic and Rangers are Champions League, 4th and 5th are Conference and Cup winners are Europa. Dunno how it'll work if Celtic or Rangers win the cup tho. Will the Europa League spot go to 5th or 3rd?

I could just about see the justification for disrupting the football schedule for the funeral of the monarch herself but for a consort surely today's silence followed by a similar show of respect on the day of the funeral would suffice.

The death of a very elderly man is extremely sad for his family and those who knew and loved him but we have not postponed football matches for the sake of the 140 000 or so who have died in the past year or so either directly or indirectly from Covid and I am unconvinced that it is appropriate or necessary to do so next Saturday either.

• Agree 7
  • Well Said 1

The nearest precedent I can think of was the funeral of Diana which was on a Saturday morning. Despite her being a popular figure, she had even less constitutional importance than the Duke, but I think all senior UK football was postponed that day, even games like a Scotland international due to take place hours after the funeral finished. The SFA initially wanted to play it as scheduled but eventually gave in to public pressure. They are maybe concerned about another backlash and accusations of a lack of respect.

Edited by Yngwie

9 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

The nearest precedent I can think of was the funeral of Diana which was on a Saturday morning. Despite her being a popular figure, she had even less constitutional importance than the Duke, but I think all senior UK football was postponed that day, even games like a Scotland international due to take place hours after the funeral finished. The SFA initially wanted to play it as scheduled but eventually gave in to public pressure. They are maybe concerned about another backlash and accusations of a lack of respect.

I remember it well. Largely because of the huge amount of flack that came my way for opening my office as usual on the day of Diana's funeral.

1 hour ago, Jack Waddington said:

Aye. Celtic and Rangers are Champions League, 4th and 5th are Conference and Cup winners are Europa. Dunno how it'll work if Celtic or Rangers win the cup tho. Will the Europa League spot go to 5th or 3rd?

ahhhh gotcha, I think if Celtic or rangers win the cup, 3rd should get Europa and 4th and 5th get conference, that’s if Scotland now have 5 teams in Europe idek

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

I could just about see the justification for disrupting the football schedule for the funeral of the monarch herself but for a consort surely today's silence followed by a similar show of respect on the day of the funeral would suffice.

The death of a very elderly man is extremely sad for his family and those who knew and loved him but we have not postponed football matches for the sake of the 140 000 or so who have died in the past year or so either directly or indirectly from Covid and I am unconvinced that it is appropriate or necessary to do so next Saturday either.

Sorry, I disagree. He has done a significant amount in his role, not least in turning round the lives of many throughout the Commonwealth, not least in Scotland, through the Duke of Edinburgh Awards scheme, so rescheduling a few games out of respect is something that we should embrace. Early kick offs seem the logical solution, or moving the games to the Sunday (as long as the Dundee game gets moved back too).

• Like 1

Just now, Robert said:

Sorry, I disagree. He has done a significant amount in his role, not least in turning round the lives of many throughout the Commonwealth, not least in Scotland, through the Duke of Edinburgh Awards scheme, so rescheduling a few games out of respect is something that we should embrace. Early kick offs seem the logical solution, or moving the games to the Sunday (as long as the Dundee game gets moved back too).

I respect your view but continue to beg to differ.

Many many individuals have done enormous amounts to improve the lot of society and we, quite rightly, honour and mark these contributions when they pass away but without the necessity to disrupt life already unavoidably disrupted by the global health emergency.

• Agree 2
  • Well Said 1

11 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

I respect your view but continue to beg to differ.

And I respect yours too.

The SFA have a decision to make and, whenever we play, be it 1500 next Saturday or not, I will be paying St Mirren to watch the game and hoping we beat them!!

Edited by Robert

32 minutes ago, Jack Waddington said:

Friday night at 6. Massive kick in the bollocks for everyone who has a job and will likely be working through the game...

Why they couldn't move it to 7:45 on the Saturday when everyone would be out of work baffles me.

I think Friday is much better for us. Gives us an extra days recovery before we play a massive match against Dundee on the Tuesday night. 

• Agree 3

52 minutes ago, Jack Waddington said:

Friday night at 6. Massive kick in the bollocks for everyone who has a job and will likely be working through the game...

Do they think that everyone knocks off early on Fridays?

At 7:45 on Friday, BBC Scotland is showing.... Forfar vs Dundee United.  I'd say that is the least attractive of the three ties on Friday.

754323375_4throundfixtures.jpg.f2d78d883ef4fc2c892516f368bbf729.jpg

• Agree 1

Interesting time given there is a non TV game at 1900. Perhaps the club wanted an early kick off given the journey back north afterwards? We had an 1830 in the league before the times settled on 1900, so it is possible the time is down to us rather than the SFA.

Friday is better than Sunday given the Dundee game on the following Tuesday. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

2 hours ago, Jack Waddington said:

Why they couldn't move it to 7:45 on the Saturday when everyone would be out of work baffles me.

I start work at 8pm Jack, I have to miss the pleasure of Friday or Saturday evening games every week 😕

44 minutes ago, Satan said:

And all this disruption is so that we can all tune in to a  live funeral broadcast on Saturday...😤

Well I will not be tuning in for that it will be easy to find something better to do :smile:

• Agree 2

3 hours ago, Satan said:

And all this disruption is so that we can all tune in to a  live funeral broadcast on Saturday...😤

Not me. Thanks to the D of E's funeral I can now go and play bowls that afternoon, the first day of the new season, and watch our game v St Mirren on Friday. 😁