Hamilton -V- Inverness CT - Preview

tm4tj

Only positive from the first half is that Killie are also losing. Can we do what we did against Partick and turn things round in the second half? We will need to play much better to do that.

Hamilton have not been particularly good which makes it worse that we are 2 behind. 

Very poor too little far too late.Especially against ten men for two thirds of the game.

The only positive to take from today is that Kilmarnock also lost and we are still top of the league However, even that crumb of comfort is tampered by the loss of the opportunity to give ouselves a comfortable cushion at the top.

Hopefully, an aberration and we can put this behind us and get back to winning ways for our next league outing.

Deserved win for Accies. We were rotten for too much of that game to deserve anything. Nice finishes for both of their goals but really poor defending from our point of view.

After the sending off it was almost all ICT but we created pretty much nothing of note. Half hearted penalty appeals in the second half and a wonderful strike from Gardyne, easily our best player, were all we had to show for our possession.

Accies defended well and easily coped with our timid attempts to get back into the game. We had to lose sometime but I am very disappointed at how poor we were today. 

• Agree 4

Disappointing performance and result. In the first half, the early goal rocked us and gave Hamilton confidence, then they got their second with a good finish.

Once they went two ahead and down to 10 men, they packed their defence and we struggled to break them down, although their defenders had a lot of last ditch defending and blocks.

However, other than Harper hitting the bar and chances for Sutherland and Welsh, I’m struggling to recall many clear cut opportunities.

Gardyne deserved his goal as he was our most dangerous player, and linked up well with Harper on the left.

We need to be more potent as we are not scoring enough goals and our league position flatters us on recent performances.

Worryingly we have beaten the teams in 2nd to 7th and dropped points against 2 of the bottom 3, with the other team in the bottom 3 to come next.

It just highlights how any team can beat any team in this league so we need to be on our game every week.

Still, despite today’s disappointment, before the season started we’d all have taken being 3 points ahead at the top after 8 games!

• Agree 3

6 minutes ago, Robert said:

We need to be more potent as we are not scoring enough goals and our league position flatters us on recent performances.

Agreed.  I was thinking that the next few games - maybe up until the end of the year - could be sink or swim.

We still have the problem that has existed since Billy Mckay left for the first time - we have no reliable goalscorer.

Duku is ineffectual, Sutherland lacks ball-control skills, and Mckay himself never seems to get near the ball.

Blue-skies thinking - when Carson is fit again, I would be tempted to see just how far forward he can play.  Start him in midfield again, and then see if he can play higher up the park.

• Agree 1

Agree with the above, we are playing like a team that does not believe they are capable of winning this league and have been waiting for the bubble to burst. Well, it's now burst, how quick can we repair it.

• Agree 1

I know Walsh hasn't been playing great recently but I was surprised when he was subbed. Putting MacGregor wide right nullified him for almost an hour and he continuously drifted inside leaving Duffy with no one ahead of him to work with. Our whole right flank became redundant.

• Agree 1

7 minutes ago, tm4tj said:

Agree with the above, we are playing like a team that does not believe they are capable of winning this league and have been waiting for the bubble to burst. Well, it's now burst, how quick can we repair it.

I agree. The last time we wete relegated Terry Butcher instilled in the team a belief that they could win the league despite  at one point, being double figures in terms of points behind Dundee.

This squad might not be quite so experienced or talented but, if they can summon up the same degree of confidence and belief, they are good enough to win the title and, with it  promotion.

19 minutes ago, RiG said:

I know Walsh hasn't been playing great recently but I was surprised when he was subbed. Putting MacGregor wide right nullified him for almost an hour and he continuously drifted inside leaving Duffy with no one ahead of him to work with. Our whole right flank became redundant.

Taking Walsh off was the right move, he has been very poor for weeks and results and lack of a fit option kept him in team. Would have brought McDonald on earlier and given him a decent chace to get at Hamilton. McKay been awful as well since resigned but Gardyne and Mcdonald wide will create a lot of chances. Today Hamilton sat very deep and we played in front of them. 2 or 3 touches instead of 1-2. Playing 10men we should have moved them quicker and tired them but waiting to 65 to go to 3 at tge back was weird. Should have done that at ht and really gone at them, just looked lije hopeful balks into box. Oh and Duku was brutal as well...

39 minutes ago, ForresJag said:

Taking Walsh off was the right move, he has been very poor for weeks and results and lack of a fit option kept him in team. Would have brought McDonald on earlier and given him a decent chace to get at Hamilton. McKay been awful as well since resigned but Gardyne and Mcdonald wide will create a lot of chances. Today Hamilton sat very deep and we played in front of them. 2 or 3 touches instead of 1-2. Playing 10men we should have moved them quicker and tired them but waiting to 65 to go to 3 at tge back was weird. Should have done that at ht and really gone at them, just looked lije hopeful balks into box. Oh and Duku was brutal as well...

Think you are being a bit unfair on Billy. He’s never really had the chance coming on as a sub other than the Buckie game. He needs to be starting a run of games to get back to goal scoring ways 

• Agree 3

Walsh has been poor since he returned. I expected a lot more from him, he seems to have lost the ability to drift past defenders. Billy was as culpable as the rest of them.

Duku is an awkward customer but needs better service or he will end the season scoreless.

They need to show a lot more intent if they are to remain at the top of the table until May.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, jagster said:

Think you are being a bit unfair on Billy. He’s never really had the chance coming on as a sub other than the Buckie game. He needs to be starting a run of games to get back to goal scoring ways 

An experienced player who like Gardyne shoukd be leading by example. I accept he needs games, all players do but results have hidden failings. I would like to see McKay\Sutherland up top with Gardyne\Mcdonald wide. Natural goalscorers and creative wide players. Walsh been a passenger for weeks, needs a timeout to refocus his mind and get his desire back, now mcdonald fit it puts pressure on him and thats good

• Agree 2

Mckay and Sutherland would be my preferred options as well. Duku  is never going to score enough goals to get us up. I think billy would guarantee as 10-15 and with others chipping in it could be enough. 

On a side note being from Forres where is the place to go for drinks next week Thunderton house maybe or other reccomendations

Edited by jagster

I’ve been saying for a few weeks that I’d like to see Mckay and Sutherland together. They got the second half today but I’d start them both at Elgin to see if they can form a partnership with a view to them starting against Morton in a fortnight.

Duku is a menace and works hard, but we are not getting the goals we need, so time to change things.

I also think we missed Devine today.

A word about the referee today. He was too card happy, self inflicted by punishing the first dodgy tackle. According to the BBC stats, there were 21 fouls, but somehow he booked 7 players and sent 1 off, which did not reflect the nature of the match. I think Duku was subbed at half time due to the high risk he would get penalised again and sent off.

Edited by Robert
  • Agree 1

3 hours ago, jagster said:

Don't see why coming on as a sub makes any difference.  Unless he needs 60 minutes to warm up....

1 hour ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Don't see why coming on as a sub makes any difference.  Unless he needs 60 minutes to warm up....

Always harder to get into a Game As a sub like joining your mates for  a **** up half way  through  Who knows  what they are laughing about 

Edited by jagster
  • Funny 4

• tm4tj unpinned this topic
  • IBM unfeatured this topic