Euro 2020

Scotty

I was dreading the game but really enjoyed it. What a performance by our underdogs.

We matched the English multimillionaires across the park and could have won it, but I will take that point.

We can dream about beating Croatia on Tuesday and getting to the last 16.

Well done to all the players.

On 6/14/2021 at 10:47 AM, Kingsmills said:

Not losing against England and getting out of the group stage would represent success for me and would leave me highly contented.

Just need to beat the World Cup finalists to make Kingsmills a highly contented man.

• Agree 1

makes life - or at least the math - simple. Beat Croatia and we should be in the next round. Get to the next round and every one of the squad makes history as we have never done that before ... and we would have done it at Hampden ..... should be enough of an incentive for any player.

Good performance from the lads. gritty and determined and sometimes pretty ... but solid for the full 90. More of the same please. 

Edit : putting this here with the permutations.  
https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/news/026a-1286c3028f34-c072d2f81d9b-1000--who-needs-what-to-go-through/

Scotland must win to finish at least third, and can still overtake England for second place on overall goal difference.

• Agree 1

5 minutes ago, Satan said:

Billy Gilmour, he's only 20...

What a player. He gives us hope for the future. We’ve quite a young squad who will learn from this experience and hopefully get us to more finals. 23 years has been a long time. Hopefully this becomes a regular event again.

We also need to credit Steve Clarke. That was a brave selection, with Gilmour starting, two strikers and McTominay at the back, but it worked.

I’ve lived through the pain of the disappointments at major finals with Scotland. I really hope Tuesday is different and we win the game.

Come on Scotland!!

Edited by Robert

21 hours ago, Robert said:

We also need to credit Steve Clarke. That was a brave selection, with Gilmour starting, two strikers and McTominay at the back, but it worked.

Absolutely - I wasn't looking forward to this until I saw the team selections, superb job all round!

So here we go again for the third and deciding match, just like '74 and '78 - the forlorn optimism is now dialled up to restored peak levels. Same again please with the added Archie Gemmill spirit and magic finish 👍

1 hour ago, CaleyCanary said:

So here we go again for the third and deciding match, just like '74 and '78 - the forlorn optimism is now dialled up to restored peak levels. Same again please with the added Archie Gemmill spirit and magic finish 👍

But with a better ending where we actually qualify for the latter stages!

I think it was world cups 1974, 82, 86, 90 and 98 where winning the final group match guaranteed qualification but we didn’t win any of them. Expectations were highest v Morocco and that ended 0-3.

On the plus side, we ALWAYS win our last group match at the Euros!

Unbelievable, just when things are looking up, Billy Gilmour tests positive for Covid and has to isolate for 10 days, and who knows how many others in the squad were close contacts who will also be unavailable.

At least they aren’t based in Scotland, where this would have automatically meant the whole squad isolating for 10 days, which is why the Czech and Croatian squads cancelled their training bases here very late on.

40 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

Unbelievable, just when things are looking up, Billy Gilmour tests positive for Covid and has to isolate for 10 days, and who knows how many others in the squad were close contacts who will also be unavailable.

Judging from Friday's performance, the person he is most likely to have passed it onto is Mason Mount!  But terribly bad luck for the young man who must have been relishing the prospect of playing against Modric and co.  Let's hope nobody else tests positive and Scotland can make it through to the last 16.

Billy Gilmour out of the Coatia game after a positive Covid test.

I wonder how many of his fellow squad members are close contacts and may have to follow suit ?

Could be an enormous blow to our, already quite slender, hopes of qualifying for the knockout stage.

1 hour ago, Satan said:

Makes a change from Willie Johnston and the 'banned stimulant' scandal...

Couldn't make it up...and currently NO close contacts identified...

Believe it?

Find it hard to believe right enough! The Willie Johnston affair prompted me to write my only letter to a newspaper editor. I told the Daily Express I'd never read their rag again and I never have.

Feel gutted for young Billy. He must have been so up for the Croatia game, I don't think they'd have been able to handle him. 

On 6/18/2021 at 10:05 PM, Scotty said:

makes life - or at least the math - simple. Beat Croatia and we should be in the next round. Get to the next round and every one of the squad makes history as we have never done that before ... and we would have done it at Hampden ..... should be enough of an incentive for any player.

Good performance from the lads. gritty and determined and sometimes pretty ... but solid for the full 90. More of the same please. 

Edit : putting this here with the permutations.  
https://www.uefa.com/uefaeuro-2020/news/026a-1286c3028f34-c072d2f81d9b-1000--who-needs-what-to-go-through/

You have clearly been in North America far too long.

We have many more than a single 'math' here. 

You will be opining on who to play in offense and defense in the forthcoming soccer game.next 🇨🇦😁

Edited by Kingsmills

While its simple arithmetic if you prefer ... Scotland usually do find a way to make it more of a calculus type question and throw in some geometry and trigonometry for good measure just so we can be sure to find new ways to not qualify. Looking at the tables and the potential 3rd place finishers  ....  we need to beat Croatia, anything else and there is no scenario where we qualify.

Even if we do beat Croatia, there are a few ways it can go pear-shaped for us .... Switzerland are likely in after yesterday (4pts). I guess we will know groups B & C by later today and if results go our way and the 3rd place team finish no better than 3 points then hopefully that might simplify things to "win and in" for us as we can reach 4 points !  

2 hours ago, CaleyCanary said:

Find it hard to believe right enough! The Willie Johnston affair prompted me to write my only letter to a newspaper editor. I told the Daily Express I'd never read their rag again and I never have.

Feel gutted for young Billy. He must have been so up for the Croatia game, I don't think they'd have been able to handle him. 

I'll trust Clarke to make a good decision again - if we'd been hammered by England with a 20 year old bench warmer from Chelsea making his starting debut then I'm sure the conversations would have a very different sentiment in them.

Although a few of the team had below par games against the Czechs, the fact they bossed the Croats for 45 minutes shows how well we did to make the chances we did...although we had the same problem against the Sassenachs - getting the ball in the net.

Edited by Satan

5 hours ago, Yngwie said:

England players now mightily relieved that they didn’t get within 2 metres of Gilmour!

Mount and Chigwell are self isolating as a precaution as they were seen hugging and congratulating Gilmour at full time. I really hope we don’t lose other players for tomorrow’s game, but find it hard to believe there are no close contacts in the squad.

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic