League Cup draw

CaleyTennis

Its the league cup draw tomorrow (Friday) at around lunchtime so I thought I'd start a thread for discussing who you would like us to draw and also for discussing how we feel about the actual draw once its been drawn.

I assume it will still be drawn in 2 sections, North and South groups and I would imagine we will be in pot 2.

Aberdeen, St J, Hibs and the Old Firm won't be in the draw due to being in Europe so that limits who we could get.

These are the sides we have faced in recent years with ties against Raith Rovers and Cowdenbeath being a recurring feature it seems. Not sure what sides are in what half of the draw but hopefully a little variety at the very least would be good.

League Cup.PNG

ETA: The "North" Group 1 seeds are Livingston, Dundee United, Ross County and Hearts so we will get one of them. The other "North" Group 2 seeds, of which we are one, are Dundee, Raith Rovers, and Arbroath so we won't be drawn against any of those sides.

Edited by RiG
  • Agree 1

19 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

You keep a spreadsheet of group stage opponents?!

It took about 10 minutes to pull together whilst I was eating my Coco Pops.

• Agree 1

3 minutes ago, Jack Waddington said:

Have a feeling we might get put in with Kelty Hearts, dunno about the rest tho. Maybe Elgin, Forfar and Dundee

We can't get drawn with Dundee as they will be a Northern second seed as well (if what I have read is correct).

So positive to be looking forward to a new season when, all contuing to be well, we can actually watch the team rather than peering to follow the action on poor quality live streaming.

Even looking forward to my weak coffee and slightly burnt pie.

Here are our possible opponents:

One from the North 1st Seeds - Dundee United, Hearts, Livingston or Ross County
Three from the North Unseeded sides - Alloa, Brechin, Brora, Cove Rangers, Cowdenbeath, East Fife, Elgin City, Forfar Athletic, Kelty Hearts, Montrose, Peterhead or Stirling Albion.

Just now, RiG said:

Hearts and Cove Rangers drawn in the same group as us for 3 of the last 4 seasons. How incredibly boring.

On the bright side, in your spreadsheet you can just copy and paste.

• Funny 2

Underwhelming as we’ve had Peterhead before a few times too. At least Stirling is a team we’ve not played for some time. Hopefully we get them at home and we can get in to watch it.

We’ve not got past the group for years but hopefully can change that this time round. 

20 minutes ago, Robert said:

Underwhelming as we’ve had Peterhead before a few times too. At least Stirling is a team we’ve not played for some time. Hopefully we get them at home and we can get in to watch it.

We’ve not got past the group for years but hopefully can change that this time round. 

We've had Peterhead once before in this competition in the current format (2019/20). Cowdenbeath and Raith are the sides we have faced with alarming frequency.

The whole competition is garbage now and weighted heavily in favour of a top few sides in the Premiership. Between this and the way the Challenge Cup has been treated the SPFL have a lot to answer for with regards to the gradual decay of the cup competitions in this country.

• Agree 2

Last time we played Stirling i was honoured to witness the debut of Felitciano Zschusschen. Thought he looked a player. 

It seems that some folk can tell which games are where and when according to seeding - how do you do that then? Need a trip to Cove/Peterhead/Stirling to look forward to. 

2 hours ago, RiG said:

Hearts and Cove Rangers drawn in the same group as us for 3 of the last 4 seasons. How incredibly boring.

So much so that I half expected Israel to be drawn next.

• Funny 1

59 minutes ago, RiG said:

The general theme tends to have been the second and first second seed meet in the last game at the 1st seeds ground. No idea about the rest.

So trips to Tynie and 1 other. Hoping for Cove, although I hear the new ground is sh1t, it still needs ticked off the list.

Edited by Caley Stan
Forgot about the swear filter. FFS