Euro 2020

Scotty

Think this needs a thread …

Watching the Italians do their stuff today against Turkey ... and happy to note that my cable TV subscription gives me all the right channels to watch every game 🙂 ..... looking forward to 9am Monday morning (my time) for our turn … 

• Like 1

I’m looking forward to Monday’s game, hoping for the best but fearing the worst!

The build up has been a bit muted with the pandemic, but there is some worrying optimism about how we will do, and some confidence we will get to the latter stages.

As four third placed teams qualify, that may well be possible and the key for us could be beating the Czech Republic on Monday. Three points may turn out to be enough to squeeze into one of the best third placed finishes, although it is more likely four points will be the threshold.

It would be great to see the Highland members of the squad do well and get us to the next stage.

Edited by Robert

Aye Robert I'm with you there - hope is indeed eternal, however, I don't think I can cope with a repeat of the three decades of glorious disappointment we endured in the 70s, 80s and 90s. I'll be happy whatever the outcome as long as we take 3 points away from Wemberley...

• Agree 2

I was watching the Denmark - Finland game when Christian Eriksen collapsed on the pitch. All the players were clearly distressed and the medical staff were trying to resuscitate him on the pitch.

I hope he pulls through but it is the most traumatic thing I have witnessed whilst watching a game, and it really puts things in context. There is much more to life than football.

That’s a relief as it looked really bad on the pitch. All the players were trying to give the medics privacy by blocking the view of the cameras and crowd.

I’m amazed they want to restart the game as they cannot be in the right place mentally.

It will either be a tremendous remaining 50 minutes or they will play out a 0-0 draw.

Either way, thank goodness Eriksen is awake and speaking.

The Denmark captain was immense. As the players surrounded Eriksen, he was the one facing him and he was then looking after the player’s wife. What a leader, taking the responsibility. According to the BBC, he was the first player on the scene and cleared Eriksen’s airway as the medical staff rushed to the scene. He quite possibly saved his life.

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 1

On 6/12/2021 at 7:15 PM, Robert said:

The Denmark captain was immense. As the players surrounded Eriksen, he was the one facing him and he was then looking after the player’s wife. What a leader, taking the responsibility. According to the BBC, he was the first player on the scene and cleared Eriksen’s airway as the medical staff rushed to the scene. He quite possibly saved his life.

Absolutely Robert, Simon Kjaer's quick action could very well have made the crucial difference in the successful resuscitation attempt. Quite amazing how he kept his head and handled what was happening around him. I couldn't believe they agreed to complete the game on the night, astonishing decision in my mind, but would the Danes have been in any better shape the next day? Perhaps not. 

Anyway, from a footballing perspective, the match stats really highlighted that it doesn't matter how much possession and attempts at goal you have, the only thing that counts is putting the ball in the net. A cruel night for Denmark all round.

• Agree 1

On 6/12/2021 at 5:28 PM, CaleyCanary said:

Aye Robert I'm with you there - hope is indeed eternal, however, I don't think I can cope with a repeat of the three decades of glorious disappointment we endured in the 70s, 80s and 90s. I'll be happy whatever the outcome as long as we take 3 points away from Wemberley...

Not losing against England and getting out of the group stage would represent success for me and would leave me highly contented.

When it comes to Scotland, it’s the hope that kills you. Younger fans need to be psychologically prepared for crushing disappointment, missed opportunities and failure. If you go in expecting all that then it’s slightly easier to cope when it inevitably happens.

I’d imagine that getting past the group stages would bring great feelings of joy and elation but that is mere speculation on my part as nobody has ever actually experienced it.

On 6/12/2021 at 6:10 PM, Robert said:

I was watching the Denmark - Finland game when Christian Eriksen collapsed on the pitch. All the players were clearly distressed and the medical staff were trying to resuscitate him on the pitch.

I hope he pulls through but it is the most traumatic thing I have witnessed whilst watching a game, and it really puts things in context. There is much more to life than football.

It is great news that the player survived and is now recovering in hospital.

However, that outcome was very far from certain at the time and I have to say that I was appalled by the disgustingly voyarastic approach taken by whoever was directing the TV coverage.

Once it became apparent just how serious the situation was there should have been no close up or zoomed in shots at the efforts to perform CPR, his distressed colleagues and teammates and, most particularly, his clearly and understandably distraught partner.

• Well Said 1

4 hours ago, Yngwie said:

When it comes to Scotland, it’s the hope that kills you. Younger fans need to be psychologically prepared for crushing disappointment, missed opportunities and failure. If you go in expecting all that then it’s slightly easier to cope when it inevitably happens.

I’d imagine that getting past the group stages would bring great feelings of joy and elation but that is mere speculation on my part as nobody has ever actually experienced it.

After a pretty decent first 40 minutes, our tournament jinx looks like it’s kicked in again.

What a finish for that second goal though, but typical Scotland unfortunately. 

• Agree 1

29 minutes ago, Robert said:

After a pretty decent first 40 minutes, our tournament jinx looks like it’s kicked in again.

What a finish for that second goal though, but typical Scotland unfortunately. 

Over two decades to wait to witness Scotland in a major tournament once again but just over forty minutes for that all too familiar feeling to re-emerge.

There was not much between the teams but they scored and we didn’t.

We were sloppy with the ball too often, but created a number of decent chances. We hit the bar and their ‘keeper had some decent saves, but the result is all that matters in tournaments.

The first goal was a good finish but we should have been quicker to challenge and stop the cross. The second was a bit of a freak but self inflicted as our shot rebounding created the issue.

After that, we’d plenty possession but never looked like turning it round.

On to Wembley where we need to avoid defeat or our last game will be meaningless.

Typical Scotland!

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 1

1 minute ago, Robert said:

The second was a bit of a freak but self inflicted as the shot rebounding created the issue.

Brilliant finish actually but instead of making the obvious pass out to the right flank to create a chance, Hendry, 30 yards out and with no sight of goal, decides to blast it off the defender who is right in front of him. Game over.

Well those of you under 30 will now know what your parents and grandparents had to endure for 3 decades - was amazed at how quickly all those disappointing moments flooded back into mind, a most unwelcome afternoon of deja-vu!

Thought we played well in parts, but the finishing wasn't there. Came close multiple times, hit the bar, their keeper made some crucial touches, we got in each other's way at times .... all very frustrating and all very "Scotland at a tournament"!  I had hoped we would defend well and strongly, like the Finns did in the game against Denmark (before the incident), or like North Macedonia did for much of their game but didnt think that was the case. However, there have been a few heavy defeats so far in this first round of games, so losing 0-2 is not the end of the world given that 4 x 3rd place teams go through ... but taking something from Croatia or England becomes almost required and to be frank, after watching the two of themm play yesterday, I think both might wipe the floor with us ....  This was our best shot, and we blew it. Hope the lads prove me wrong! 

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Okay, prepared now to settle for not losing to England!

Fear not Kingsmills, a win against them might be enough to fulfil your original criteria!

As long as we can avoid making silly mistakes at the back I think this afternoon has shown that we can create the chances. A wee bit more composure in front of goal when they come with a wee bit more luck and we may very well do it - I can sense the 70s and 80s feelings of forlorn optimism creeping back in again 😀

• Funny 1

48 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Come on Scotland. England are, with every justification, firm favourites but we perform best as underdogs.

We can do this 🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

I really hope we can get a win or even a draw. It’s going to be a tough watch, I fear.

I had hoped the Czechs would win this afternoon, but it remains within our own control, particularly if we can get something tonight.

Come on Scotland!!

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic