Pop Up Ads

RiG

On 1/11/2022 at 7:17 PM, snorbens_caleyman said:

I have recently been getting adverts for silk pyjamas for ladies  :amazed:

Yes and there’s another photo of something else that should not be there🙈

I'd like to note that I wasn't having a pop at anyone nor having a go, simply stating my thoughts on the ads. Personally I don't think the balance is correct and some of the ads are questionable.

I'm not here to close ads down and report back to Google why I don't want to see them, I'm here to look at and contribute to the site.

I completely understand the need for adverts in order to cover overheads, pay for costs, etc however you asked for people's feedback which is what I gave. The pop up ads in the foot of each page appear every time I open a new page when I'm using my laptop or desktop pc, when I'm using my mobile it's not nearly as bad so there must be a different set up somewhere.

I'm no technical wizard so don't know the ins and outs but why the big difference when using different devices.

I have no problem with the PC but get more on my iPhone which isn’t a bother apart from the picture I thought shouldn’t have been there. After sending it to Scotty he pointed out that it was a hairnet 🤣🤣🤣

0536FA13-ABCF-4ADD-8DA9-5050A4041937.jpeg

• Funny 2

... and these are all contextual based on browsing habits ... so just what are you looking for on AliBaba ? 

seriously though - I am working on a site upgrade soon. I hope to make only minor tweaks although I am looking at whether or not to change the theme design a bit more radically ... placement of ads will be a part of that. I need to maximise revenue - as previously stated - but I do have an eye on doing that in a fashion that doesn't flood everyone with ads ....

image.png

This is the latest one, can I just say I'm bald and have never searched for hair transplants so I reckon Caleyjag is playing some sort of trick on me or leaving some subtle hints 🤣 or @Scotty is getting me back for my comments haha

7 hours ago, Scotty said:

... and these are all contextual based on browsing habits ... so just what are you looking for on AliBaba ? 

seriously though - I am working on a site upgrade soon. I hope to make only minor tweaks although I am looking at whether or not to change the theme design a bit more radically ... placement of ads will be a part of that. I need to maximise revenue - as previously stated - but I do have an eye on doing that in a fashion that doesn't flood everyone with ads ....

@Scotty I think I speak for everyone when I say that you do a grand job and must take some sort of self-satisfaction and pride in running the site, I don't fully understand the background work but have a great deal of appreciation as to how difficult it must be so 👏

• Well Said 2

Being in Canada I get different ads to almost everyone else. Today its adverts for the Bay (think Arnotts) and also antivirus stuff .... as well as the new Nissan Ariya even though I wouldnt buy a  Nissan and recent car searches (for the missus) have been for the KIA EV6 and Subaru Forester to replace our dead Sportage.  

Think this is my favourite of the day for some reason though: 

image.png

Great advert Scotty, I've watched it 47 times now.

The Google stuff seems to be working well and tells no lies. My boiler has been playing up and I have been searching for parts. Today I have an advert for new boilers.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

When I go into a forum for the first time in any session I’m getting a full page ad. When I press x to exit the advert it takes me to the post I had clicked on.

The most frequent advert is for Benidorm holidays. Very spooky as friends have just returned from there. Big brother is listening as well as watching!!

Only a minor inconvenience, but not sure if it’s something I’ve done or whether it is happening to others too. 

they enabled them for 50% of users 50% of the time as a test. Our ad revenue increased over the days they were enabled by 105%. I have disabled them for now. I think. 

3 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

TBH, I didn't regard them as a problem, and if they double the ad revenue, then I'd be happy for you to stick with them.

Just my experience and opinion, though.

I agree. I only mentioned it in case it was something I had inadvertently done. They were only a minor inconvenience so no concerns from me if they are reinstated. 

• Like 1

I will review in the off-season. Its all about getting enough revenue to keep the site ticking over but not making it too annoying for users. The Vignette ads for some reason perform better than any other type of ads, not sure why. 

• Thank You 1