Partick Thistle -V- Inverness CT - Preview

tm4tj

5 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

We were unlucky today but In fairness, you only deseve a goal if you can find a a way for the ball to cross the white liine between the posts and below the bar.

Something we have failed to do nearly often enough this season and not at all in the last almost 200 minutes of playing time.

Aye the type of game Sutherland might of nabbed one. Goals will come if they keep up the performance level hopefully. 

Billy Dodds delighted with performance, but disappointed with result...   heard that before!   Interviewer does not really get to the point...goal scoring from chances!  Shyte stats.

Unless he can sort out goal scoring, The chasing pack will surely close in on us, Next 3 games are Ayr, Pars and Queens, hope to feck we can win those...  as long as we can score!    

League goals from our strikers:

2 Sutherland

1 Mckay

0 Duku and Jamieson

Meanwhile, Arbroath’s McKenna has 9, Partick’s Graham has 7 and there are 6 each for Raith’s Zanatta and Killie’s Shaw.

I’m not really blaming our strikers, it’s not as if they are missing lots of sitters. The service to them has been pretty poor.

• Agree 2

53 minutes ago, Yngwie said:

League goals from our strikers:

2 Sutherland

1 Mckay

0 Duku and Jamieson

Meanwhile, Arbroath’s McKenna has 9, Partick’s Graham has 7 and there are 6 each for Raith’s Zanatta and Killie’s Shaw.

I’m not really blaming our strikers, it’s not as if they are missing lots of sitters. The service to them has been pretty poor.

I am not sure that I entirely agree.

The service hasn't always been the best but the forwards have had decent opportunities in most games, concluding today's, but have failed to convert them.

They need to be sharper.

2 hours ago, Yngwie said:

The service to them has been pretty poor.

I agree. Unless you're a really good golfer, the advice is always to aim for the centre of the green, regardless of where the pin is.

So I would suggest that we always cross the ball to drop on the penalty spot, or on a line between it and the 6-yard box. 

Yes, defences will get wise to that, but as long as the ball is live in the box there is more chance of scoring than if it's gone into the stand.

41 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

I agree. Unless you're a really good golfer, the advice is always to aim for the centre of the green, regardless of where the pin is.

So I would suggest that we always cross the ball to drop on the penalty spot, or on a line between it and the 6-yard box. 

Yes, defences will get wise to that, but as long as the ball is live in the box there is more chance of scoring than if it's gone into the stand.

I am totally confused with this centre of the green and pin :lol:

Obviously if you don't take your chances you can't really say you deserved to win but we should have got the three points yesterday. We had by far the better chances but for some good saves, desperate defending and a bit of bad luck we just couldn't force the ball into the net. Walsh, Gardyne and Mckay all had great chances in the first half (still don't know what happened with the Walsh effort as I was sure it had gone in and turned to celebrate). Welsh's penalty was poor but Sneddon timed his movement off his line well. I always feel that penalties should be struck high(er) rather than low as it makes it easier for the keeper to get a stop. Doran hit the bar / forced Sneddon into a save not long after and also had another "penalty" claim waved away (though it looked like it was outside the box) before MacGregor turned a close range effort over the top.

Partick seemed very subdued. Aside from a disallowed goal towards the end, which would have been oh so cruel, I can't really think of any time Ridgers was overly troubled. Sure he had saves to make but they were all pretty comfortable. Odd move from McCall to move Tiffoney over the ICT left after Deas got yellow carded. I assume he wanted Tiffoney to try and draw a foul and second yellow from Deas but he wasn't up for that and completely snuffed one of their better players out of the game. It was superb performance from a defender on a tightrope for so much of the game.

Duffy on the other side was also much improved, perhaps as a result of having Walsh in front of him. Allardice and Welsh dominated the middle of the park and we looked a lot better attacking with Mckay, Doran, Gardyne and Walsh although we still aimed a few aimless balls towards Mckay were he was dominated in the air by the Partick CBs. With MacGregor and Jamieson coming on later on this seemed to disrupt us more than anything but I guess the likes of Doran were tiring and we needed to freshen things up.

Despite not getting the win that was easily one of our best performances of recent weeks and I would have taken a point before the game but given how it played out it was definitely 2 points dropped.

Onto Ayr next week!

Edited by RiG
  • Like 1
  • Agree 1

Ian McCall:

“We had our goalie to thank for it finishing 0-0. It all comes down to the penalty save, it was outstanding.

“In the first half they hit the bar and the post but we had two really good chances as well. I thought they were better and if any team deserved to win it was them but our goalie makes a great save. We’re now five unbeaten but we need to turn a draw into a win.”

Billy Dodds:

“I thought we played our best game of the season today,” beamed Inverness manager Billy Dodds at full-time. “I thought we were magnificent.

“The pitch wasn’t its most playable but my team, my word – that’s the best we’ve played all season.

“We created so many chances. How we’ve not won the game, I don’t know.”

Fair comments.

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

Think you are being a bit harsh with the penalty RIG. It was right in the bottom corner. The keeper seemed to be shaping to go that way before it was struck. My take ....it was just a good save. Otherwise you are spot on.......we were so on top.........so frustrating to watch

• Agree 1

• tm4tj unpinned this topic
  • Scotty unfeatured this topic