Ayr United -V- Inverness CT - Preview

Robert

In my opinion Duku is a maverick and instinctive player who does not conform to regimented football. When he started with us he caused choaos in our opponents defences, created many opportunities, which our attack wasted, came close to scoring goals and defences feared him.

I do not believe  he is suited to the regimented football which we  are trying to play. I suspect however that our Coaches are trying to shape him accordingly and it  is just not working, he is not enjoying it and his performance has taken a dive as a consequence.

I do believe however that if I am correct the Coaches should take the restraints away from him and allow him to play his natural game. This I am reasonably sure would result in our achieving our seasons ambitions.

2 hours ago, bughtmaster said:

In my opinion Duku is a maverick and instinctive player who does not conform to regimented football. When he started with us he caused choaos in our opponents defences, created many opportunities, which our attack wasted, came close to scoring goals and defences feared him.

I do not believe  he is suited to the regimented football which we  are trying to play. I suspect however that our Coaches are trying to shape him accordingly and it  is just not working, he is not enjoying it and his performance has taken a dive as a consequence.

I do believe however that if I am correct the Coaches should take the restraints away from him and allow him to play his natural game. This I am reasonably sure would result in our achieving our seasons ambitions.

I agree with this, i had great hopes for him he looked like a proper centre forward. Lets hope this situation can change and improve

2 hours ago, bughtmaster said:

No, I don't think so.  As you said, he is a maverick and instinctive, and the problem is that his own teammates don't know where he will be and what he will do. I suspect that he doesn't know either, until he does it - the very definition of instinctive.  In addition, he is simply not physically strong enough, and is easily dealt with by defenders.

We could debate whether the rest are too "regimented".  I would argue that the likes of Walsh, Doran and Gardyne are not.  But the fact remains that things are not working for Duku.

I liked what I saw at the start of the season - his willingness to put himself about, and to chase things that others would have given up on.  But more than a quarter of the season is long enough to conclude that it just isn't working.

Some of the football we were playing in the first half yesterday was excellent - I feel that we tend to panic and play more low percentage passes when we are chasing a win (or equaliser as v. Arbroath) which actually makes it less likely that we will score. We need a bit more composure in those situations. This focus on Duku is a bit strange - he only has a small portion of the game to make an impact and usually it's when we're playing a bit more erratically as I just mentioned. We're going to click soon and will start scoring goals - I hope Dodds persists with the current front 4. Also, I thought Allardice was fantastic yesterday; a really intelligent, gritty player. 

Even if we end up winning it, we're not going to run away with this league so any week where we gain points on the team above us is a good one.

Edited by Fontaines ICT

3 hours ago, bughtmaster said:

Dunno how much I agree with that considering half the time he was tracking back far enough to be at least a CDM. I get he wants the ball, but it's not helpful when we want to apply pressure, ball gets lofted over...to the Ayr defenders cos Duku is not where he's supposed to be...

Another utterly infuriating performance from ICT. Our apparent inability to kill off a game or at least seize it by the scruff of the neck is puzzling. The first half we were very good and looked like we could score any time we went forward. Second half we didn't just take our foot off the gas we pulled into a layby, drew the curtains and had a nap for about 30 minutes and completely let Ayr back into the game. Although the Ayr keeper made a number of saves most were pretty comfortable.

The defending for every goal got worse as the game went on. The second Ayr equaliser was awful to watch. Walsh and Duffy trying and failing to decide who should be picking up which Ayr player and ended up allowing the Ayr left back to run almost unchallenged into position to get a shot away. You can see in the goal clips Walsh pointing behind him thinking Duffy will pick up the runner but Duffy had already been dragged into the middle of the pitch.

Dodds bemoaned the players slacking off in the second half but I didn't see him emerge from the dugout to fire a rocket up their backsides to try and change things. 

The Duku sub and switch to 4411 didn't work. I think Jamieson should be our go to sub for changing things up front rather than Duku for the next game and unless he is injured I would like to see MacDonald get a chance from the bench as well.

