2021/22 SPFL Trust Trophy

Bin colts and the non Scottish teams and bring in more Highland / Lowland League sides.

Actually, just sack the whole competition. The SPFL have completely ruined it over the last few seasons.

• Agree 4

Nice to get a home draw!

We had a knack of scoring well against Brechin when they were in the Championship in our first season after relegation, but I’d prefer a game against Buckie.

I agree it is time to bin the colt teams and expand the involvement of Highland and Lowland League teams. I’d not extend it to juniors, as I think that was the wrong decision in terms of the Scottish Cup. 

Edited by Robert

1 hour ago, Robert said:

Nice to get a home draw!

We had a knack of scoring well against Brechin when they were in the Championship in our first season after relegation, but I’d prefer a game against Buckie.

I agree it is time to bin the colt teams and expand the involvement of Highland and Lowland League teams. I’d not extend it to juniors, as I think that was the wrong decision in terms of the Scottish Cup. 

Given the Juniors are almost extinct and there’s no decent teams left I’d agree. 

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

Given the Juniors are almost extinct and there’s no decent teams left I’d agree. 

11 hours ago, Robert said:

I’d not extend it to juniors, as I think that was the wrong decision in terms of the Scottish Cup. 

Oh I think it was a great idea, as it let the Juniors see the world outside their parochial wee enclave and led to the setting up of a proper pyramid. As ICT Paisley says, the Juniors are nearly extinct anyway.

18 hours ago, RiG said:

Bin colts and the non Scottish teams and bring in more Highland / Lowland League sides.

Actually, just sack the whole competition. The SPFL have completely ruined it over the last few seasons.

I wish that I could give you three quarters of a 'like'.

I entirely agree with your first paragraph. I also entirely agree that the SPFL have ruined it over the last few seasons. However, I entirely disagree that it should be scrapped rather than reformed.

It was once a great competition and could be again affording the clubs out with the top tier their only realistic opportunity of a national trophy and giving the fans of the finalists a great day out.

Kick out the colts teams, keep it entirely within Scotland (plus Berwick) admit the juniors, find a decent sponsor and stop tinkering with the format and it could be a great and very worthwhile competition once again.

• Agree 1

On 7/7/2021 at 9:33 AM, TheMantis said:

Oh I think it was a great idea, as it let the Juniors see the world outside their parochial wee enclave and led to the setting up of a proper pyramid. As ICT Paisley says, the Juniors are nearly extinct anyway.

It most certainly was, look at Kelty Hearts now. There will be more to come in the future I’m sure.

43 minutes ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

It most certainly was, look at Kelty Hearts now. There will be more to come in the future I’m sure.

It was ridiculous that a country as small as ours had two separate codes, never the twain shall meet, of adult professional football.

Wonderful to see the closed shop that was the senior league system being gradually opened up with the next step, from next season, being teams from the North Caledonian League or Junior Suoer League given the opportunity to play off with the team finishing foot of the Highland League provided the former meet minimum criteria.

Just a pity that it took over a century of self protectionist, self interested, pulling up of the draw bridge to even begin the process.

• Like 1

Few decent sides involved in the junior set up still and it would be nice to see them in another cup with the main 42 teams

I know I won't get to many ICT games this year so I'm planning doing some groundhopping in the junior leagues

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
22 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

March 23rd, this year.  Buckie 2, ICT:wink:

Can we get their commentator in for the streaming, please?   "Jings almichty!!"

How could I possibly have forgotten one of the most memorable matches in our history against green and white hoops!

On 8/12/2021 at 11:10 AM, Kingsmills said:

How could I possibly have forgotten one of the most memorable matches in our history against green and white hoops!

I loved the podcasts with opposition fans and would love to hear the Buckie guy commentate with us. He was class. 

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, RiG said:

Dunfermline have pulled out of the competition so, if we beat Buckie, we would have an away tie against Elgin to look forward to. 

One blast from the past followed by another.

At least, unlike last season, we will get to enjoy the nostalgia from inside Borough Briggs.

That's assuming we beat Buckie which we cannot take for granted.

As Robert has said, they are going well in the Highland League and those of us of a certain vintage will remember just how much joy it brings a Highland League club, both players and fans to eliminate a Scottish League club from a cup.

Some scope to tinker with the line up and formation but absolutely no scope for complacency.

• Agree 1

One of the few advantages of being 'lower league' is being able to watch live football during the international break.

Should we win this season's tournament I am happy to volunteer to drive to Kirkcaldy to collect the half of the trophy not already in our possession. Probably safer than asking any of the Scottish Cup winning squad to do it.