Best route to playoffs

Moogthurso

Dissappointed we didn't sneak the win today but the more I look at the fixtures, at my horoscope and to karma I really believe our most likely route to the playoffs is actually Dundee losing all their games. 

Dunfermline or queens knock each other out of a place but in doing so they both beat Dundee who have to play Raith, Queens, Dunfermline and Caley Thistle.

I know hearts and inverness fans would love that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Moogthurso said:

Dissappointed we didn't sneak the win today but the more I look at the fixtures, at my horoscope and to karma I really believe our most likely route to the playoffs is actually Dundee losing all their games. 

Dunfermline or queens knock each other out of a place but in doing so they both beat Dundee who have to play Raith, Queens, Dunfermline and Caley Thistle.

I know hearts and inverness fans would love that.

It will be interesting to see if hearts now field a different side now for the last bunch of games or if they want to try and keep momentum. Definitely believe we can take points off them at our best, 100%

Whilst it would be good if they did, it is very unlikely Dundee will lose all their games. We need to focus on winning our last three league games.

If we could pick results to suit us, Dunfermline have been struggling recently and are at home to Dundee and Queen of the South before we play next in the league, so the best outcome for us would be Dundee beating Dunfermline, Raith beating Queen of the South and Queen of the South beating Dunfermline.

Chances are that won’t all happen, but if it did we’d still be fourth doing into the Dundee game.

Our best option is definitely to focus on winning our games, as nine points should see us in the top four.

• Agree 3

There are so many permutations, it is nigh impossible to figure it out. With three tough games in a week for us it is a steep ask. But i am also convinced the others will drop points along the way.

So what's the bet it all goes down to the last day. We will need three points, and also rely on other results going our way....

It's that close.

Edited by The Long Man
  • Agree 1

@The Long Man - That's why I prefer the Championship. In the space of a month we have gone from staring down relegation to playoff candidates and in most years thats the scenario, with still something to decide on the last day. Its a shame the top division isn't as competitive usually … and that the championship doesn't have the same financial rewards. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Qué Sera Sera whatever will be, will be. It is now down to the "bottle" factor and at least we have momentum going and we should regard ourselves as the underdogs, pis£ a few peeps off and walk tall at the end of a torrid season. And apologies but the Grand Seer Committee will not allow me to even hint on the outcome 🙄

• Funny 1

Dundee and Dunfermline playing out a scoreless makes the path to the playoffs that little bit easier.  Now puts it into our own hands - if we win our 3 remaining matches we're in (although I don't think we'll actually need to).

Tonight’s results pretty good for us.

On Saturday Dunfermline play Queen of the South. Anything other than a Dunfermline win will see us still in fourth going into the Dundee game which would be a benefit.

I agree with Hiro that we may not need three wins to end in fourth, but we do need to target three wins as, if we achieve that, we will be in the play offs.

As Hearts seem to have recovered their form and we have to play them away, a win against Dundee is very important to our hopes.

It looks like it could well come down to the Ayr game at the end of the month. 

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 1

Stupid topic.

We can't be in the playoff now, unless Morton and Alloa win all of their remaining games (unlikely) and we lose all our remaining games (hopefully not).

Edited by aaroncoganshogun

Dunfermline 1-0 up on Queen of the South at half time. If they win they go two points above us and our game in band is the Dundee game on Tuesday.

Let’s hope Queen of the South can do us a favour in the second half. 

Edited by Robert

It finished 3-1 so we have slipped to 5th, 2 points behind Dunfermline and 4 behind Dundee.

It makes our requirement clear for Tuesday: we need to win or it is out of our hands again. 

Edited by Robert
Corrected points behind Dunfermline. Thanks Mantis!

1 hour ago, Robert said:

It finished 3-1 so we have slipped to 5th, 1 point behind Dunfermline and 4 behind Dundee.

It makes our requirement clear for Tuesday: we need to win or it is out of our hands again. 

2 points Shirley?

• Agree 1

Who would you rather be just now in the battle for 4th place, us or Dunfermline?

I’d say it is advantage Dunfermline after their good win over QotS today, with them having points on the board and easier fixtures left.

Edited by Yngwie

12 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

Who would you rather be just now in the battle for 4th place, us or Dunfermline?

I’d say it is advantage Dunfermline after their good win over QotS today, with them having points on the board and easier fixtures left.

In a way I'm glad we dont have Dunfermline's fixtures. We always seen to struggle against Arbroath and Alloa so the games we have left might suit us better.

27 minutes ago, Moogthurso said:

The championship is a great competition but after drawing at queens we may still end up fifth.

Thats why I was pinning my hopes on Dundee losing multiple games.

I think we are now unlikely to get 4th spot. 

As I have said before, 5th place would be quite acceptable to me but I dont see us being in a position to strengthen the squad if we stay in this division. I think we now need 9 from 9 to have a chance of going up.

If we get edged out then it won't be for a lack of trying and I'm extremely impressed with the effort of late to get us into this position. Although I think we'll get 4th it's a helluva tough league where nothing can be taken for granted and we may very well get edged out, but  whatever comes about I really, really want us to give Dundee a right good old thrashing on Tuesday!