Colts Teams

Robert

The Lowland League has voted by a majority to allow Rangers and Celtic to play their colt teams in the league next season.

Whilst there are mixed views on here about Colt teams playing in the Challenge Cup, this could be a precedent the Highland League follow, allowing us to field a team in the league, along with the lines of County, Elgin etc. It would help our youngsters to develop playing against seasoned campaigners rather than just youngsters.

Not a good idea in my view. As for the Lowland League decision to allow 'them' in the back door I find shocking and kick in the nads to it's member teams.

• Agree 1

On 5/29/2021 at 3:56 PM, Robert said:

The Lowland League has voted by a majority to allow Rangers and Celtic to play their colt teams in the league next season.

Whilst there are mixed views on here about Colt teams playing in the Challenge Cup, this could be a precedent the Highland League follow, allowing us to field a team in the league, along with the lines of County, Elgin etc. It would help our youngsters to develop playing against seasoned campaigners rather than just youngsters.

That's an exceptionally selfish attitude. You're essentially asking other leagues to dilute the competitiveness of them just so teams higher up the food training can use them as a training exercise. 

If you have young players you want to see getting game time play them or loan them out.

• Agree 1

5 hours ago, RiG said:

That's an exceptionally selfish attitude. You're essentially asking other leagues to dilute the competitiveness of them just so teams higher up the food training can use them as a training exercise. 

If you have young players you want to see getting game time play them or loan them out.

I didn’t actually say I was in favour of it. I just stated a fact, and noted that there was a mixed view on here when ICT were seeking to play a team in the Highland League a year or two back.

Edited by Robert

6 hours ago, Gringo said:

As for the Lowland League decision to allow 'them' in the back door I find shocking and kick in the nads to it's member teams.

The members voted by a majority to accept them. 

• Agree 1
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Robert said:

I didn’t actually say I was in favour of it. I just stated a fact, and noted that there was a mixed view on here when ICT were seeking to play a team in the Highland League a year or two back.

You didn't say you weren't in favour either, and by pointing out the benefits of the situation being applied to the highland league and the pluses for us County and Elgin it certainly seems as though you'd be receptive to the idea in the future.

No different from the self important attitude of the OF.

The fact that it has gained traction in the south at first is merely the thin end of the wedge.

• Confused 1

In the midst of all this, the Lowland League teams rejected Brechin, who’s preference was to join it rather than the Highland League:

http://www.hflhub.co.uk/index.php/2739-brechin-city-to-join-highland-league 

Given the location of Brechin, there is logic in them preferring the Lowland League as there would probably be less travel overall. Surely the league should have had a choice? What would have happened if the Highland League had taken the same stance?

After allowing the Old Firm Colts in, this paints a very poor impression of some Lowland League clubs. 

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

Brechin were obviously keen on the Lowland League, reportedly offering the other teams that they would purchase a minimum of 100 tickets for each away game (few of which would actually be used) and offering free admission to away fans at Glebe Park.

They have also now brought Craig Levein on board, are changing from a members club to a company, and I believe the family who own Mackie Motors amongst other things might be instrumental in all this. Pity they had to fall so far before sorting themselves out. Strange how they went into freefall as soon as they unexpectedly got promoted to the Championship under Darren Dods a few years ago.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
On 6/6/2021 at 8:58 AM, Robert said:

In the midst of all this, the Lowland League teams rejected Brechin, who’s preference was to join it rather than the Highland League:

http://www.hflhub.co.uk/index.php/2739-brechin-city-to-join-highland-league 

Given the location of Brechin, there is logic in them preferring the Lowland League as there would probably be less travel overall. Surely the league should have had a choice? What would have happened if the Highland League had taken the same stance?

After allowing the Old Firm Colts in, this paints a very poor impression of some Lowland League clubs. 

It was shown on another forum that the travel issue was negligible. It may even have been slightly in favour of the HL, I can’t remember. Their main complaint was that most of their players come from south of Brechin, not the distance to matches.

Edit - here’s some details

Mileage chart

Now the HL Gentleman’s Club has been dragged into the 21st century, it won’t take long for this travelling to decrease. Say Fort or Lossie are relegated and replaced by Banks o’Dee or Lochee Utd. Or both, or Vale replaced by Forfar WE.

In any case, I don’t believe the clubs voted on this at all. There’s a line across the centre of the Tay Bridge which marks the HL/LL boundary and afaik it’s the SFA that set this. There’s a strong argument that the line should be even further south as the HL area has the same number of clubs at tier 5 as the rest of the country although it only has about 15% of the population.

The colts decision stinks though and we can hope it is abandoned after a season, as we were continually assured…

Edited to add - apologies @Robert , there was a vote, but it was to Brechin’s proposal bribe their way into the LL. Not sure whether the SFA would have sanctioned such a move? 
Apparently the SPFL put pressure on the LL chairman, hinting of withdrawal of Challenge Cup places etc.
Nobody comes out of this with much credit.

Edited by TheMantis
  • Agree 1

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

The fact that Celtic Colts strolled to a 10-0 away win today demonstrates what an ill judged decision this was.

Not disagreeing with you, but Vale are the equivalent of Fort and the manager left during the week. They would already be gone if not for COVID.  Also Celtic have lost at Bonnyrigg and drawn at home to East Kilbride.
The other cheek beat Gretna 9-1 today but the Gretna keeper was sent off early on. They look more likely than Celtic atm but they have lost a game too, at home to Civil Service Strollers, whom I remember being sent packing by your very own Jaggies back in the day.

Edited by TheMantis