Inverness CT -V- Peterhead - League Cup

tm4tj

It never came home.....but football is back.

It's the start of a new season and we welcome fans back to the Caledonian Stadium with Peterhead our first visitors in a group 'A' League Cup encounter. The game is a 7:45pm kick off on Tuesday night and although it's restricted, there will be fans allowed to enter the stadium as covid regulations relax. The game can also be streamed live from ICTV for £10

Matchday Info & Streaming

The new season brings new challenges with Billy Dodds now the man in charge of the dugout with Robbo 'upstairs' as Sporting Director. 

There's also some returning faces as well as some new faces. With a restricted pre-season, it looks likely that League Cup games will form part of our preparation to tune in the players for the challenge ahead. Three pre-season games saw an Inverness XI beat Clach 5-0, Forres 1-0 and draw 1-1 with an Aberdeen XI in a closed door friendly.

I imagine it will be our standard low key start to the season with players still getting to know each other. It's difficult to determine who will and who won't feature this early in the season. Manny Duku, Reece McAlear, Michael Gardyne, Tom Walsh, Aaron Doran, David Carson , Sean Welsh, Cammy Harper, Shane Sutherland and both keepers have all been involved in pre-season games along with most of our young academy graduates but there has been no sign of Danny Devine, Wallace Duffy, Anthony McDonald, Robbie Deas or Billy Mckay yet, and still waiting for confirmation if the Kirk Broadfoot rumours are correct (player/coach). 

As an aside, I notice that Toddy scored twice for Dunfermline Athletic in a 4-2 win over Partick Thistle in his first competitive game for the Pars 😭

Peterhead have already played their opening fixture, a 2-0 defeat at Balmoor against Hearts on Saturday. Gary Mackay-Steven and Liam Boyce the scorers for the visitors with a goal in each half. Stirling Albion beat Cove 3-2 in group 'A' on Saturday as well. The other group 'A' game tonight is Hearts -V- Cove Rangers with Stirling Albion having the night off.

Peterhead's starting XI v Hearts

Wilson; Strachan, Mulligan, McDonald, Conroy, Ritchie, Ferry, McCarthy, Cameron, McLean, Payne.

Subs: Cook, Kesson, Brown, Long, Lyle

Latest News

Kirk Broadfoot confirmation. 

Inverness Caledonian Thistle are delighted to announce the signing of central defender Kirk Broadfoot on a 1 year deal. 

As Head Coach Billy Dodds continues to build a squad with a blend of youth and experience, Kirk becomes his sixth summer signing alongside Tom Walsh, Billy Mckay, Manny Duku, Reece McAlear and Michael Gardyne.

• Like 3

I think we're going to miss Toddy this season. Hopefully Billy and Michael can fill that gap. Billy needs to be fed which didn't happen in his second return to ICT

• Agree 2

28 minutes ago, Gringo said:

I think we're going to miss Toddy this season. Hopefully Billy and Michael can fill that gap. Billy needs to be fed which didn't happen in his second return to ICT

I agree. If Billy gets decent service he will be a threat at Championship level and could yet make up for being part of the team that got us relegated by helping to lift us back up.

A new season, a fresh start for everyone, fans back in the ground. Much to look forward to. Let's start by taking all three points against a decent looking Peterhead side this evening.

• Like 1
  • Well Said 1

Really looking forward to tonight’s game, and I hope the team put on a great show. It will be interesting to see how we line up, given the new signings and the players who did not get time in the friendlies.

Hopefully masks and social distancing don’t stop us generating a decent atmosphere, but as tickets are still available we don’t seem anywhere close to a crowd of 1000 for tonight. 

Sitting in the ground: feels good.

Well organised entrance and seating is clearly marked out.

The players are warming up now.

Not certain but the tannoy guy sounds like Andy Bannerman….

Of our new signings, Broadfoot, Duku, McAleer and Walsh are starting. Fyffe also starting. Gardyne on the bench.

https://mobile.twitter.com/ICTFC/status/1415005009444495363/photo/1

Now we need a good performance and a win!

Edited by Robert
  • Like 2

Not sure how it looked in the livestream, but we should be well ahead in this one, but we can’t be complacent as Peterhead have had their moments.

From where I am sitting, Duku has missed a couple of good chances, whilst Walsh and Doran had opportunities.

Of the new signings, Broadfoot has been the pick for me. Walsh has been lively and Duku a nuisance. McAlear has been quieter so far.

Hopefully we turn the possession and chances into goals.

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

5 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

Duku certainly looks a handful, but I’m wondering if he’s one of those forwards who needs a lot of chances before he scores a goal. Gets in good positions, though.

And seconds after I posted that, he gets in a good position and scores with a good finish!

Edited by Yngwie
  • Like 2
  • Agree 1

Happy with that performance, very comfortable in midfield and defence. Two nice goals scored, and the only slight negative tonight was the sackload of missed chances.

Great to have Tom Walsh back, what class, and Doran suddenly looks a few years younger and sharper.

