what have Hereford got?

simon wright

morning folks - I'm Simon editor of Talking Bull, the 32 year old Hereford FC fanzine.   Hereford FC (part time - train 2 mornings a week) have signed both Storey and Vincent.   yes I can read the bare stats for both but what are we actually getting.?  Is Storey more of a goal maker?  Is Vincent injured a lot?  What sort of people are they?  

I do wonder whether this is the start of a link. I was at the Cup Final v Hampden when Lionel Aiinsworth stood out. He's ex Hereford. 

I am staying in there Highlands later this month and I am determined to take in a Caley Cup game. 

Anyway enough of me. I would welcome any insight for sharing with Talking Bull readers. 

Both players had 2 spells at the club but have changed roles/positions on their return so I will only make comment on their most recent season with us.

Both are players who I would have been happy to see stay but also not that fussed they are gone. Both squad players for us.

Storey started more games last season but while dangerous due to his pace and strength often makes the wrong decisions whilst attacking. I think in Scotland, players have worked out how to play against him and his is often ineffective. Perhaps a new league will suit him and he can catch defenders off guard with his tricks/pace. 

Vincent, played less due to injuries and form. He is an organiser and talker. He will try to break up play and will keep the ball. Doesn't offer much going forward. Solid, no frills player

• Like 1

Both ought to do well in a part time context. 
Storey has pace but not a huge amount else. Several years ago he scored a few goals over the course of a few weeks and has been living off that ever since.

Vincent is a better all round footballer and has played a number of midfield positions with us, but has been living off the cup winning goal he scored from a tremendous run up the pitch from emergency right back. 

• Like 1

I agree with the comments above.

A lot of fans were happy to see Storey return, as he did well in his first spell here, on loan from Swindon. He moved to Aberdeen but failed to get established and returned here after a spell at Partick.

Most if his career goals have been in his spells with us, but he really should have scored more in the last two seasons given his game time.

His pace is his main asset, but his delivery is hit and miss, as is his finishing.

Vincent has missed game time with injuries, but is a solid midfield player, one that hassles opposition players. He is also vocal on the pitch in encouraging team mates.

He will always be remembered here for the cup winning goal. He moved on to Dundee, then Dunfermline before his second spell here. I think he was a squad player with both mainly.

If he can stay fit, he could be the more important of the two to you. 

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, simon wright said:

morning folks - I'm Simon editor of Talking Bull, the 32 year old Hereford FC fanzine.   Hereford FC (part time - train 2 mornings a week) have signed both Storey and Vincent.   yes I can read the bare stats for both but what are we actually getting.?  Is Storey more of a goal maker?  Is Vincent injured a lot?  What sort of people are they?  

I do wonder whether this is the start of a link. I was at the Cup Final v Hampden when Lionel Aiinsworth stood out. He's ex Hereford. 

I am staying in there Highlands later this month and I am determined to take in a Caley Cup game. 

Anyway enough of me. I would welcome any insight for sharing with Talking Bull readers. 

Sorry Not Lionel Ainsworth it was Marley Watkins.  Hereford United had the two wide players at the same time and I got them mixed up. 

7 minutes ago, simon wright said:

Come across Salary Sport which lists weekly wages for each Caley player last season.  It all looks very detailed. Is this genuine? wage bill of £15,776 per week? 

Sound about right. Would have been more than twice that three or four years ago.

4 hours ago, simon wright said:

Sorry Not Lionel Ainsworth it was Marley Watkins.  Hereford United had the two wide players at the same time and I got them mixed up. 

Watkins did very well for us once he got established. Probably a better version of Storey!

• Like 1

This is the link referred to earlier in the thread:

https://salarysport.com/football/scottish-championship/inverness-caledonian-thistle/ 

If accurate, some surprises in it. Brad Mckay was our highest earner followed by James Keatings. Sean Welsh is quite far down the list, and little wonder Toddy was lured away. Presumably Carson and Allardice have increases in their new contracts.

What it presumably doesn’t include is any bonuses for wins, appearances etc.

For comparison, this is what Hearts were paying: they were paying 21 players more than our highest earner and over £4000 per week to some: staggering!

https://salarysport.com/football/scottish-championship/heart-of-midlothian/

Goodness knows if there is any substance to the figures quoted. 

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

Given that the players salaries aren't exactly public knowledge (unless the players are informing the website) I would take it with a very large pinch of salt. Brad Mckay negotiated a new deal a year or two ago when we were in the Championship so the likelihood of us playing close to £1,000 a week for him in the second tier are virtually remote. 

Wouldn't be surprised if these are just salaries from Football Manager...

• Agree 2

Another player we have in common with Hereford is Eric Odhiambo. After leaving us for Denizlispor (how did that happen?!) he went to Hereford before rapidly dropping down the leagues to the likes of Kidlington and North Leigh. Still only 32

• Like 1

Storey’s always been a headless chicken IMO. During his first spell the young team sang about his magic hat. If it existed at all, he must have dropped it somewhere along the A96 when he moved to the Dons. 

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

10 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

Storey’s always been a headless chicken IMO. During his first spell the young team sang about his magic hat. If it existed at all, he must have dropped it somewhere along the A96 when he moved to the Dons. 

A big benefit for Storey in his first spell was his link up with Christie. We know he (Storey) has pace so playing him on the shoulder of the last defender with Christie playing slide rule passes through to him was a great setup. Take that creativity away and stick Storey wide right and you have the headless chicken we have become more familiar with over the last couple of seasons.

He's had a couple of nice finishes during his second spell but I think overall it's been a little disappointing. However, one thing we saw more when he played on the flanks, was a pretty good work rate. I seem to recall a game against Ayr United where he was up and down the right side trying to attack but also getting back to help defend as well (typically when Rooney went on a rampage forward). He certainly didn't seem to be afraid of getting stuck in when required.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Yngwie said:

Another player we have in common with Hereford is Eric Odhiambo. After leaving us for Denizlispor (how did that happen?!) he went to Hereford before rapidly dropping down the leagues to the likes of Kidlington and North Leigh. Still only 32

Dan Stratford was another! 

On 7/2/2021 at 9:08 AM, Yngwie said:

really? Seen Odhiambo play against Hereford a couple of times but I don't remember him as a Bulls player

1 hour ago, simon wright said:

really? Seen Odhiambo play against Hereford a couple of times but I don't remember him as a Bulls player

According to Wikipedia, he made 7 appearances in 2013/14, and scored his only goal against Dartford, then left in the January transfer window for Sligo Rovers in Ireland