Robbo’s Book

Robert

John Robertson has a book coming out. The article doesn’t mention ICT and indicates that the book covers up until the end of his playing career so it doesn’t sound like his two periods with us will feature.

I am sure it will be a good read despite that.

Details here:

https://ictfc.com/john-robertsons-book-available-for-pre-order

Edited by Robert
  • Thank You 1

• 1 month later...
14 hours ago, ICTPAISLEY said:

Bit strange flogging that on our page. Would be better suited to the Hearts shop. 

In all fairness, nobody is 'flogging' the book on this site.

A regular poster posted a link which is perfectly legitimate given Robbo's long standing connection to the club.

• Agree 1

9 hours ago, Jack Waddington said:

Would've been more inclined to buy it if it was similar to that of Pele's 'Tales of a Highland Hero', but I don't see it coming close in terms of detailing his managerial career...

The best book written so far about Highland football has to ve Alex Main's 'In A Different League' Sadly, it has veen out of print for very many years now.

4 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

The best book written so far about Highland football has to ve Alex Main's 'In A Different League' Sadly, it has veen out of print for very many years now.

That was Rod Clyne Shirley?
But I can see by that Freudian slip there’s a Caley fan hiding in your subconscious 😉
There’s a secondhand paperback of Alex’s book on Amazon atm. Yours for £65 😂

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

But I can see by that Freudian slip there’s a Caley fan hiding in your subconscious 😉

Well spotted John.  By the way, I've just looked on Amazon. Would you believe £160?  Makes me wonder how much my copies of  Caley related books are worth.  I'm sure many of us have them all, ie

Milestones & Memories, Against all odds, Caley all the Way, Going ballistic, In a different league, Confessions of a Highland hero.

Are there any I've missed?

2 hours ago, TheMantis said:

You are absolutely right. These senior moments are getting increasingly frequent 😁

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, Caley Mad In Berks said:

Well spotted John.  By the way, I've just looked on Amazon. Would you believe £160?  Makes me wonder how much my copies of  Caley related books are worth.  I'm sure many of us have them all, ie

Milestones & Memories, Against all odds, Caley all the Way, Going ballistic, In a different league, Confessions of a Highland hero.

Are there any I've missed?

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

You are absolutely right. These senior moments are getting increasingly frequent 😁

I think I got Rod Clyne's book in Melvens (could have been Thin's by that time). Think it was 3 quid.

5 minutes ago, TheMantis said:

I think I got Rod Clyne's book in Melvens (could have been Thin's by that time). Think it was 3 quid.

At risk of developing into 'Old Inverness' but I used to love being taken to Melven's as a child.

Even more so if the trip into town also involved a bottle of Coke in the Locarno Cafe and maybe even a visit to the toy shop in the Market.

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

Even more so if the trip into town also involved a bottle of Coke in the Locarno Cafe and maybe even a visit to the toy shop in the Market.

Coke?  Hope you didn't miss out on Renzo's fantastic ice-cream. It had a lemony tinge to it - best I've ever tasted.

Just to add a couple of books.  King Willie Grant published a slim autobiography (88 pages) in 1993, called "A Fair Kick of the Ball".  Years since I read it, but I'm sure it will have more about his time at Elgin - and of course elsewhere - than about Thistle.

Also published in 1993, Bill McAllister was commissioned to produce "Highland Hundred", a general history of the first 100 years of the Highland League.

There may be books about non-Inverness Highland League clubs or players, but they wouldn't have interested me.  Has anyone ever written a history of the Clach?

25 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Coke?  Hope you didn't miss out on Renzo's fantastic ice-cream. It had a lemony tinge to it - best I've ever tasted.

Just to add a couple of books.  King Willie Grant published a slim autobiography (88 pages) in 1993, called "A Fair Kick of the Ball".  Years since I read it, but I'm sure it will have more about his time at Elgin - and of course elsewhere - than about Thistle.

Also published in 1993, Bill McAllister was commissioned to produce "Highland Hundred", a general history of the first 100 years of the Highland League.

There may be books about non-Inverness Highland League clubs or players, but they wouldn't have interested me.  Has anyone ever written a history of the Clach?

If they have I would be intrigued to know how a football club came to be named after a stone in the river which generations of washer women had used to beat the clothes dry.

1 hour ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Yes I've got this one

81175.jpg

41 minutes ago, IBM said:

Now your all going  :offtopic01:  

Careful or Scotty will be twisting your arm to be a mod 😇

• Funny 1

5 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

If they have I would be intrigued to know how a football club came to be named after a stone in the river which generations of washer women had used to beat the clothes dry.

Good question, but it’s not a great deal crazier than naming one team after a canal and another after a weed! 😉

• Funny 1

On 10/31/2021 at 2:12 PM, Kingsmills said:

In all fairness, nobody is 'flogging' the book on this site.

A regular poster posted a link which is perfectly legitimate given Robbo's long standing connection to the club.

Apologies I meant on ictfc