Windows 11 Beta

Feb82000

Hi Every one should I download the Windows 11 beta now or Wait until the full Release Comes out I have a Windows 10 lap top  and are you able to update to the full Windows 11 from the beta once it comes out in OCTOBER as I like to try out Android apps on windows 11 beta 

4 hours ago, scottishhighlands said:

Hi Every one should I download the Windows 11 beta now or Wait until the full Release Comes out I have a Windows 10 lap top  and are you able to update to the full Windows 11 from the beta once it comes out in OCTOBER as I like to try out Android apps on windows 11 beta 

NO!  Just NO!  Or at least, be VERY careful.

Windows 11 requires version 2.0 of a thing called Trusted Platform Module (TPM), which is not in all consumer/home PCs.   If you don't have it, you'd be wasting your time.   (You're going to hear a lot more about this over the coming year, as Microsoft tries to get us to move to Windows 11.)

It is reckoned that most PCs less than 4 years old should have TPM 2.0.  You may have it either as a separate hardware module, or integrated into your motherboard, or it may possibly be implemented in your CPU firmware.  (There are lists of compatible CPUs online.) You may be able to enable it through your UEFI/BIOS.

Unfortunately, Microsoft has withdrawn their compatibility checker which told you whether your machine would be able to run Windows 11.   They withdrew it because it didn't provide enough information about why your machine couldn't run Windows 11 :crazy:   They promise it will be back "in the fall".  There are unofficial ones available online - I don't know how accurate they are.

If you know what you are doing and you understood every word of this and you are sure that you have TPM 2.0, then go ahead.  Otherwise my advice would be to wait until the Windows 11 compatibility checker reappears later this year, and then use it to find out what you have to do.  Windows 10 will be supported for around five more years, so it's not exactly an urgent matter.

Having worked with computers since 1975, my advice is never, ever, jump in and be the first to use new technology of any sort.   Though scottishhighlands would clearly disagree :lol:   Good luck, mate!

More here if you're interested - https://uk.pcmag.com/operating-systems/134365/can-my-pc-run-windows-11  and   https://uk.pcmag.com/components/134144/what-is-a-tpm-and-why-do-i-need-one-for-windows-11

I agree - at best, put it on a test machine you can reimage if needed ... do not put it on your day to day machine until everyone else has broken it and MS have fixed some of their features bugs. 

• Agree 1