On paper we should paste Dunfermline next week but we won't unless there is a big improvement. They looked useful in the 1 - 1 draw at EEP only a few weeks ago and they might have a new manager in place by next weekend with players eager to impress him so it won't be an easy one. Hopefully by then Dodds has instilled the importance of keeping the effort levels up for 90 minutes as we cannot afford to slack off even a little in these games as 6 points from the last 18 isn't good enough for where we are looking to be.

• Agree 2
  • Well Said 2

3 hours ago, old caley girl said:

And me. 

Tbh all it needed was an apology on Saturday? This non acknowledgement looks poor and petty 

Me too but I agree that, while it is good that something is happening now, an acknowledgement and apology on Saturday would have been better.

• Agree 1

21 minutes ago, Kingsmills said:

Me too but I agree that, while it is good that something is happening now, an acknowledgement and apology on Saturday would have been better.

They might have sent us a fax and we have not got it yet :wink:

• Funny 2

From Ayr's website, a couiple of days ago:

"PPV Issue | Ayr v Inverness

The Club are aware of a technical issue which affected the final few minutes of the live stream of last Saturday's match v Inverness.

The issue has since been resolved. We apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused."

I have written again to Nick Provan, suggesting that a refund or a free PPV for ICT's next visit in April would be a welcome gesture, and that I look forward to hearing what action the club intends to take.

27 minutes ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

From Ayr's website, a couiple of days ago:

"PPV Issue | Ayr v Inverness

The Club are aware of a technical issue which affected the final few minutes of the live stream of last Saturday's match v Inverness.

The issue has since been resolved. We apologise for any inconvenience that may have been caused."

I have written again to Nick Provan, suggesting that a refund or a free PPV for ICT's next visit in April would be a welcome gesture, and that I look forward to hearing what action the club intends to take.

You will be lucky but it’s worth a try!

• Agree 1

1 hour ago, Kingsmills said:

They have no legal obligation to make a gesture

If I was a lawyer with infinite time and resources, I might argue that:

a) there was a contract between them and me explicitly to allow me to watch the game (unlike, for example, a contract between me and my ISP to allow general access to the internet, or the licence fee allowing me to generally watch broadcast TV)

b) it was reasonable to expect to be able to watch the entire game - no one would buy a ticket to watch only part of the game

c) in the event of failure to supply the service, they are responsible to me, in a manner similar to a retailer (not manufacturer) being responsible for remedying problems with faulty goods

d) the get-out clause about not guaranteeing the stream is therefore not valid

e) they should thus compensate their customers, and then seek redress from their service supplier (as a retailer of goods would seek redress from a manufacturer) if they can establish where the fault was - their contracts with their suppliers should include service level requirements and provisions covering service failure.

Now you can probably see why I'm not a lawyer  :lol:

• Agree 1
  • Funny 1

3 hours ago, snorbens_caleyman said:

If I was a lawyer with infinite time and resources, I might argue that:

a) there was a contract between them and me explicitly to allow me to watch the game (unlike, for example, a contract between me and my ISP to allow general access to the internet, or the licence fee allowing me to generally watch broadcast TV)

b) it was reasonable to expect to be able to watch the entire game - no one would buy a ticket to watch only part of the game

c) in the event of failure to supply the service, they are responsible to me, in a manner similar to a retailer (not manufacturer) being responsible for remedying problems with faulty goods

d) the get-out clause about not guaranteeing the stream is therefore not valid

e) they should thus compensate their customers, and then seek redress from their service supplier (as a retailer of goods would seek redress from a manufacturer) if they can establish where the fault was - their contracts with their suppliers should include service level requirements and provisions covering service failure.

Now you can probably see why I'm not a lawyer  :lol:

The only lawyers I can think of with infinite time and resources are those Conservative MPs practicing law out of their Westminster offices and charging £600 an hour for time that they are already getting very well paid for which should be devoted to serving their constituents.

Are you listening Geoffery Cox ?

• Well Said 1
  • Funny 1

• tm4tj unpinned this topic
  • Scotty unfeatured this topic