Ayr United (H) - 21 August 2021

Robert

Ticketing and PPV details released. Most of us back in our own seats!

https://ictfc.com/ticket-info-ayr-utd-h-21-08-2021

Nice to see a live chat facility on ICTV. Just need it on the main site now (and someone who keeps an eye on it!):

https://ictfc.com/ictv-info-ayr-united-h

Edited by Robert

This season, above all others, is all about results rather than performances and we are three games, all victories and no goals conceded 

The road to the title and promotion can be paved with narrow 1-0 victories and, right this moment, I will happily settle for another one in our top of the table clash next week.

• Agree 1

22 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

This season, above all others, is all about results rather than performances and we are three games, all victories and no goals conceded 

The road to the title and promotion can be paved with narrow 1-0 victories and, right this moment, I will happily settle for another one in our top of the table clash next week.

Personally I'd prefer bigger margins in our victories, but maybe I'm just greedy!

Last-ditch defending of a 1-0 lead is folly and may well result in last-minute disappointment.

We should be setting the bar higher and consolidating a victory rather than time-wasting to preserve a narrow lead.

Early days though, and 3 wins is 3 wins!!!

• Agree 2

30 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Looks like next week's game is our first "must-win" of the season :lol:

I thought Sean Welsh looked really good when he was on.  Another great shift from David Carson, too.

Not convinced by the attack, though.  Would like to see more people getting forward, quicker, and together - instead of a lonely figure trying to hold the ball up until support arrives.

And it might just be because he was close to the camera for the second half, but I don't see Michael Gardyne doing much.  He is the epitome of an older experienced pro - rarely running, but not making mistakes either.  Usually playing safe balls - sideways. 

Would like to have seen Aaron Doran brought on much earlier to try to liven up the left-hand side of the attack, which was no comparison with Walsh and Carson on the right.

But, hey - 3 points!

• Like 1

As good as he is Carson isn't a right back, and it shows a little bit more each week.

From what I can tell we need to focus the team around Roddy,  everything good we did involved him, and he got back for a few tackles on the break as well.

A little too much hoofing from the defenders when a few short passes would do the job and keep possession. 

More than a few of Ayrs half chances came from our misplaced passing. Need to sort it out.

Proper test next week.

Edited by Satan
Sp
  • Agree 1

5 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

And it might just be because he was close to the camera for the second half, but I don't see Michael Gardyne doing much.  He is the epitome of an older experienced pro - rarely running, but not making mistakes either.  Usually playing safe balls - sideways. 

I actually thought Gardyne had a good game. He generally used the ball well, and was tracking back to assist Deas, whilst also creating a couple of opportunities.

I wasn’t convinced about signing him, but so far he has been doing ok.

Whether he is a better option than Doran really depends on how fit Doran is. He looked sharp when he came on and displayed some good skills a couple of times.

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 3

5 hours ago, Satan said:

As good as he is Carson isn't a right back, and it shows a little bit more each week.

From what I can tell we need to focus the team around Roddy,  everything good we did involved him, and he got back for a few tackles on the break as well.

A little too much hoofing from the defenders when a few short passes would do the job and keep possession. 

More than a few of Ayrs half chances came from our misplaced passing. Need to sort it out.

Proper test next week.

I think Carson is doing fine although not as good as midfield but totally agree with the rest of your post :smile:

On 8/21/2021 at 7:45 PM, Naelifts said:

But......fabulous result. Cant agree next week is a must win but a good performance and a point would be good enough for me.

I agree. If we continue to win our more routine games we needn't have a 'must win' at all this season.

I must say having praised Caley for their total football in the last match bit disappointed on Saturday.  Having  said that we won so should  be pleased. I would have liked  a bit more flair. In the first game players seemed to back each other up a bit more. A win is a win so chuffed. 

• Agree 1

The difference between a team that will be in the mix come the end of the season and one that wont is the ability to grind out results and to win ugly .... it wouldnt be easy to watch and no-one would have fingernails left but I couldn't care less if we win every game 1-0 this season ... if we did then we would win the league by at least 12 points, and likely a lot more .... Would be great to get one over on Killie next week a real confidence boost and the proverbial 6-pointer that could stop the momentum - or at least slow it down - for one of the sides. Would also settle for a hard earned point away from home. 

• Agree 2

9 minutes ago, SteveA said:

I thought Roddy McGregor was fantastic on Saturday. If he continues to play like that it should be him plus one of Allatifce, Welsh or McClear to start. 

Absolutely. I hope that we are talking to Roddy anout a contract extension.

If he continues to imorove and develop at the rate he has been it is inevitable that he will move on to a much bigger club at a higher level.

That always bitter pill would be considerably sweetened by a substantial fee.

• Agree 2