Elgin City -V- Inverness CT- Ch/Cup

tm4tj

Olde rivalry renewed

Its not often we get the opportunity to renew acquaintances with one of our, (especially Caley), main adversaries in ye olde Highland League, but this Saturday we will travel to Borough Briggs for a Challenge Cup tie against Elgin City. This season it's called the SPFL Trust Trophy.

Don't forget this game is an early kick off at 2:00pm.

Tired Cat GIFIn the previous round, we disposed of Buckie Thistle with an ultimately comfortable 4-0 scoreline. It was not as clear cut as the score suggests, but we eased to the win with two late goals from Billy Mckay. Lewis Jamieson had us in front before the break but not before Buckie had rattled the woodwork and Cammy Mackay had made a great save to keep the high scoring Highland League side at bay. Cammy Harper put us two ahead before the late cameo from Billy.

Elgin got here having beaten Hibs young team 1-2 and were the given a bye when Dunfermline were below par as covid put paid to their Challenge and they conceded the tie.

OFFICIAL PREVIEW

PPV STREAMING

MATCH TICKETS

MATCH INFO

Match Info from Elgin City

We have only played Elgin twice in big boy matches

Jan 21st Scottish Cup (Rd 4) 2 - 1  (A)    3,624    
 Jan 8th Scottish Cup (Rd 4) 2 - 0  (H)    2,808    

Although we have played them in pre-season games and NoS Cup games.

Oct 3rd Friendly (Pre-season) 1 - 1  (H)    -    
 Sep 24th Friendly (Pre-season) 7 - 3  (A)    -    
 Jul 8th Friendly 0 - 2  (A)    -    
 Jul 12th Friendly 3 - 0  (A)    -    
 Jul 12th Friendly 2 - 1  (A)    -    
 Jul 13th Friendly 2 - 0  (A)    559    
 Jul 14th Friendly 1 - 0  (A)    -    
 Jul 2nd Friendly 3 - 0  (A)    -    
 Jul 21st Friendly 6 - 0  (A)    -    
 Jul 14th Friendly 3 - 1  (A)    -    
 Jul 17th Friendly 3 - 0  (A)    -    
 Jul 12th Friendly 2 - 0  (A)    530    
 Jul 27th Friendly 5 - 0  (A)    -    
 Apr 25th North Cup (Final) 0 - 1  (N)    400    
 Jul 27th Friendly 1 - 0  (H)    332    
 Jul 31st Friendly 4 - 0  (A)    300    
 Apr 25th North Cup (Final) 1 - 3  (H)    -    

Bazza ahead of the game against Elgin City

Latest Team News
Elgin went down 0-2 to Stirling Albion in League 2, and that was after an excellent away win at Stenhousemuir the previous week, McHardy and Dingwall scoring in each half.Last time out we suffered our first defeat in the Championship as a rather tepid display against ten man Accies saw us lose 2-1 @ NDP. Great strikes by Smith and Ryan had Accies in control and a backs to the wall determined effort saw them hold out until the 92nd minute when Michael Gardyne scored a superb curling effort from just inside the left edge of the box. Too little too late though and our shot shy performance got what it deserved. 

Billy Dodds kept his injuries quiet prior to the defeat at Hamilton where David Carson, Danny Devine and Aaron Doran all missed out. Shane Sutherland was back in action last week after injury and will no doubt be looking for a start against his former team. Expect Reece McAlear to start in this one and it's a good opportunity for Billy Mckay and Lewis Jamieson to impress with Cammy Mackay getting a chance to shine between the sticks. Barry Wilson was the main man for the previous round and he will be in charge of this one against the club he previously managed.

Elgin's Gavin Price has former Inverness youth and exciting young prospect Matheus Machado in his squad. Tom Grivosti on loan from County as well. Kane Hester has been out recently having pulled his hamstring in training last week and missed City’s 1-1 draw at League Two leaders Kelty Hearts. It is a medial hamstring strain requiring a minimum of three weeks rest, with a worst case scenario of six weeks out. He will be a big miss for City having netted seven goals this season with 48 goals for the Black and Whites in just 82 starts.

Elgin last time out: McHale, Spark, Grivosti, McHardy, McPhee, MacEwan (Allan 90′), Mailer (Wilson 46′), Cameron, T.Dingwall, R.Dingwall (Sopel 85′), O’Keefe (Machado 73′)

View full article

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jack Waddington said:

Fully deserved to lose that.

I don't think so :lol:   We controlled most of the game.  Elgin scored with the first two chances that they had, and even then I wasn't worried.  We were getting into their box with ease, but then screwing things up. I was reminded of my comments from last week, saying that we made plenty of chances but couldn't finish.

Then Mckay popped up to level things before half-time, and the second half was going to go only one way.  I predicted 4 or 5 - we certainly should have had at least 5.

I think Duku has had a fair run to prove himself, but it's time to suggest that he starts looking elsewhere.   He made a mess of his scoring chance, and otherwise was, as usual, coming off second-best in tussles in non-dangerous positions towards one side of the pitch.  He tries, but he is just not effective.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

I don't think so :lol:   We controlled most of the game.  Elgin scored with the first two chances that they had, and even then I wasn't worried.  We were getting into their box with ease, but then screwing things up. I was reminded of my comments from last week, saying that we made plenty of chances but couldn't finish.

Then Mckay popped up to level things before half-time, and the second half was going to go only one way.  I predicted 4 or 5 - we certainly should have had at least 5.

I think Duku has had a fair run to prove himself, but it's time to suggest that he starts looking elsewhere.   He made a mess of his scoring chance, and otherwise was, as usual, coming off second-best in tussles in non-dangerous positions towards one side of the pitch.  He tries, but he is just not effective.

Oh aye. King Billy hattrick makes it sweeter, but was shambolic to go 2-0 down in the first place

1 hour ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

Duku gives us something in attack we haven't had for a while - a danger going forward, and currently he is top of the tree for assists, along with Shane. Personally, I don't care who scores them just as long as we are creating them!

• Agree 1

Pleasing to come back so strongly after such a shaky start but we really could do with getting a couple of the missing defenders fit for the league campaign resuming next week.

A great atmosphere with an impressive turnout of both home and away fans.

• Agree 1

The Billy McKay show today. Still a very good striker. Could have been a different game without him today. Elgin had a spell in the second half when they created a few chances at 2-2; one a shot that was squirming under Cammy but came off the heel of his trailing leg. ICT seemed comfortable after that when Billy scored the 3rd.

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, jagster said:

Dukus best effort was when he wiped out a fan in the warm up. Fair play to him have the old guy his shirt after the game 

That was me!! Less of the "old" if you please!! Shirt fits the wife, so well pleased.😀

• Like 2
  • Funny 2

• tm4tj unpinned this topic