• Like 2
  • Agree 2

We need to sharpen up a bit in front of goal but that is hardly surprising given the disruption to our pre season.

That apart, a dominant performance and a solid defensive display.

Considerable grounds for optimism and Billy McKay still to come.

• Like 1
  • Agree 2

A very promising positive team out there tonight, very enjoyable to watch and look as if they are going to bang in quite a few goals this season.

.Doran, Duku, Broadfoot, Carson and Walsh best of the bunch but not a bad un among them.

:ictscarf:

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Enjoyed that. Very dominant and two early goals in the second half secured the win.

A couple of thoughts driving home. Broadfoot and Fyffe swapped centre half roles at half time. The whole defence clearly had confidence in Fyffe which was good to see.

We looked stronger down the right with Carson and Walsh than down the left with Harper and Doran, but then Doran turned up with his goal!

A word for Sutherland. He put a real shift in and didn’t give Peterhead a minute.

MOM for me was actually Welsh. He was pulling the strings in midfield.

A very encouraging start and we still have Deas, McDonald and Mckay who have not featured so far.

Roll on Saturday.

Sorry to end on a low point, but the club and stewards need to get a grip of full time. The announcements were clear to stay in your seats until told to leave, but they were ignored by many and there were very few stewards who could not control things. It needs sorted for Saturday. 

• Like 1
  • Agree 1
  • Thank You 1
  • Well Said 1

7 minutes ago, Robert said:

Enjoyed that. Very dominant and two early goals in the second half secured the win.

A couple of thoughts driving home. Broadfoot and Fyffe swapped centre half roles at half time. The whole defence clearly had confidence in Fyffe which was good to see.

We looked stronger down the right with Carson and Walsh than down the left with Harper and Doran, but then Doran turned up with his goal!

A word for Sutherland. He put a real shift in and didn’t give Peterhead a minute.

MOM for me was actually Welsh. He was pulling the strings in midfield.

A very encouraging start and we still have Deas, McDonald and Mckay who have not featured so far.

Roll on Saturday.

Sorry to end on a low point, but the club and stewards need to get a grip of full time. The announcements were clear to stay in your seats until told to leave, but they were ignored by many and there were very few stewards who could not control things. It needs sorted for Saturday. 

Thank for the comprehensive summary helpful for us only able to view on stream or not at all.

I would disagree somewhat with your last comment.

Perhaps the club does need to tighten up stewarding but the main fault lies with the idiots too impatient to leave in breach of very clear instructions in the face of a still accelerating global pandemic.

If they are unable or unwilling to obey the rules they should stay at home for the foreseeable future for the sake of the responsible fans who do care for the safety of their fellow human beings some of whom, through no fault of their own, may remain particularly vulnerable.

• Well Said 1
  • Facepalm 2

At the Dundee game at Christmas, the exit was coordinated with Stewards at the bottom of each set of stairs. Tonight there were only 3 or 4 Stewards in the whole stand.

If they are to control people leaving, there need to be enough to have a system that works.

The problem was that some fans were leaving as the whistle blew and others just followed them.

Human nature kicked in, but it could and should have been avoided.

Getting back to the match itself, Duku was subbed due to an injury he got in a challenge. Hopefully it is not serious.

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 2

I thought the first hour was very encouraging. We were closing them down well when they had possession and our passing was brisk and on point. We lost a bit of our rhythm with all the subs, but there were a lot of good performances out there tonight. I agree about the stewarding, and there were many in the North stand not wearing masks, when it was announced that mask wearing was essential in the stand, but not enough stewards to enforce it. Also we weren't allowed to park in the North car park, it was for staff only, and as I have mobility problems, I wasn't amused to have to walk from the main entrance. Surely, that car park should be for folk going into the North stand. Very poor from ICT. I hope they sort it out for Saturday. 

• Agree 2

Not sure if anyone here has connections within the club, but can a memo be passed on that I'd like to keep my hearing during the half time safety announcements. If it's going to be like that throughout the season, I might need to invest in some earplugs before I go deaf 😂

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

54 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Thank for the comprehensive summary helpful for us only able to view on stream or not at all.

Perhaps the club does need to tighten up stewarding but the main fault lies with the idiots too impatient to leave in breach of very clear instructions in the face of a still accelerating global pandemic.

If they are unable or unwilling to obey the rules they should stay at home for the foreseeable future for the sake of the responsible fans who do care for the safety of their fellow human beings some of whom, through no fault of their own, may remain particularly vulnerable.

Sorry but life goes on and we need to learn to live with this, you've obviously been hit hard with the fear factor 

• Facepalm 1

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

Perhaps if they are particularly vulnerable they should stay away from football stadiums?   From where i was in the North stand i did notice quite a few people / families leaving early which did not seem to be a problem, Very orderly and spaced apart ok....  no problem with that. 

• Agree 1
  • Facepalm 2

• tm4tj unpinned this topic
  • Scotty unfeatured this topic