Challenge Cup final scrapped

ICT94Scott

Does anyone know when we’re playing this final against Raith? Obviously the 2020/21 competition was postponed back in October after majority of clubs voted against playing in it but not seeing anything on our final apart from that it will be arranged later on this season? 

Think the realistic timing will be in Late May/Early June. Far enough back that fans will be allowed to attend due to vaccinations being rolled out almost completely by then, but early enough that it doesn't conflict with the League Cup.

But assuming that it doesn't go ahead, it'll probably be made a shared title.

Edited by Jack Waddington

16 hours ago, Jack Waddington said:

Think the realistic timing will be in Late May/Early June. Far enough back that fans will be allowed to attend due to vaccinations being rolled out almost completely by then, but early enough that it doesn't conflict with the League Cup.

But assuming that it doesn't go ahead, it'll probably be made a shared title.

Not a chance it will be those dates imho 

22 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Just split the sponsorship prize money between the two finalists and move on.

Agreed. Just get this out of the road and look forwards.

The problems are that nothing can be arranged as long as Raith are in the play offs, whilst we will be rusty by the time it could be played, and will probably have let the players start their summer break, as there is no reason to have them training after Friday’s game.

That would put us at a disadvantage so it is unlikely the club would agree to a late May date. Early next season could be a possibility, and hopefully crowds are back then.

However, I agree with others, and would be happy if they declared us joint winners and we can focus on next season. 

• Agree 1

12 hours ago, Robert said:

The problems are that nothing can be arranged as long as Raith are in the play offs, whilst we will be rusty by the time it could be played, and will probably have let the players start their summer break, as there is no reason to have them training after Friday’s game.

That would put us at a disadvantage so it is unlikely the club would agree to a late May date. Early next season could be a possibility, and hopefully crowds are back then.

However, I agree with others, and would be happy if they declared us joint winners and we can focus on next season. 

Summer break starts Saturday morning, many of them have their bags packed, lol.

On the Toddy thread a couple of weeks ago, I said...

ICT and Raith cannot both reach the playoff finals (19 & 23 May), so the season for one of them will end on the 15th at the very latest.  In fact the season could be over for both on the 9th.

I can't see either club wanting to keep its players hanging around for an essentially meaningless game two or three weeks later.  Especially if travel restrictions have been eased and some players could go and see families and friends for the first time in a long time.

Added to that, if there is now bad blood between the clubs, then it might be better not to play it.

I haven't looked at the contractual aspect of it, i.e. whether they might be forced to play it to satisfy the SPFL and Tunnocks.

JOINT WINNERS

The Scottish Professional Football League (the “SPFL”) today announced that the final of the Tunnock’s Caramel Wafer Cup will not take place and that Inverness Caledonian Thistle and Raith Rovers have been declared joint winners of the competition for Season 2019/20.

What that means is they both win a joint :rasta:

• Like 1

• tm4tj changed the title to Challenge Cup final scrapped