Stockport County fan visit - Caley Thistle vs Arbroath

GE1

Hello!

My name's Gareth and I'm a 32 year old Stockport County fan. 

I'm doing 8 days in Scotland for my partner's 30th birthday celebrations. We're stopping off in various places on the way, but basically heading up to Isle of Skye from Glasgow and then looping back down to Edinburgh. We're staying one night in Inverness on Tuesday 26th October and as luck has it you guys have a match. 

My missus will be having a quiet night in with our 10 month old lad, but I've got a footy mad 5 year old daughter who's joining me for the match. I regularly do home and away games following County, so I couldn't pass on the opportunity to take in some football on our trip.

I guess I just wanted to say hello and try to make the most of the night for my daughter. Could anyone recommend where to sit or offer any advice? Does the club offer any quick tours on anything along those lines? I've been taking my daughter to the football for around 3 years, so she's well used to a match day by now and loves an atmosphere.

Doing my research on County/Caley connections, I see James Vincent and Greg Tansey had some good spells with you. I found myself watching Vincent's cup final goal and then listening to his interview on The Wyness Shuffle podcast last night! Both lads came through our youth system and were pretty much thrown in the deep end during our turbulent, administration years. We've even had Jason Oswell and Owain Fôn Williams too. For context, County got to the dizzy heights of the old Divison One (now Championship), but had a rapid decline that led to us falling to part-time regional football in the National North. We're now in the National League pushing for promotion back to the Football League.

We're looking forward to our visit!

• Like 7
  • Agree 1

34 minutes ago, Gareth Eccleston said:

Does the club offer any quick tours on anything along those lines?

Afaik there's nothing officially advertised. But nearly every day outside match day is mostly quiet, so turning up and asking will usually get you a behind the scenes view, but I would reccomend phoning up as I'm not overly sure if this has changed lately.

As for where to sit, if you're wanting atmosphere, the North Stand is the way to go, the Main Stand doesn't provide a whole lot unless you want to see the sunset over the Beauly Firth towards the end of the game.

Ace, thanks for the advice. I'll contact the club and see if we can sort anything out for a little walk around.

I hope you're good start continues and we look forward to our visit.

6 hours ago, Gareth Eccleston said:

I regularly do home and away games following County, so I couldn't pass on the opportunity to take in some football on our trip.

Probably just refer to Stockport as C(o)unty is a bit of a dirty word around here 😂

• Funny 4

• 1 month later...

Gareth,

I hope you enjoyed your holiday in the highlands and had some decent weather before the "turmoil" on Tuesday night and that's not the weather I am talking about.  It's a pity you didn't even see a half decent game of football, I am sure you will be glad to see Stockport again.  We started of better this season than usual and I am hoping that we will play better for the rest of the season to get the chance for promotion again.

• Agree 3

• 1 month later...

Gareth' Hi there from Canada. I am now a Canadian citizen named Roderick but when I note the mention of the Isle of Skye I feel compelled to answer as follows : "A very good friend of mine  lives on the same street as me (a co-incidence I still can't get my head around) in the City named Maple Ridge in British Columbia .She was born on the Isle of Skye and so we have something in common.She has a very bright mind and keeps me happy by always seeming to know things i need to know whenever my aging memory at 83 years old fails me. She and I are not girlfriend and boyfriend but we do stuff together because we are both from Scotland and have much in common. I have not yet mentioned Caley Thistle as I write but will do very soon. She has been to Inverness but does not remember much about it .She has taught me a lot though,  especially how entrances and exits to and from Skye from the Scottish Mainland have worked successfully etc. The real irony of this whole thing is that a very good friend of mine named George Gibson, former civil engineer and also the former water  engineer on Skye, and who was also my former neighbour in Dunain Road, Inverness when I was little and lived right next door to him, is well known to Karen because she lived next door to him on Skye .. And , hearing much of this I keep thinking..."My goodennes Gracious, what co-incidences are there to be uncovered and sometimes it's kinda weird too since you can hardly believe such co-incidences can exist.

