Euro 2020

Scotty

2 hours ago, Scotty said:

While its simple arithmetic if you prefer ... Scotland usually do find a way to make it more of a calculus type question and throw in some geometry and trigonometry for good measure just so we can be sure to find new ways to not qualify. Looking at the tables and the potential 3rd place finishers  ....  we need to beat Croatia, anything else and there is no scenario where we qualify.

Even if we do beat Croatia, there are a few ways it can go pear-shaped for us .... Switzerland are likely in after yesterday (4pts). I guess we will know groups B & C by later today and if results go our way and the 3rd place team finish no better than 3 points then hopefully that might simplify things to "win and in" for us as we can reach 4 points !  

The arithmetic is getting easier. As things stand, a 2-0 win will see us having a better goal difference than Switzerland and being a point ahead of Ukraine, so we will be one of the four best third placed teams.

If either Finland or Russia lose tonight, the third placed team in their group will have three points, so we will just need to win, and won’t need to worry about goal difference.

Thag makes it sound easy, but we are Scotland……

As always, I will be watching in hope rather than expectation.

Come on Scotland!!

Edited by Robert

1 hour ago, Robert said:

Mount and Chigwell are self isolating as a precaution as they were seen hugging and congratulating Gilmour at full time. I really hope we don’t lose other players for tomorrow’s game, but find it hard to believe there are no close contacts in the squad.

For once we do hope he is Billy 'NoMates' ! 

• Agree 1

Whilst tonight’s games are not quite finished, tomorrow’s task is now clear: win and we qualify, draw or lose and we are out.

I am delighted Denmark managed to get to second in their group after the trauma of their first game. 

• Like 1

Yes, Happy to see Denmark progress after all that trauma and the circumstance of their losses ... and happy its completely in our hands now. "Win and In"

image.png

Entirely in our hands and we are also entirely capable, on our day, of beating Croatia at Hampden.

Personally, I have got used to group stage disappointments from 1974 onwards, some older posters may even be able to add 1954 and 1958.

The hoodu has to be broken sometime and what better time than this evening in front of a restricted but passionate home crowd.

On 6/14/2021 at 10:57 AM, Yngwie said:

When it comes to Scotland, it’s the hope that kills you. Younger fans need to be psychologically prepared for crushing disappointment, missed opportunities and failure. If you go in expecting all that then it’s slightly easier to cope when it inevitably happens.

Same old, same old, but still painful.
Saved our poorest performance til last, unfortunately, and just weren’t in it in the second half against a side who were ultimately a class above. Really poor finishing from us throughout this tournament, just when I thought we had created a team with goals in it.

Disappointed, but we have hope for the future. After our good start, Croatia outclassed us and the score could have been a lot worse.

I was resigned to it before kick off, and it was better to know long before the end that we were going out rather than going out by losing a late goal.

Croatia were written off, but they could go far in the tournament.

It is the Czech game that did for us, and our inability to score in what was otherwise an even game. 

22 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

Personally, I have got used to group stage disappointments from 1974 onwards, some older posters may even be able to add 1954 and 1958.

Same for me, I had already prepared myself for a repeat of past disappointments so this time wasn't so disappointed.  

Always thought the key to getting through would be beating the Czech Republic in the opening game, I fully expected to get at least a point at Wembley and thought our toughest task would be Croatia. They finally found their gears against us and showed why they were World Cup finalists. Of course our poorest performance of the tournament helped them with that.

Anyway, onwards and upwards, the experience will have done the squad a power of good and I'm more excited about the forthcoming World Cup campaign than I have been since the '80s.

• Agree 1

It's not about the falling down, but about how you get back up & become stronger for it...or something along those lines.

Signs of talent coming through and a learning experience should help us get better from here on in.

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

• Agree 1

The signs were there at half time despite the euphoria of our late goal. I think Clarke has taken us forward, but he doesn't seem to be able to react when changes need to be made. They were ripping us apart in midfield after they sussed us out after about 15 minutes. A blind man could see that Modric was given too much freedom. I think Armstrong needed to go off at ht. Also they must have identified O'Donnell as a weakness down our right. He can defend but hasn't much idea in possession. I've even seen calls for Roooooney! But Patterson looks a great prospect for the future. And we do have our best crop of young players for many a year.

From a selfish/ICT point of view, Ryan Christie's career has probably taken a step backward with the decision to start him against Chechia. As a result of a poor first half, and being replaced by Adams, who probably should have started anyway, Ryan only gets 45 mins out of the 270, whereas if he'd been used as a sub, he might have had a decent 25 minutes, missed out to Gilmour against England, then possibly got back in last night. I hope he gets his move to the Premiership based on what he's done over the long term.

