Thank You !

Scotty

A HUGE thank YouI want to take a few moments to say a huge public thank-you to 3 specific forum members who have been toiling behind the scenes to update our entire stats program during the course of the pandemic. Its mind-numbing and repetitive work but it helps us immensely. 

Step forward: @IBM @ictewd and last but not least @tm4tj

We are now at a stage where, if you go into any of the sub-menus from the main menu items shown below, the data you are presented with should be complete. 

image.png

This was a truly gargantuan task with every ICT game needing to be entered, team lines added, checking for yellow/red cards, substitutions and all sorts of other data. It also involved going through every single season and entering ALL the results for every team from that division for every season so the league table in the match report area showed the weekly table within a tab in the match stats .... If you want to check how it works ... go back to the fixtures page for season 2009/10 and relive Dundee's bottle crashing by viewing the table for each week as the season progresses ... its fun 🙂  : https://caleythistleonline.com/team/fixtures.html/. Ross Tokely, for years had the wrong number of appearances in our stats as some of the earlier seasons had incorrect or missing data. Not anymore. He is rightly at the top of the charts with his 589 appearances and 36 goals. 36 goals! That makes him our 10th top scorer of all time ... With Dennis Wyness now showing his 101 goals as the top scorer ... These stats have all been checked against Ian Broadfoot's stats which are and will forever remain the gold standard for ICT data, so I know the guys have done a tremendous job when it matches with those stats. 

A big benefit of having all this data up to date is the TM4TJ can have confidence to use our own stats in the previews and reports instead of having to go searching multiple sources to verify any information, which has meant that more recently he has had these online either in real-time or barely 10 minutes after the match has ended. I cannot thank these guys enough for all this effort, because I know how much it takes to keep it up to date.

Separately to the stats stuff, TM4TJ has also spend a s***load of time going back many years and entering and updating match reports which is why you might see them on your feed as new items every so often. 

Whilst I have not been completely active in the data entry process, I have been around in the background tweaking and adjusting the coding within the stats program and trying to see if I can pull more data out of the database using my somewhat limited PHP/SQL skills. This work will continue because the guys - after taking a well-earned break - are hoping to go through the player data and get the player profiles entered/updated and up to date. 

We ask for volunteers all the time but this time around we hit the jackpot with @ictewd and @IBM. If anyone else wants to get in on the act and help us to enter player data or other info or offer help with other stuff, then please let myself or @tm4tj know. Those people who keep an eye out for EX-ICT scorers for example may want to help with highlighting a player's other clubs in their profile. I also know TM4TJ is always looking for people to help with articles, and I would be especially keen to hear from anyone with PHP/SQL skills, especially if you have knowledge of converting PHP5 to PHP7 as that's another project I have in the works for the stats as they were originally written in the earlier version. 

Once again THANK YOU guys. It truly is appreciated. 

• Like 1
  • Thank You 4
  • Well Said 8

Awww shucks Scotty :blush:

Yeah it was mind numbing stuff at times but great to see it all come together.

IBM is now the main man for keeping our PotY poll running smoothly and EWD has been adding stats after every game plus all league scores that keep the league tables ticking over as well as completing the updating of every score since we entered the leagues, that's the one that gives us the league tables in chronological order. All this helps immensely and leaves me more time to concentrate on Previews and Reports which have been coming thick and fast this season, non stop to be honest. These previews and reports are not necessarily aimed at our own site users but are the front face of the site for anyone dropping in for a look. So although our own likes/dislikes are not massive, we know that some articles get a lot of views so that's pleasing. They also get promoted to Caley Thistle Online Facebook page and Twitter account.

As Scotty said if anyone wants a shot at doing any articles/overviews or just anything ICT related just let us know. Maybe my bloggy style of reporting cheeses some off, who knows but unless anyone else wants a shot, then you will have to put up with me :nanananana:

So big thanks to IBM & EWD for helping out diligently and taking time off their own routines to keep this site ticking over. :clapoverhead:

• Like 1
  • Thank You 5
  • Well Said 3

As someone who is a regular user of the site and one who has steadfastly resisted all the invitations to help out with it, can I say a huge "thank you" to all who put in so much work behind the scenes to make CTO such an excellent and informative site.  Being involved in other things, I know just how hard it is to get people with the right skills and the motivation to do what is necessary week after week to keep thinks going.  All the hard work of volunteers really is very much appreciated.  I applaud you all. :clapoverhead::clapoverhead:

• Like 1
  • Well Said 3

42 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

the one stop forum that it has been for ICT fans for almost as long as the club has existed.

fixed it for you. We were online in Jul 1994, a little before the club played its first competitive game. Was little more than a front page and a guestbook, but we were there. There was actually another site online around the same time too, possibly even slightly earlier but it was short-lived and the person who had it moved on. 

• Like 1
  • Funny 1

Can I add my sincere gratitude to all involved. This Forum is excellent and having all the stats up to date is fascinating, particularly as I was away from the area for many of the initial years after ICT came into being.

I’ve recently finished working my way through Milestones and Memories which filled many gaps by covering matches I was unable to witness, and was a great reminder of many I was able to attend, so it is great the Forum is now at the level it is today thanks to the hard work.

Thanks again to those involved. 

Absolutely top quality work rate and effort from you all. I'm sure the late Ian Broadfoot would be extremely proud of what you guys have done. I salute and applaud you all. Drinks are on me when / if / wherever we should meet.

8 hours ago, Gringo said:

Absolutely top quality work rate and effort from you all. I'm sure the late Ian Broadfoot would be extremely proud of what you guys have done. I salute and applaud you all. Drinks are on me when / if / wherever we should meet.

I am thinking they should be on me after all that effort being put in -- including by you too ! 

• Thank You 1

• tm4tj unpinned this topic