Hearts v Inverness CT: League Cup

Robert

Fail to beat Hearts tomorrow (or at the very least draw and win the penalty shoot out for the bonus point) and we will achieve our lowest points total for the group stage since the format was changed.

• Sad 2
  • Facepalm 1

17 minutes ago, RiG said:

Fail to beat Hearts tomorrow (or at the very least draw and win the penalty shoot out for the bonus point) and we will achieve our lowest points total for the group stage since the format was changed.

Not surprising since we were drawn in the 'group of death' with footballing giants such as Stirling Albion and Cove Rangers.

• Funny 2

Hearts league cup

Our involvement in this seasons opening event will come to an end once we face Hearts at Tynecastle on Sunday in a 17:15 kick-off in our final Group A game. It's been another disastrous League Cup campaign after the optimism of the opening encounter against Peterhead. Subsequent flaky performances against part-time lower league sides have seen the optimism replaced by despair. Not so much the defeats, but the performances have been poor leaving new gaffer Billy Dodds the daunting task of breathing new life into this rapidly deflating side. This game will be broadcast by Premier Sports.

OFFICIAL PREVIEW

Premier Sports

Group A     HOME AWAY  
POS.   P W D L GF GA W D L GF GA GD PTS
1 Heart of Midlothian 3 1 0 0 3 0 2 0 0 4 0 7 9
2 Stirling Albion 3 0 0 1 0 2 1 1 0 5 4 -1 5
3 Inverness Caledonian Thistle 3 1 1 0 4 2 0 0 1 1 3 0 4
4 Peterhead 3 1 0 1 3 3 0 0 1 0 2 -2 3
5 Cove Rangers 4 1 0 1 5 4 0 0 2 1 6 -4

Stirling Albion finish second after beating Peterhead in the other Group A game this weekend. (Final Score 3-1)

Dodds talking after the defeat to Cove Rangers

So, having said he has not done any work with his defenders, Doddsy has promptly gone shopping and brought in another striker to bolster his misfiring forwards. Nineteen year old Lewis Jamieson has come in for a season long loan from Premiership side St Mirren. Quite what he has to offer compared to our own academy graduates has yet to be seen, but good luck to him anyway.

Sean Welsh is still out but David Carson who missed the Cove game could feature. Lewis Jamieson will be included in the squad with Billy Mckay and Anthony McDonald still sidelined. Young right back Harry Nicolson has been loaned to Elgin City until January 2022 and gets a start on Saturday against East Fife.

Have we ever actually qualified from the group stage?

The current format started in 2016/7, so this is the sixth year of the group stages.

I’m struggling to recall us ever getting out of our group: anyone know for certain?

Edited by Robert

1 hour ago, Robert said:

Have we ever actually qualified from the group stage?

The current format started in 2016/7, so this is the sixth year of the group stages.

I’m struggling to recall us ever getting out of our group: anyone know for certain?

Richie Foran is the only ICT manager who has successfully navigated the group stages of the League Cup. We succumbed to Alloa in the first knock out stage.

Edited by RiG

2 hours ago, RiG said:

Richie Foran is the only ICT manager who has successfully navigated the group stages of the League Cup. We succumbed to Alloa in the first knock out stage.

Thanks. I had, until today, succeeded in wiping that defeat from my memory.

So what we looking for today ? Suggestion of a good effort and application resulting in a good performance. Goals would be nice. Clean sheet or at least minimal joy for Hearts due to a good defensive display. Good football. Formation right for coming start of the season. Well turned out for the telly 😁 that's just for starters...

• Like 1

We are playing ok. Rodgers has done well. 

Our full backs have done well against gms and other winger.

Duku has been excellent. 

Devine and Deas at centre back and lb seems more secure. 

What is the difference to harper? 

Good to see BBC Radio Scotland offering the balanced views of former Hearts Manager/Sporting Director Craig Levein and rabib Hearts supporter Alan Preston this evening. Preston taking the opportunity to talk up a Roddy McGregor move to "big English clubs". Given Preston's role as an agent (represented Dan McKay in his move to Hibs) it's nice of the BBC to offer Preston the opportunity to speculate - seems very well informed. Heaven forbid he might use this platform for his own personal gain.....

• Well Said 4

Gardyne was for 'endangering an opponent'. I saw it as a late tackle but he did the old scissor kick motion which probably sealed his fate. Still soft in my eyes but I'm massively biased. 

Thought MacGregor provided good energy and guile. Ridgers was outstanding. Deas did well at lb against Gino, oh Gino, Ginelli. Sutherland and the wingers played much deeper to provide much more protection to the defence. 1st half was decent. 2nd half we struggled to threaten at all and conceded too many chances. 

• Thank You 1

From a clinical perspective we have been haemorrhaging potential performers for a number of years and given our financial position, also affected by the need to accept paltry and derisory transfer fees, we have become a selling club and no manager or coach at the level of experience that we can afford and attract can change that pattern. I have for some time accepted that my support will be limited to the level that we are currently positioned in and in the hope that we continue to get over the finishing line and not dropping the egg or stumbling in the tattered sack from a cut price outlet.

• Well Said 1

• tm4tj pinned this topic
  • Scotty unpinned this topic