Morton -V- Inverness CT - Preview

tm4tj

Just now, Robert said:

Mine too!!

..and mine. Another confident performance. Shane giving up his day job and reverting to full time football was a gamble for him and for us but one that is increasingly paying off. In his current form he is unlucky not to start but a wonderful asset to bring on from the bench.

It's increasingly apparent that the fact that the start of our timely run of form coincided with bringing in Billy Dodds is no coincidence at all.

Pity Dundee got all three points but, if we continue to play like this  we won't have to worry about what other teams are doing.

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

What a great result!  Following via various apps is hard work, especially as it seems Morton came on really strong after half time. The corner count is widely in their favour!

Fortunately Toddy was on fire tonight...I'm think of adopting him! And Daniel did it again..... Hopefully Storey will be spurred on to go on a scoring run for himself.

McCann and Dodds seem to have worked out the right combo's, but the bench looked a wee sparse tonight...hopefully guys like Welsh, were given the night off to be ready for Saturday, and we'll need contributions from guys like Duffy, McHattie, and Keatings for the run in and the Cup [if we were to beat St Mirren, but were still in with shout of the play-offs we might have to take a decision which is more important].... Good to see Vincent get some game time, and Allardice reminding us what a decent signing he is!

Of course every game at this stage is important when in this position, Saturday is a 'mustn't lose' game if we can't secure the win...but we have some big momentum running

• Agree 1

Great to see so many positive comments but it's well deserved, another great team effort including the coaching staff with subs coming at the right time.  Four cracking goals :clapping:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

10 minutes ago, Eagle4Caley said:

and we'll need contributions from guys like Duffy, McHattie, and Keatings for the run in and the Cup [if we were to beat St Mirren, but were still in with shout of the play-offs we might have to take a decision which is more important]....

Right enough Eagle, nice as a cup run is I wouldn't want to see any distraction from the main event which is now within touching distance...

I’ve just worked out that even with just a few games left, it’s still possible for Dunfermline, QotS, Ayr, Arbroath and Morton to all overtake us and leave in the relegation play-off.

Yes my glass is half empty, so I’d better go and top it up....

Edited by Yngwie
  • Facepalm 1

We were 2nd best for much of that but 4 terrific strikes was the difference.  Credit to Morton though, they kept going to the end and provided a greater threat than last Friday's opponents.   They had a good bit more of the possession and put us under a lot of pressure as the corner count demonstrates.  Our back line played pretty well, but at times it was back to the wall stuff.  A lot has been said about Allan, but tonight he looked some way short of match fit.  We suddenly looked a lot more threatening when Sutherland replaced him.

A win against Queen of the South at the weekend or both Arbroath and Morton losing would make us mathematically safe from the drop - not that we will be worrying about that!  We are definitely the form team at the moment, so things are looking pretty bright.

• Agree 4

34 minutes ago, Robert said:

One for the statisticians: when did we last win 6 in a row?

And, looking forward to Saturday, when did we last win 7 in a row?

Sadly we have no choice but to try and get a win this Saturday. The last 6 games have been amazing so now is not the time to stop the momentum.

What a great win.  I was involved in a long Zoom call this evening so couldn't watch the streaming.  So wonerful surprise for me to see a 4-1 victory, even though it sounds that the scoreline flattered us.

But I'll take it.  Good that we have found our shooting boots in recent matches.  Let's hope we can keep this good run going

Onwards and upwards

13 minutes ago, Caley Mad In Berks said:

What a great win.  I was involved in a long Zoom call this evening so couldn't watch the streaming.  So wonerful surprise for me to see a 4-1 victory, even though it sounds that the scoreline flattered us.

I wouldn't particularly say it flattered us. We could have scored another two or three but that's being greedy. Plenty of huff and puff by Morton but little cutting edge. 

The pitch was a great leveller early on. After the break Morton got their reward for hard graft but when Toddy scored his sensational goal the wheels fell off the Morton buggy. Dan was the icing on the cake, so thoroughly deserved win at an often difficult venue. Same again on Saturday on a better surface and things will be looking up.

Its goals that count and we got three more than them, good enough for me.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

12 minutes ago, tm4tj said:

I wouldn't particularly say it flattered us. We could have scored another two or three but that's being greedy. Plenty of huff and puff by Morton but little cutting edge. 

The pitch was a great leveller early on. After the break Morton got their reward for hard graft but when Toddy scored his sensational goal the wheels fell off the Morton buggy. Dan was the icing on the cake, so thoroughly deserved win at an often difficult venue. Same again on Saturday on a better surface and things will be looking up.

Its goals that count and we got three more than them, good enough for me.

That's the way I saw it as well we are scoring good goals now :smile: how many times earlier in the season did we huff and puff and were lucky to come away with a point?

• Agree 2

8 hours ago, Yngwie said:

Got me thinking, where does he stand in our list of best ever East European strikers?!

He’s having the best season of his career:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nikolay_Todorov_(footballer,_born_1996)

Stumbled across this link on his Wikipedia page. Whoever did it can’t know much about Scottish teams: King of the South and as for how Cowdenbeath appears! Some light relief.

https://tech2.org/bulgaria/nikolay-todorov-passed-under-marriage/

Edited by Robert

• tm4tj unpinned this topic