Billy Dodds is the new ICT Manager

SMEE

Happy with that. 

Safe appointment for both parties who know what each other is about.

Let's get behind him and look forward to 21/22 season. 

Start singing - Billy Dodds, Billy Dodds, Billy Billy Dodds, he gets the ball and he scores a goal, Billy Billy Dodds 😀

7 minutes ago, caleyboy said:

Good news. Now he can get on with beefing up the squad for next season. Good luck and welcome Billy.

Agreed but bringing Booby Mann back would be ambitious! 

Billy at least has had an induction into the Club and as Assistant at some good clubs should be a wise choice. However, football management is not easy and in the current climate the supporters will need to be patient.   

• Funny 1

This seems like a decent move especially because of his involvement towards the end of the season, which saw a much more confident and effective team switch from looking over their shoulders at a relegation battle to narrowly missing out on the play-offs

Just need to find a couple or three players now to turn us from play-off favourites to proper candidates for automatic promotion. It'll be interesting to see if Kilmarnock can recover quickly from the shock of relegation and whether Partick Thistle will do a Raith Rovers or better next season (and can Raith repeat their form for a 2nd season)

Just realised that most of our managers are ex international footballers. Baltacha, Robbo, Butcher, McCann and now Dodds, whilst Foran was an U21 international.  You’ve also got Brewster who many thought should have been capped, but was out of sight out of mind when at his peak in Greece, and later it was his play that got Stevie Crawford his caps when they were a partnership at Dunfermline.

I was not previously a big fan, quite the contrary.

However, he seemed to do a very good job when he joined Neil McCann and, had he arrived earlier I suspect that we would have made the play offs.

He has a good contact book, is well integrated and respected within the wider Scottish football industry and now has some knowledge of the club and how it works.

All in all a good appointment and shows some ambition on the part of the club. It will be interesting to see whether his assistant is new to the club or promoted from our existing coaching staff 

Whichever, time to get behind the new man and for everyone from the chairman down to us humble fans to concentrate on making the new season our best for over half a decade.

• Agree 1

He is Head Coach, not Manager.  It's usually the case that the Director of Football identifies and makes signings (and releases players), whilst the Head Coach is responsible for the day-to-day running of the team.  As we know, this often leads to tension, especially when the roles and responsibilities have not been clear-cut, or when one person wants to have more participation in the other's activities, or, simply, when the two people disagree.

So I hope that Robbo and Dodds can find a productive and interactive working relationship, and I look forward to seeing what happens next season.

• Agree 1

Happy with this. Like others, I was not necessarily a huge fan prior to him helping us out last season, but things took a turn for the better when he did come in and whether it was his impetus, the results of McCann's coaching starting to take effect, or some combination of the two, we finished the season a lot stronger than we had been the previous few months. Now its time for the real work to begin .....  

• Agree 1

32 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

He is Head Coach, not Manager.  It's usually the case that the Director of Football identifies and makes signings (and releases players), whilst the Head Coach is responsible for the day-to-day running of the team.  As we know, this often leads to tension, especially when the roles and responsibilities have not been clear-cut, or when one person wants to have more participation in the other's activities, or, simply, when the two people disagree.

So I hope that Robbo and Dodds can find a productive and interactive working relationship, and I look forward to seeing what happens next season.

I agree. This is not a structure we have had at the club before but it works well for other teams.

The important thing is that each party knows in advance what the role of the other is and respects those demarcation so that no tension and resentment arises from the perception, justified or otherwise, that one is intruding on the territory of the other.

Best to have these things crystal clear, in writing if necessary, from the outset.

Well, I'll just have to be the one to say I am disappointed at him getting the job. I don't believe he has the required skills, yet, and, for me, he's a poor analyst on TV.  Hope I am wrong and will support him but still think this is a risky appointment. 

• Disagree 1
  • Well Said 1

Positives - there was definitely an uptick in form when Dodds came on board towards the end of last season and the players poke highly of him during his time working with them. The club must have liked what they saw during his brief spell as a coach. At least it's more "progressive" than going for some of the donkeys on the list including some former managers that were being banded about.

Negatives - it seems like an appointment of convenience what with him living locally and being available for buttons and I just wonder how much that factors into our decision making at times. As a coach yes everything sounds good but as a manager I am less sure. 

He'll have a good bit of work to do in the transfer market over the summer and he only has a few weeks to get things ready before the League Cup group stages kick off. I guess Robbo will still largely handle player recruitment?

• Like 1

In happy with the appointment, which gives us some continuity. Hopefully he can build on the positive impact he seemed to have towards the end of the season.

It would be good to understand exactly what Robbo’s role as Sporting Director is, and how it relates to the Head Coach role as I’m sure I read they both report to the CEO.

Whoever is in charge of contracts and recruitment, hopefully we now get progress with the likes of Toddy. 

• tm4tj pinned this topic
13 minutes ago, lizi said:

Not happy with Dodds comment on TV about who’s off when he included Toddy and no announcements made officially.  Poor start for Dodds in my view. 

Not sure it is his fault that the club have not been sufficiently informative about player departures.

Didnt see the interview but if he is giving the fans information about something we didnt know then, on balance, I see that as a positive thing.

• tm4tj unpinned this topic