She and I are not romantically connected but she is so clever I can't let go of her apron strings because my memory is now fading and being replaced by dementia. So her younger mind and overall knowledge of everything around me  it seems is amazing and helpful to me. I have a feeling that she probably was high up on the list of school duxes on Skye and this would have been her best fit I think as a student and a person  but, I think she does come from a different era than old Rodders. But ,Heh! You just never know who or what you are going to be confronted with in life and being a Boy Scout instead of a Life Boy would have been just as interesting for me  I feel.

Anyway  that's only a little bit of back-talk from the worker's condensation board as I see it  and thank you Scotty for allowing me to go off topic a wee bit. Very cold and wet, plus snow,  here in British Columbia for the last couple of days and more to come as I hear. A lot of potential, additional,  flooding in this area is forecast also  so I will need my toddy the nicht!  

I have been coming back on this site more frequently these last few months and I intend to continue since it is so interesting and I have been starved of all soccer (oops football) matches  where I live. And when I again see the names of our supporters on here I am really delighted  as well.

Cheers to all  from VERY cold Maple Ridge in the fine Province of British Columbia, Canada......Roderick Rhodes

• Like 5

2 hours ago, Scarlet Pimple said:

Gareth' Hi there from Canada. I am now a Canadian citizen named Roderick but when I note the mention of the Isle of Skye I feel compelled to answer as follows : "A very good friend of mine  lives on the same street as me (a co-incidence I still can't get my head around) in the City named Maple Ridge in British Columbia .She was born on the Isle of Skye and so we have something in common.She has a very bright mind and keeps me happy by always seeming to know things i need to know whenever my aging memory at 83 years old fails me. She and I are not girlfriend and boyfriend but we do stuff together because we are both from Scotland and have much in common. I have not yet mentioned Caley Thistle as I write but will do very soon. She has been to Inverness but does not remember much about it .She has taught me a lot though,  especially how entrances and exits to and from Skye from the Scottish Mainland have worked successfully etc. The real irony of this whole thing is that a very good friend of mine named George Gibson, former civil engineer and also the former water  engineer on Skye, and who was also my former neighbour in Dunain Road, Inverness when I was little and lived right next door to him, is well known to Karen because she lived next door to him on Skye .. And , hearing much of this I keep thinking..."My goodennes Gracious, what co-incidences are there to be uncovered and sometimes it's kinda weird too since you can hardly believe such co-incidences can exist.

She and I are not romantically connected but she is so clever I can't let go of her apron strings because my memory is now fading and being replaced by dementia. So her younger mind and overall knowledge of everything around me  it seems is amazing and helpful to me. I have a feeling that she probably was high up on the list of school duxes on Skye and this would have been her best fit I think as a student and a person  but, I think she does come from a different era than old Rodders. But ,Heh! You just never know who or what you are going to be confronted with in life and being a Boy Scout instead of a Life Boy would have been just as interesting for me  I feel.

Anyway  that's only a little bit of back-talk from the worker's condensation board as I see it  and thank you Scotty for allowing me to go off topic a wee bit. Very cold and wet, plus snow,  here in British Columbia for the last couple of days and more to come as I hear. A lot of potential, additional,  flooding in this area is forecast also  so I will need my toddy the nicht!  

I have been coming back on this site more frequently these last few months and I intend to continue since it is so interesting and I have been starved of all soccer (oops football) matches  where I live. And when I again see the names of our supporters on here I am really delighted  as well.

Cheers to all  from VERY cold Maple Ridge in the fine Province of British Columbia, Canada......Roderick Rhodes

Welcome back Scarlet. Good to hear from you in chilly BC once again. 🇨🇦

5 minutes ago, IMMORTAL HOWDEN ENDER said:

Jhesus - This bloody forum is jam packed with old farts from all over the globe. We will be getting updates on the feckin Ice Hockey next.

Or rugby league from downtown Chorley 😀