Inverness CT -V- Queen of the South - Preview

Robert

Deserved win. We largely cigared that today save for a period in the second half when Queens got their equaliser and looked like they might steal a point but fortunately we were able to go up a gear and get a deserved winner.

Smashing performance from Gardyne. He might be 58 but he's still as fit as anyone in our squad and still has plenty to offer. Pacey and direct and not afraid to have a crack at goal when some might take an extra touch too many (Duku). Lovely finish for the winner and a deserved MotM. Devine continues to be perhaps our most consistent performer. He almost score a comedy own goal but other than that he was excellent again and stepped out of defence on numerous occasions to intercept balls forward from Queens. Carson was again solid at RB and MacGregor, before his injury, was running the midfield. Walsh was disappointing though and I feel that he's not really hit the height he did in his previous stint with us.

Connelly looked useful for Queens who did press and harry us a lot in the first half but seemed to cease after conceding a goal and seemed content to let us knock the ball about looking for an opening. Unfortunately a fair bit of our play broke down in the final third (we definitely lacked a killer pass at times) but I felt we dealt with their few attacking opportunities quite well. Their equaliser was absolutely stunning but fortunately we just upped our game a bit and took a deserved win.

All in all, a very pleasing day.

WhatsApp Image 2021-09-25 at 20.51.17.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Agree 3

Great result - I must admit that I am still a tad disappointed that we dropped 2 points last week (which is ridiculous of me), but it just shows how far we have come from our usual start to the season.

So many of us still find it very strange to see Gardyne in an ICT strip, but he certainly proved to any doubters that he isn't just there to make up the numbers. Great goal at just the right time.

Keep it up boys - you are all amazing.

• Agree 3

I must also commend Broadfoot. He is growing on me and is forming a great partnership with Devine, who I still feel is under rated by some.

Several times today he took the ball out from deep and moved forward looking to set things up.

It did not always work for him, but it was good to see.

Next week I’d like to see McKay start. Duku works hard and is a menace to defences, but has not scored in the league for us yet. I’d like to see how McKay and Sutherland work together, as they could be a potent pairing.

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, CaleyHedgehog said:

Gardyne was really up for it today and encouraging others. His goal celebration showed how much he wants to win games with us, then there was his dance with Carson after the final whistle as they were clapping the fans. He wants to do well here. 

Edited by Robert
  • Like 1
  • Agree 2

A good support again today but not so noisy in the north stand a it was the last time and the woman in front of me with the rattle who I thought was Lizi turned out to be Jenny :lol: she was making plenty noise especially when Gardine scored :clapping:

1 hour ago, IBM said:

A good support again today but not so noisy in the north stand a it was the last time and the woman in front of me with the rattle who I thought was Lizi turned out to be Jenny :lol: she was making plenty noise especially when Gardine scored :clapping:

I can assure you I was using my rattle to the fullest when Gardyne scored!  Lizi x 

• Like 4

Once again, the only real disappointment yesterday was the size of the crowd.

There are over a hundred thousand people living less than an hour's drive from the stadium and for fewer than 2% percent of them to turn out to watch a team still unbeaten at the top of a very competitive league playing very decent football is very disappointing.

Come on Inverness, get yourself and your family and friends down to the Longman on a Saturday afternoon and cheer this fine team of ours back into the Premiership.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

It looks like the board did well signing Dodds as the manager, having handled John Robertson's situation very well. They have done well again with recruitment for the team, with what appears an excellent mix of youth and experience, but all talented...the number of players on decent length contracts is another factor that has to be helpful

Few of us would have dreamed that we would make quite the start that we have, and it sounds like yesterday's result was highly deserved. Good to hear that guys like Broadfoot and Gardyne, whose signings were met with a little bit of eyebrow raising along with Devine whose re-signing last season triggered the same reaction are delivering to a good level.

I managed to swing past the stadium a couple of weeks ago, with my wife, as we started our holiday around the North Coast 500 route in generally excellent weather, and picked up a Caley face mask which I look forward to wearing in various places down here in South London, we spent three days in total in Inverness, and it was a real delight to be back. Trying to sort a trip up for a home game, but Kilmarnock away in Jan is on!  :ictscarf:

Edited by Eagle4Caley
  • Like 3

Not our best performance yesterday but last season we wouldn't of come back and won after Queens scored. Like others have said the partnership of Devine and Broadfoot seems to get better each week, although we did get lucky when Ridgers made a smart save after one of them cleared the ball straight of the other. Gardyne and Welsh really good for me.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, CELTIC1CALEY3 said:

There are nine teams to keep an eye on starting next Saturday with Hamilton hoping to be the first to beat us in the league this year.  

To be pedantic, we have already been beaten four times in the league this year but let's hope that, on Saturday, Hamilton become the latest to be thwarted in their ambition to be the first to beat us in the league this season.

2 hours ago, Kingsmills said:

To be pedantic, we have already been beaten four times in the league this year but let's hope that, on Saturday, Hamilton become the latest to be thwarted in their ambition to be the first to beat us in the league this season.

You can tell how well the team are doing just now when the biggest gripe we’ve got is this 🙂 

• Funny 2
  • Thoughtful 1

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

I appreciate that he is 35 now but I would very much like to think that we are speaking to Michael Gardyne about doubling the length of his one year deal.

Bit early for that perhaps, let's see how things go for the next seven league games.

• tm4tj unpinned this topic