Caley and Thistle 6 Tottenham Hotspur 3

Kingsmills

There is a really interesting atricle on the BBC Scotland website today describing the occasion when a Spurs side described as 'bristling with international stars' was humbled 6-3 by a Caledonian and Thistle select at a 'packed Telford Street'.

Sorry, I have been unable to make the link work for some reason but it's well worth a read.

• Thank You 2

Alex Main's book "Caley All The Way" just mentions it in passing, as does Bill McAllister's "Highland Hundred". 

Though Bill does say that there was a rumour that the Wembley winners "were more relaxed than they might have been" by the time they reached Inverness.

The Select team was:  J Sutherland (Thistle);   A Sutherland (Thistle), Mitchell (Caley);  J Fraser (Caley), D Fraser (Caley), R Fraser (Thistle);  Docherty (Caley),  Robertson (Caley),  Macdonald (Thistle), Mackenzie (Thistle), Lamb (Thistle).

I love the half-back line of three Frasers!

Scorers were Macdonald (2), Lamb (2), Mackenzie and Robertson.

2 hours ago, Robert said:

Thanks for sharing and a fascinating story. I like the photo of “rural Telford Street”. 

Did you also see the cutting from the paper, a midweek match with “Kick off 6pm prompt”.  Presumably 6pm because no floodlights? I wonder why they felt the need to add prompt, it kind of implies that other matches weren’t so prompt!

14 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

Did you also see the cutting from the paper, a midweek match with “Kick off 6pm prompt”.  Presumably 6pm because no floodlights? I wonder why they felt the need to add prompt, it kind of implies that other matches weren’t so prompt!

Intrtesting to see that admission to the terracing was a shilling which, accounting for inflation, is about £7.80 in today's terms. Pretty good value for such a high profile glamour match.

That said, when I first started going to the football in the 60s it was still only 2 shillings to get through the 'boys and OAP's' gate at any of the three Inverness grounds. Perish the thought that any girl or woman might want to go to the football.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Alex Main's book "Caley All The Way" just mentions it in passing, as does Bill McAllister's "Highland Hundred". 

Though Bill does say that there was a rumour that the Wembley winners "were more relaxed than they might have been" by the time they reached Inverness.

The Select team was:  J Sutherland (Thistle);   A Sutherland (Thistle), Mitchell (Caley);  J Fraser (Caley), D Fraser (Caley), R Fraser (Thistle);  Docherty (Caley),  Robertson (Caley),  Macdonald (Thistle), Mackenzie (Thistle), Lamb (Thistle).

I love the half-back line of three Frasers!

Scorers were Macdonald (2), Lamb (2), Mackenzie and Robertson.

A very good article from the BBC.  A lot of names playing for both teams that have been repeated in more recent times.