Would Billy McKay still do a job for ICT?

SMEE

I see Billy McKay has NOT been offered a new contract thro in Dungwall. He is now 32. He had a strike rate of 1 goal in every 3 games for County. Would he be worth a punt in The Chamionship next season?

• Like 1

I think he would do a job for us though we need a good 10 to play behind him. I suspect he will be on the radar of other Championship clubs (maybe even some sides down in England) but if he is pretty settled up in this area maybe we could eek another year out of him before he heads south permanently.

7 minutes ago, RiG said:

I think he would do a job for us though we need a good 10 to play behind him. I suspect he will be on the radar of other Championship clubs (maybe even some sides down in England) but if he is pretty settled up in this area maybe we could eek another year out of him before he heads south permanently.

I agree but only within our current very limited wage structure.

25 minutes ago, Donald1973 said:

Gardyne released too, I'd take him if he was willing. Billy and Draper can fek off 

Very harsh words indeed. Ross Draper was a very good servant to our club over many years for whom many of us still have very fond memories.

• Agree 2

I agree. We should bring our youngsters through rather than looking at Gardyne.

It didn’t work when Mckay came back in our relegation season so I’d avoid him too.

As for Draper, I agree with Kingsmills. However, he didn’t have that much game time last season and we are well covered in central midfield with Welsh. Carson and Allardice all under contract. 

• Agree 1

Draper is 33 in October and a lot of County fans say he just hasn’t got the legs, and I don’t mean how bandy they are. 
Gardyne is already 35 and apart from County fans saying he’s done, it would be like County signing Tokely. Nope.
Billy might just do a season’s job to get us up, if we can’t hold on to Toddy but it’s a gamble and as Kingsmills said, he’d have to fit our wage structure.

Edited by TheMantis
  • Like 1

Gardyne: I'd get a sore throat booing him. And thrown out for repeated swearing at him. Can't stand the weasel. 

Drapes: No thanks. Nothing against him he did what he had to do. But we saw the best of him. 

Mckay: OK. He'd do a job in the Championship. If he didn't he could cut the grass and sweep the stands post match. 😀

We tried to get him in January, didn’t we? That was probably just a loan deal but it shows there is a belief in the club that he’d be good at this level, but as others have said, it’s all about the wages.

Think it's safe to say that both Gardyne and Vigurs are well past their best and are only going to decline further. Draper seems just too injury prone now. Mckay is an interesting one but I'm cautious about signing a striker who will be 33 in October and whose game is primarily based on pace and movement.

I could see us showing an interest in Callum Morris, who has done well at this level before. Jermaine Hylton would be an excellent signing as a wide player but I don't expect he would be interested.

• Like 1