Malky Mackay

Robert

Following on from the discussion in the Robbo thread, I stress at the outset that I in no way condone racist or sexist comments, and if he had been banned from football it would have been justified. Similarly, I would not want someone with his baggage associated with our club.

It seems he has received a negative reception from some County fans, but on a brief extract of an interview on the BBC earlier he seemed contrite and accepted he had acted wrongly in the past, whilst asking people to judge him on his time since he made those comments.

I will be unpopular for saying this, but I think this appointment may actually work out well for County. He will have contacts given his football history which may assist him, whilst he has a decent track record overall. 

Edited by Robert

It's a shocking appointment from Ross County who only a few days ago were preaching their usual birthday card pish about wanting to discover they are and how they are a valued community club. Then they go and appoint a guy who sent racist, sexist and homophobic messages and tried to dismiss it as "friendly text message banter" before ultimately having to apologise "for any offence caused". What on earth is MacGregor thinking?

• Agree 2

2 hours ago, RiG said:

It's a shocking appointment from Ross County who only a few days ago were preaching their usual birthday card pish about wanting to discover they are and how they are a valued community club. Then they go and appoint a guy who sent racist, sexist and homophobic messages and tried to dismiss it as "friendly text message banter" before ultimately having to apologise "for any offence caused". What on earth is MacGregor thinking?

Totally agree. Glad to see a lot of County fans calling them out re this. 

The ones trying to justify it should be ashamed. 

• Agree 2

26 minutes ago, old caley girl said:

The rubbish about second chances doesn't exactly work either given he's had other jobs since then. It's an utterly tone deaf appointment. If ICT had done this there's no chance I would be attending any game with him as manager.

1 hour ago, old caley girl said:

I agree and credit to those County fans.

We all make mistakes and I have made some serious ones over the years and I agree that folk deserve a second chance.

However, MM was no callow youngster, who has now learned better, when he made those comments. He was a mature adult and knew what he was doing. Nor were they isolated off the cuff comments but a sustained series of disgraceful references.

We have people like him and also David Goodwillie, who a court has determined to be a rapist earning a living from football.

It is a matter for each club who they employ but I am pleased to think that ICT has higher standards than that.

Judging by the players who the press have said are being released, and doubtless more to follow , it looks like Uncle Roy will be putting his hand deep into his big pockets to bankroll Malkys new team...

...if the fans don't turn up with the torches and pitchforks to run him out of town in the next week or so.

Loving it.😁

• Like 1