Glen Mhor Distillery

Hi all

I'm creating an online resource for Glen Mhor Distillery, which many of you will remember sat behind the old Telford ground and has been overlooked by the whisky writers for far too long.

I'm on the hunt for information, memories, photographs, tall tales etc. Leaving no stone unturned hence posting here. If anyone can help that'd be appreciated!

17 hours ago, GlenMhorDistillery said:

Hi all

I'm creating an online resource for Glen Mhor Distillery, which many of you will remember sat behind the old Telford ground and has been overlooked by the whisky writers for far too long.

I'm on the hunt for information, memories, photographs, tall tales etc. Leaving no stone unturned hence posting here. If anyone can help that'd be appreciated!

What a good read you have found a vast amount of information which i have had a quick look through but will need more time for a proper read.  Thanks for posting it here and I hope you uncover more local information. 

remember walking through it with my mum from Trafford Avenue to get to Frozen Foods when I was very young. Our next-door neighbour also worked there from what I can recall. 

On 5/21/2021 at 5:09 PM, Scotty said:

remember walking through it with my mum from Trafford Avenue to get to Frozen Foods when I was very young. Our next-door neighbour also worked there from what I can recall. 

I know there were a few cottages on site, must be a few ex-employees still out there!

8 hours ago, GlenMhorDistillery said:

I know there were a few cottages on site, must be a few ex-employees still out there!

My uncle Jimmy and family lived in one of the houses. Think its  a takeaway now but still standing. 

He still lives in Culloden 

On 5/24/2021 at 7:29 PM, old caley girl said:

My uncle Jimmy and family lived in one of the houses. Think its  a takeaway now but still standing. 

He still lives in Culloden 

Would he have any interesting tales? I've got family in Culloden as well.

• 4 months later...

Just wanted to add, I was going through the Guild Archives at the Highland Centre for Telford Street and they have the original plans and application for a new archway to the Caledonia stadium, probably 1920s? 

I'll try and get an image next time but was really cool to see. 

• Thank You 1

• 2 months later...

I can give you some names

Sandy Davidson (Engineer)

George "Darkie" Skinner (Cooperage)

Watty Philips

Cabers MacKenzie (lived in the house closest to Caley ground)

Tommy Beattie (Lived upsatirs from Cabers you could sit on the steps to their house and see the game or jump the garden wall!)

All of these apart from Darkie have sadly passed, Tommy only a few months ago.

The "Clearick" clear whisk, took a few also!

Darkie's wife has some photo's of the distillery, as does Tommy's family, as, like I mentioned, he lived in one of the "Distellery Houses".

Theres a few others I can picture their faces, but names escape me.

SMD (Scottish Malt Distillers) was the logo on their boiler suits and dungarees 

Always a game of Cat & Mouse being played between the Distillery boy's and the customs and excise 😁

I witnessed cases and cases being passed out the back of the Mash Room doors onto the Canal and Muirtown Basin and being put on a boat which took it further afield! 

You could write a book just about Cabers MacKenzie alone, he had a permenant wobble on 😂

Oh to own a few bottles of it now as it retails at 3 or 4 figures!

I believe Diago have items in storage which may be of use to you, but you would need to contact them.

There was plans drawn up to create a glass frontage at Glen Mhor as part of a tourist attraction, so you could see the processes as it was being created, this was in 82'. Then, very quickly,and sadly, the distilleries both closed in 83'.

• Like 2

On 1/10/2022 at 12:30 PM, Dave Shaw said:

Watty Philips

Tommy Beattie (Lived upsatirs from Cabers you could sit on the steps to their house and see the game or jump the garden wall!)

Darkie's wife has some photo's of the distillery, as does Tommy's family, as, like I mentioned, he lived in one of the "Distellery Houses".

Always a game of Cat & Mouse being played between the Distillery boy's and the customs and excise 😁

I witnessed cases and cases being passed out the back of the Mash Room doors onto the Canal and Muirtown Basin and being put on a boat which took it further afield! 

You could write a book just about Cabers MacKenzie alone, he had a permenant wobble on 😂

I believe Diago have items in storage which may be of use to you, but you would need to contact them.

There was plans drawn up to create a glass frontage at Glen Mhor as part of a tourist attraction, so you could see the processes as it was being created, this was in 82'. Then, very quickly,and sadly, the distilleries both closed in 83'.

I think a book about Cabers Mackenzie sounds good you should get writing before the stories go forever!

I wonder if our IHE could be related :wink:

• 5 months later...
On 1/10/2022 at 12:30 PM, Dalneigh72 said:

Watty Philips

Hi IBM

That sounds like a book worth writing!

Edited by GlenMhorDistillery

On 1/10/2022 at 12:30 PM, Dalneigh72 said:

Watty Philips

Hi Dalneigh72

Great information thanks, sorry for the delay - been busy with the site as you have no doubt seen - notifications now turned on! Any photographs would be appreciated, happy to cover costs etc. Great to put names to faces as well. The human element of these distilleries is often lost to time as are their wonderful stories. 

I might have an image of Sandy here, there's certainly some memories of him from a fellow employee, Rodney, on that page.

The 1982 frontage is a new fact for me, would be great to find out more.

Edited just now by GlenMhorDistillery

Edited by GlenMhorDistillery

Glen Mhor, you are doing very well with your research and your website is excellent with the updates.  I am looking forward to seeing more as you add more information which is great as if it is not recorded online for easy access or in a book it will be lost forever.

On 6/15/2022 at 11:42 PM, IBM said:

Glen Mhor, you are doing very well with your research and your website is excellent with the updates.  I am looking forward to seeing more as you add more information which is great as if it is not recorded online for easy access or in a book it will be lost forever.

Thanks, yes that's the concern. Memories are starting to fade and people passing. Good to remember and celebrate the past.

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...

A superb bit of footage showing just how much times have changed!  It would be interesting to know what proportion of the male population of the town was at the game.  This was just 2 of the Inverness sides playing each other, yet a similar proportion of the city's population today and we would need to have a stadium of probably 3 times the capacity of the current Caledonian Stadium.  The crowd was free to swarm onto the pitch after the game without any sense of risk to the players, lots of spectators were smoking and no doubt many a hip flask was being put to good use.  Most of the male supporters were wearing ties.  We will never have that kind of atmosphere in our current location. Some things don't change though - we still play hoof ball.

• 4 weeks later...