Just the typical experience of being a Scotland fan. Something happens to give you fleeting hope, the Archie Gemmil goal against the superb Netherlands side in 1978 probably being the prime example, and the crushing reality then returns.

It was amazing to see how Modric changed his position as the game went on, from being more advanced in the first to slightly back in the second halves. This game management basically won the game for them , as he was sitting outside the danger zone in the second while we chased his mates he sat in 10-15 yards of space waiting for the ball getting laid back to him. By the time the ball went to his feet for his goal he was so comfortable in his space he strolled up to the ball and just faded it into the net...lovely goal, but so simple.

He used a lot of energy in the first half to get on top of our midfield , and nobody could get close to him ( when he had the ball).

From our viewpoint I didnt see much,if any,  of the passing that kept England at bay in the previous game, which can't just be down to Gilmours absence.

Of the top 50 nations in the Fifa World rankings we probably carry the least threat up front.

This is a decent squad, perhaps the best in some time, and relatively young.

However, unless and until we can somehow find one, and preferably two, international class forwards we won't be making much progress if any.

• Agree 2

Ah, but if Ollie McBurnie hadn’t been injured…. 😄

The current English/Australian partnership looked like it had potential and I still think Adams could be the highest quality striker we’ve had for many a year, although that might not be saying much. Dykes is the type of forward who “does a job” but that job will never involve scoring many goals at international level, certainly not against the calibre of team we will have to beat to improve from where we are.

It probably wouldn't have made a difference but questions need to be asked about whether there was a breach of protocol that resulted in our most creative player catching Covid and thus missing such a vital match.

Not to direct blame at a 20 year old lad but to establish what seems to have gone wrong behind the scenes and why.

Yes, it seems very strange that Mount and Chilwell are having to isolate for 10 days and none of our players are. There was a comment about them having contact with Gilmour in the tunnel.

With the rapidly increasing case numbers we are seeing in Scotland (almost 3000 yesterday and 50 in the Highland Council area, the highest for a long time), it would help if there was transparency on issues like this as so many are just doing their own thing now and not following the rules and guidance. It is little wonder given the exemptions being made for test events which no one really understands.

It does make me wonder if the 9 August date is optimistic and will need to be delayed. 

Edited by Robert

5 hours ago, Satan said:

It's not about the falling down, but about how you get back up & become stronger for it...or something along those lines.

Signs of talent coming through and a learning experience should help us get better from here on in.

🏴󠁧󠁢󠁳󠁣󠁴󠁿

image.thumb.png.08dcf1e36a03f48473a49094a54f3ec2.png

• 2 weeks later...

Congratulations to Denmark, population broadly similar to Scotland, on reaching the semi finals without their best player having previously won the tournament in 1992.

Scotland, population broadly similar to Denmark, by contrast have never emerged from the group stage either in this competition or the World Cup in almost seven decades of trying.

Clearly we are doing something wrong and have been for a very long time.

I see the hype is getting to breaking point about “it coming home”!

I fancy Italy based on what I’ve seen of the tournament, but adopted Denmark as my second team after Scotland following the situation with Eriksen, so I’m hoping for an Italy - Denmark final.

The thought of watching the BBC if England win the tournament fills me with dread and, at risk of mixing this with the serious discussion board, will only increase support for independence!

Edited by Robert

I have never really been in the Anyone But England camp but, given what has happened to them this tournament, I will be rooting for Denmark tomorrow.

As far as the final is concerned, if Denmark qualify, I will be rooting for them whoerver the opponent.

If England reach the final I would probably support them over Spain but would back Italy if the Azzuri were their opponents.

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

I have never really been in the Anyone But England camp but, given what has happened to them this tournament, I will be rooting for Denmark tomorrow.  As far as the final is concerned, if Denmark qualify, I will be rooting for them whoerver the opponent. If England reach the final I would probably support them over Spain but would back Italy if the Azzuri were their opponents.

For me its not the players, or the fans (well not most of them anyway), its the commentators who do my head in. I was watching them romp home in the last match and should have taken a drink every time 1966 was mentioned .... I'd have been plastered before 15 minutes was up! They were so condescending about the opponent and so full of themselves it was annoying to watch. 

I am rooting for Denmark tomorrow simply because of all the adversity they have endured through the start of this tournament. it has echoes of 1992 when they last won it .. coming in as a late and unprepared replacement for Yugoslavia when that region descended into civil war. 

If Denmark win tomorrow then I am Denmark for the final. If England, then I really don't care. I like watching the Italians and the Spanish play - when they play well - but I have no pony in the race for that one .... 

I agree Scotty, it’s Lineker and his pals that wind me up. It used to be John Motson 

What a game tonight between Italy and Spain. Sheer class by both teams and you couldn’t grudge either winning.

Spain will feel they did enough to win, but Italy will take some beating!

• Scotty unfeatured and unpinned this topic