Dan Mackay Easter road bound

FrontRow

That would be disappointing after we finally have started to see the promise he has but given his recent form it's not too much of a surprise that he is on the radar of top tier clubs. Hopefully we get some decent money for him at least. I think he has one year left on his contract? Six figures would be excellent but I suspect I am dreaming.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

I wonder, though I have no idea if this would be possible, if part of the Allan loan deal was that Hibs had some kind of first option on MacKay? I am hopeful we can get six figures for Danny. We got £100,000 for Donaldson (all in) and he was only months away from his contract expiring. Still a full year to go before MacKays deal winds down IIRC.

It has always been inevitable that we will lose our best players to bigger clubs. What ICT need to do is secure good deals that will benefit the club and not let these lads go for peanuts.

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, CELTIC1CALEY3 said:

With Ryan possibly off to Norwich or Burnley we will at least soon have some money in the bank.

Not if they choose to run out his contract for a free deal. Might want to try to negotiate a sell on clause with them tho...

3 hours ago, Jack Waddington said:

Not if they choose to run out his contract for a free deal. Might want to try to negotiate a sell on clause with them tho...

If he runs down his contract, neither Celtic or ICT would have any say in his future contract, so I dont see where any "sell on clause " would apply.

Disappointing but not surprising.

I can see Danny playing International football within two years if he continues to develop at the rate he has this season.

A six figure sum for him would be handy right now but a substantial sell on clause may be far more fruitful in the long run.

As far as he is concerned, I can see why he would be tempted but I wonder whether from a professional point of view, there might be merit to all parties in him signing a two year contract extension with us for as much as we can reasonably afford with Danny getting a cut of any transfer fee with a view to him continuing his professional development in familiar surroundings and moving on to a bigger club than Hibs.

• Agree 4

5 hours ago, RiG said:

If anyone hasn't listened to it yet don't forget we had a chat with Danny last month before the Highland Derby game.

Got loads of those to catch up on. This retirement lark doesn't give me a lot of spare time..:banana:

• Agree 2

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

As far as he is concerned, I can see why he would be tempted but I wonder whether from a professional point of view, there might be merit to all parties in him signing a two year contract extension with us for as much as we can reasonably afford with Danny getting a cut of any transfer fee with a view to him continuing his professional development in familiar surroundings and moving on to a bigger club than Hibs.

On similar lines, I was wondering whether it would be worth trying to sign our young prospects on longer contracts, so that we could get a year or so more out of them after they become good enough to have the spotlight fall on them, or at least pick up more money if they do move on as soon as a bigger club comes calling.

I don't know what length of contract he is on, and what would be accepted by a young player nowadays.  Any ideas?

43 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

Edinburgh Evening News reported earlier today that a fee has been agreed between the clubs (but don’t even speculate as to how much it is).

It's into six figures I understand plus "add ons".

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

On similar lines, I was wondering whether it would be worth trying to sign our young prospects on longer contracts, so that we could get a year or so more out of them after they become good enough to have the spotlight fall on them, or at least pick up more money if they do move on as soon as a bigger club comes calling.

I don't know what length of contract he is on, and what would be accepted by a young player nowadays.  Any ideas?

Just my opinion but I would be giving first year pros 2 year contracts with review after 1 year to extend to 3 years. I would review every year. Their potential should be obvious to coaches during first year. It is our job to ensure they are given every opportunity to make the grade. We will lose some through late development tho.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

Just my opinion but I would be giving first year pros 2 year contracts with review after 1 year to extend to 3 years. I would review every year. Their potential should be obvious to coaches during first year. It is our job to ensure they are given every opportunity to make the grade. We will lose some through late development tho.

Most clubs offer 2 year apprenticeships, mostly paid by government, this is covered by a two year contract to start. Thinking they come thru  youth system, then sign at age 17 after highers.  Anybody outside that system seem to sign a limited contract, like Anthony MacDonald.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, caleyboy said:

If he runs down his contract, neither Celtic or ICT would have any say in his future contract, so I dont see where any "sell on clause " would apply.

A sell on clause could stipulate, say, 10% of the transfer fee but with a minimum to be paid when the player moves on.  So, if 10% of the new transfer fee was less than the minimum, or if the player leaves for free at the end of their, contract then that minimum fee would be payable to us.  That way, we don't lose out as a result of contract negotiations that we have no part in.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

On similar lines, I was wondering whether it would be worth trying to sign our young prospects on longer contracts, 

Our stats show Daniel on a three year contract 01/07/2019 to 31/05/2022

Here's our Bio:

Daniel made his professional first team debut and scored his first professional goal against Peterhead on 7 October 2017 in the Scottish Challenge Cup. He scored his first league goal in a 3-1 away loss to Falkirk. MacKay is the youngest player and goalscorer in the club's history, at just 16 years and 174 days. 

He bagged his first hat-trick in a pre-season friendly vs Strathspey Thistle on 30 June 2018. Here's hoping he can continue that type of form into the season.

In season 2019/20 Daniel was loaned for the season to Elgin City to gain first team experience.

Daniel has returned from his loan spell at Elgin and started v Hearts in the Betfred League Cup game at Tynecastle and has since featured regularly scoring some crucial goals.

In April 2021 Daniel was voted Young player of the year by fans and players and also voted best goal of the season for his brilliant solo effort against Ross County in a 3-1 Scottish Cup win.

• Like 1

Allan Preston represents him, has been bigging him up on BBC sportsound and probably in a few central belt boardrooms.

Surprised Hearts aren't involved - after this year's love in they might get him for free! 😳

• tm4tj changed the title to Dan Mackay Easter road bound
  • tm4tj pinned this topic
  • tm4tj unpinned this topic